Detroit Babies

Question for MI Teachers: edit one more question

Hi Ladies, I usually spend my time over on 1st tri but had a  few questions they suggested you could help me with. Here is the repost:

Alright ladies this may be a bit long but I'll try to summarize.  I have been out of college and subbing in one school for 3 years in central/northern Mi.  I finally just today was offered a job.   I'm super excited it is what I have been waiting for but...I'm also going to need to take maternity leave in Late Jan-Early Feb sometime.  We had decided to ttc in late summer but it happened a little more quickly and well I also had no idea that I would be getting a job.  I have not told yet but plan to when I'm about 13 weeks.  I know the principal (mom of 4 boys) and the rest of that staff very well  but am still worried that she is going to be pisssed.  Plus I have no idea of what rights if any I'll have when it comes to leave.   Also what do you ladies know about insurance.  I won't be accepted by the board until early july when will insurance quick in, what is it like.  I believe they have Messa?  I know this is different for everyone but looking for a general idea.

Any ideas about either of these issues. Thanks so much for you input.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for MI Teachers: edit one more question

• First of all, congratulations on the pregnancy and the job!  I am not sure about insurance, and I know every district is different, but I had to take FMLA leave for my absence.  We could use any sick days we had (up to 6 weeks paid) and then I took the remaining 30 days unpaid.  I was out from March-June. 

I know our open enrollment for insurance is in October...I'm sure your principal will be happy for you!  Good luck :)

• I'm not a teacher, but here's what I know. FMLA allows you to take 12 weeks of unpaid leave, however you have to have worked for the employer for at least 12 months and at least 1,250 hrs over the past 12 months. So I'm not sure if you would qualify for FMLA. That being said, the school district may have it's own policy that allows you to take time off. 

As far as insurance goes, it would probably kick in pretty quick, at my job I think I was eligible the first of the month following my hire date (again this would vary by employer). My mom works for a school district and they have Messa and it's pretty good insurance, so anything baby related would probably be covered with little expense to you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure about the FMLA leave - it may depend on how long you've worked for the district.  Since you're new, you might not be eligible.  Maybe you could ask the union rep in your building? 

This is my 5th year in my district.  I started the school year and dd was born in mid-September.  Because I worked a couple of weeks, they were able to hire 2 subs to finish out the year instead of hiring someone full-time with a contract.  My guess is that if you work until the early winter, they will just sub out the rest of the year. 

As far as maternity goes - I used up my sick days.  That's it.  There's no paid maternity in my district.  The FMLA time after that was unpaid.  I took 12 weeks of that.  Then I took the rest of the year off on Child Care Leave, also unpaid. 

I would wait until you are 13 weeks or so and then say something.  You can say you were just being cautious.  Then start asking lots of questions of your principal, union rep, and HR.  Good luck :)

I'm guessing you'll have Messa in the beginning of the year.  I would assume it would cover your medical bills/baby - I was told, though, that the coverage only lasted until my FMLA leave time was up.  So we had to go on DH's insurance for the rest of the year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"