Upstate NY Babies
Options

A Random List of NBR Questions

I have lots of questions I've been meaning to post on here, but haven't.  Instead of clogging the board, I thought I'd list them here.  If you can answer any of them, feel free.  :)

1. If you hang your laundry on a clothesline, do you notice fading?  I remember hanging rugs out to dry years ago, and the side that was in the sun faded.  We've been thinking about installing a clothesline, but I worry about the fading.
  2. Everyone tells me to buy produce in bulk and freeze it, but I just don't have much luck.  How do you do it?  I froze a bunch of strawberries recently, and when they thawed out they were completely mushy. 
  3. Has anyone planted veggies in pots?  We can't plant a garden in the yard since we rent the house, but I thought about trying a few pots.  It was suggested to try a Topsy Turvy tomato planter, but we just don't use tomatos enough.  I'd rather plant some zucchini or something.
  4. How do you store lettuce?  I hate how quickly mine goes bad.

Ok - that's all I can think of now.  Thanks for your help.  :)

Re: A Random List of NBR Questions

• Options
    imageJenJar:

I have lots of questions I've been meaning to post on here, but haven't.  Instead of clogging the board, I thought I'd list them here.  If you can answer any of them, feel free.  :)

1. If you hang your laundry on a clothesline, do you notice fading?  I remember hanging rugs out to dry years ago, and the side that was in the sun faded.  We've been thinking about installing a clothesline, but I worry about the fading. The sun does an amazing job at bleaching whites so I would bet that it would fade anything. Do you have a shady area that you can hang it? I bet the heat and dryness there will dry clothes quickly so you might not need to leave them outside that long.
    2. Everyone tells me to buy produce in bulk and freeze it, but I just don't have much luck.  How do you do it?  I froze a bunch of strawberries recently, and when they thawed out they were completely mushy.  I will be interested in knowing more about this because it would be nice to have fruits longer... that being said we do buy frozen fruits and for cooking or smoothies they are great.
    3. Has anyone planted veggies in pots?  We can't plant a garden in the yard since we rent the house, but I thought about trying a few pots.  It was suggested to try a Topsy Turvy tomato planter, but we just don't use tomatos enough.  I'd rather plant some zucchini or something.
    4. How do you store lettuce?  I hate how quickly mine goes bad. I wrap it in a paper towel this helps to absorb some of the moisture that will make the lettuce go bad.

Ok - that's all I can think of now.  Thanks for your help.  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you hang your laundry on a clothesline, do you notice fading?  I remember hanging rugs out to dry years ago, and the side that was in the sun faded.  We've been thinking about installing a clothesline, but I worry about the fading. *We only hang sheets/blankets but I haven't noticed any fading

Everyone tells me to buy produce in bulk and freeze it, but I just don't have much luck.  How do you do it?  I froze a bunch of strawberries recently, and when they thawed out they were completely mushy. *I never have luck either, I think thawed fruit is nasty, it NEVER tastes the same

Has anyone planted veggies in pots?  We can't plant a garden in the yard since we rent the house, but I thought about trying a few pots.  It was suggested to try a Topsy Turvy tomato planter, but we just don't use tomatos enough.  I'd rather plant some zucchini or something. *Last year we bought too many plants and put a few things in pots, they never did as well b/c roots need room. Zucchini plants sprawl to about 6 feet in diameter so that wouldn't work. You could try peppers, they grow like a small tomato plant,.

How do you store lettuce?  I hate how quickly mine goes bad. *We have fresh buttercrunch from our garden. I wash & dry the leaves, then wrap the bunch in paper towels and lay them in a ziploc baggie

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1. The only thing I ever hang to dry is sheets (I love how they smell if they are dried in the sunshine!) and other delicates, like my bras and clothes that I wouldn't put in the dryer. But I've never noticed any fading.

2. Some stuff freezes better than others... berries don't freeze well. You are better off buying those in bulk and canning them (making jam or jelly). Things I find that freeze well- basil (I make it into pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays, then transfer to a freezer bag). broccoli and cauliflower I steam first then dry it really well and freeze it. Most things I freeze are cooked into a dish, then frozen... like homemade soups and tomato sauce. I prefer fresh produce, so I don't freeze much.

3. No, I have a "black thumb"! We do have a basil plant in a pot, but I bought it at Wegmans and transfered it to a larger clay pot... it's doing really well!

4. I usually wrap it in a slightly damp paper towel and then a zip lock bag. I just bought a few really nice heads of different lettuce at the farmers market and my fridge must have been set too cold... it got half frozen, and all wilted ;(

• Options

1. I haven't had problems with fading, although I never put really nice clothes out (like dress stuff).  It's always kids stuff, t-shirts, yoga pants, etc.  And sheets, towels, rugs.

2. We freeze strawberries, but we then boil them down with sugar to make a topping for strawberry shortcake.  I think you would use frozen fruits to do stuff like pies or smoothies, not to eat alone.

3. The only stuff we have in planters is herbs (cilantro, basil, thyme, rosemary).

4. Throw in a towel with the lettuce.  There is also a plastic knife you can use to cut lettuce, it is supposed to reduce browning, but I don't own one.

• Options

Everyone tells me to buy produce in bulk and freeze it, but I just don't have much luck.  How do you do it?  On Good Eats last night, Alton was freezing blueberries. He said the trick is to get them to freeze as quickly as possible.  So instead of throwing them all in a bag, he froze them single layer on a pan first.  If you know you're going to cut up the fruit when you thaw it, maybe trying cutting it first and then laying it on a pan to freeze.

Has anyone planted veggies in pots? I've done more herbs than veggies.  I have had success with peppers though.  I'm sure you could manage most things in a deep enough pot. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "