High-Risk Pregnancy

Rapid Weight Gain as a Result of Insulin

Hi everyone~! 

I will be 15 weeks along this Friday and have already gained 15 pounds!!!  12 of those pounds came on rapidly over the last 3-4 weeks as a result from being switched from Metformin to Insulin.  I just don't get it.  I am eating healthy, not over eating at all and everyday I am getting fatter and fatter.  Id this happening to anyone else.  The doc even commented at my last appt. that I have gained way too much...what the heck am I supposed to do?

Re: Rapid Weight Gain as a Result of Insulin

• MrsAJLMrsAJL member

You may be retaining water. Insulin can have that effect.  Be sure you're getting in daily exercise (I don't know how far along you are, so if you're not doing any kind of exercise, a nice easy walk of 30-40 minutes is good) and drinking lots of water.  I gained 7 pounds in 4 weeks when I started insulin during this pregnancy. I've lost 5 of those pounds by increasing my water intake to help flush things out.

This should help ease the retention.  Also, have you seen a dietician? He/she may be able to evaluate how you're eating and see where you can make changes if you need to substitute some things (you may not. Just another tool if you're trying to slow down weight gain.) 

• That is interesting PP. I did not know insulin could cause water retention.  I thought it was because, I was really starving myself to maintain my GD numbers on thei diet and did not know it.  Excellent pointer.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you having a lot of lows?  That is where my weight came from.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"