North Carolina Babies

Help! We're bored! :)

Caleb & I are both getting bored at home. He is so whiny and just gets into everything. He hardly sits and plays with me, he prefers to climb on the table or make a mess of something. We have not been getting out much because of the heat. He doesn't have any friends in town, all are about an hour away. There is nothing indoors to do in Wilson except walk around Target...

I'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What activities/toys/games etc keep you busy & entertained through the day? I think we'll start going to story time but that is only 1 day a week. Other than that I'm just stuck..... Crying

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001

Re: Help! We're bored! :)

• I'm sorry! 

Here are a few things that come to mind.

1. Can you go for a walk early in the morning before it gets too hot?

2. Does he like fire trucks?  Maybe you can visit your local fire department and let him see the fire trucks and fire men.  

3. An inflatable pool for Caleb to play in or run through the water sprinkler.

4. Library to find cool books.

5. Maybe a fast food restaurant w/ and indoor play area.

Here is a cool website I found that has some fun activities...

https://www.productiveparenting.com/aspx/ActivityLibrary.aspx?aid=1B

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I imagine other SAHMs will have a lot more ideas than me, but I'll try to make some suggestions.

Play with play dough, color, practice marching, hopping, skipping, etc (we have little parades downstairs sometimes), get out the pots and pans and make lots of noise, get out the tupperware & lids, make paper bag puppets and play silly puppet games (put things on the puppet's head, then on your head, then on Caleb's head, etc), take cushions off the couch and make a fort, get a large ball and practice rolling it across the room, use a ball to go "bowling" with tupperware containers or whatever you have in the house, give Caleb a broom and let him sweep for awhile, have impromptu bath time (if he likes baths).

Does anything interesting ever take place at Barton?  Is that sad mall in Wilson still open? 

• Loading the player...
  • Check out your local library. Yes he is still a little young for story time and all but even my small town has lots of activities for kids of all ages.... they have story time and they also do some things at the community theater for little ones.
  • WF has a story time on Tues at 10, I know that is semi close to you. If you don't already have a water table and inflatable pool, I'd invest in one. We have spent well over an hour just splashing outside in the water table. We were out there this morning. I also just go to Target and let Jocelyn play with the toys! We take all our cushions off the couch and I let her climb, and jump on it.

We've tried play doh and crayon's and she is still too young, she eats both. 

I also let her sweep with one of those hand held sweeper things that is smaller. I know this sounds weird but we have a spray bottle and I swear that thing keeps her entertained, she loves being sprayed by it, we also go outside and just sit still and blow bubbles.

• imageECUGirl2004:

Does anything interesting ever take place at Barton?  Is that sad mall in Wilson still open? 

I'll have to check out Barton, never thought of that. The mall is even more sad than you probably remember it. Sear's closed and a few of the bigger stores (Cato, Radio Shack etc) have all moved out. There is maybe 12 stores and JcPenney's. We do go to play on the ride-on quarter cars sometimes. 

• Thanks ladies, these are great! Keep 'em coming!

• Petco/Petsmart, etc make a great "free zoo".  Liam loves to go look at the animals.

Our local Barnes & Noble has a train table that's great fun, not sure if other locations do as well.

Baby pool, bubbles etc for the backyard are also great.  Liam has a little mower (the FP bubble mower although the bubble part sucks), and he absolutely loves to "mow" the lawn.

I'll post more later if I think of more! :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just read your blog about the squirt bottle, between Caleb and Jocelyn they could spray and squirt eachother all day.

I second the BN play area and Petsmart, we do that quite often. Also, if you just go to the library and let him read books, we do that as well, even at BN also. 

• I didn't realize you were in Wilson.  Go get some Parker's BBQ!  I would have to work hard at not eating that everyday if I were in Wilson.  I LOVE Eastern NC BBQ.  I posted something similar to this back in April when I knew I'd have a few months at home.  I've found ways to pass the time, but sometimes we do get bored.  This is what Rosalyn and I have been doing..........

-Taking walks (early)

-Baby pool

-Water table

-Going to the park and swinging

-Walking in the mall and Target (this leads to spending $, but it's definitely entertaining even if you don't shop)

-Story time at the library

-Going to the movies (I can't attempt this with Rosalyn yet, but my friend took her 17 month old to the movies yesterday and she sat still!)  They have the $3 movies during the day here.

- We go to yardsales most Friday mornings.  They're less crowded and you get the first pick b/f the crowds on Saturday.

-I read an article that suggested playing "hide and seek" with items that you place around the house and you go looking for them together.  Rosalyn's not quite ready for that yet, but that's something you can do in the AC : )

ETA.  I 2nd blowing bubbles.  That definitely keeps Rosalyn's interest for a while. 

Something I just thought of is sidewalk chalk and finger painting.  Rosalyn is definitely better at FPing than drawing with the sidewalk chalk right now, but just be ready for the mess!  It's a lot of fun though.

Dance Parties!!!

• imagedbertagni:

I just read your blog about the squirt bottle, between Caleb and Jocelyn they could spray and squirt eachother all day.

I second the BN play area and Petsmart, we do that quite often. Also, if you just go to the library and let him read books, we do that as well, even at BN also. 

Omg Caleb LOVES the stupid squirt bottle! We have it to spray the cats when they are scratching and he found it one day. He can't spray out, only at himself so it's hilarious! I keep trying to teach him to spray me but he just can't get it yet. :)

I'll have to see if Books a Million has a play area, I really don't think so but I could just go read their books for free....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"