Stay at Home Moms

Loving the new house - question about grass.

Hi ladies.  We moved last week back into my childhood home and it's so gorgeous.  We've redone a lot and my DH has a wonderful talent when it comes to landscaping, so the already beautiful yard is getting even better.  My question is about toddlers in the grass.  I put a blanket down and we played with the water table, toys, etc.  Inevitabely, both LO's end up trying to crawl all over the yard.  I am sensitive to grass and break out easily from it and their legs also seem to get bumpy, but are better after a bath and a night's sleep.  Do you just let them go nuts and explore?  Or spend the time to keep them off the grass?  So far I've kind of done a bit of both.   
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Loving the new house - question about grass.

• I think you just let them explore, and hope for the best!  :-)  (Unless they are having some sort of major reaction, in which case you should be more careful.)  

A few months ago, before DD was walking perfectly, we went to a friend's house for a playdate, and she was half walking/half crawling in their backyard.  Her legs were red and bumpy afterwards, but were fine a few hours later.  She didn't seem bothered at all.  It's impossible to keep a crawling/walking baby on a blanket, so don't worry too much about it.

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • imagehealthynut:
    Hi ladies.  We moved last week back into my childhood home and it's so gorgeous.  We've redone a lot and my DH has a wonderful talent when it comes to landscaping, so the already beautiful yard is getting even better.  My question is about toddlers in the grass.  I put a blanket down and we played with the water table, toys, etc.  Inevitabely, both LO's end up trying to crawl all over the yard.  I am sensitive to grass and break out easily from it and their legs also seem to get bumpy, but are better after a bath and a night's sleep.  Do you just let them go nuts and explore?  Or spend the time to keep them off the grass?  So far I've kind of done a bit of both.   

What I wouldn't give to move back into our childhood home...but the only issue is if we were to move back there in the next year, the house will never be our own.  My entire family loves that home...and we really couldn't fully decorate without a comment, ya know?

How did you get out of that?  Did your family sell the home and you re-bought it from a separate owner?  Or was it in the family the entire time?

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DS still crawls, so he wears long pants everyday.  He might be a little hotter, but it beats having little cuts on his knees.  He doesn't seem to mind the heat, so I just make sure he has a sippy.  Whenever we have workers, they always wear long pants in the summer.
  • imagePrincess_Lily:

imagehealthynut:

What I wouldn't give to move back into our childhood home...but the only issue is if we were to move back there in the next year, the house will never be our own.  My entire family loves that home...and we really couldn't fully decorate without a comment, ya know?

How did you get out of that?  Did your family sell the home and you re-bought it from a separate owner?  Or was it in the family the entire time?

I have a pretty awesome situation.  My grandfather bought the land and the house as it was being built and then my mother bought the house from him when I was 4 months old.  I am an only child, so there're no problems to deal with when it comes to siblings and my mother's siblings mostly moved out of state, so they weren't a problem either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So your mom was willing to allow you to make the home yours? (ie decorate/paint/etc.)  Thats an awesome situation.  I'm sure it feels great to pass the house from generation to generation.

See my Mom and Dad, I don't think they really could let go.  Right now the house is being rented for another year...what I wouldn't give to move in there.  There are a ton of memories there, but our jobs keep us where we are now.  Which is in a totally different state too!  

That really is a wonderful situation...seriously!  Congrats.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't have an issue with grass. My kids roll around in it all day. I do like to make sure they have sandals on, though, because I worry about bees/pine needles/pinworms etc.
  • imagePrincess_Lily:

imagehealthynut:

Oh that will be tough.  I'm actually moving into my BFF's mom's house next year and have thought a bit about this.  They lived in that house for over 30 years and I'm already knocking down walls and replacing floor in my  head.  

I'm sure the mom won't say anything to me, but I know it's going to be hard for her not to take it personally.  Good luck with your situation!

• I let them explore while watching that they don't put anything in their mouth. My boys haven't been sensitive to the grass at all and my 8 month old seems to really like the feeling of it. It's such a new sensation for him I'm sure. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"