D.C. Area Babies
Options

speaking of kid's dvds...

warner has never watched tv, so we don't have any dvds for him and while we have a portable dvd player, we've never used it for him. but in a few weeks we are taking him on his first plane trip, so we were thinking of bringing it as something to occupy him on the plane and obviously picking up some dvds for him (artslvr your posts were very timely!).

here is my question, what do we do for headphones? we have only used earbuds with this dvd player...but I don't think ours will fit in his ears and I can't imagine that it would be a good idea to try. do they sell toddler head phones?

Re: speaking of kid's dvds...

• Options
    On the flights we've taken with DS we didn't use earphones just turned the volume low so as not to bother passengers but loud enough for him to hear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    Yes, they do sell little kid sized headphones. I think we got ours at Target. As we do with anything new, we "practiced" with them with DD #1 ahead of time, so the plane ride we took at that time wasn't the first time she had these things on her ears/head.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

And you probably know to do this, but I always watch the movies before DD #1 does because often in the Disney movies, there can be a pretty intense villains (101 Dalmatians, Sleeping Beauty) or somebody dies (Fox and Hound, Princess and Frog - in the first two minutes of Nemo his mother dies) and I have to talk DD #1 through it the first time she sees it or I fast forward through it.  This is why I like stuff like Mary Poppins and Tinkerbell - nobody dies - and DVDs of TV shows like Dora the Explorer or something like that - pretty safe.  She didn't really start watching TV until she was about 2 yrs. old, though, so she sort of understood when I explained stuff.

TV shows you might want to check out - Yo Gabba Gabba, Wow Wow Wubzy, Wonder Pets, Blues Clues and Dora the Explorer.  The first two any age can watch, you don't really have to follow a story.  WP, BC and Dora may be a little old for him content-wise, but he'll likely enjoy the action.

On the other hand, Warner and my DD #2 are simlilar ages, and my DD #2 (and probably most kids under 2) still doesn't really get what goes on in any of the movies or TV shows she watches.  They don't hold her attention that long when she has toys to distract her.  But I do think it's worth you guys trying to bring that DVD player on the plane for him - with a lack of other things to do, I'm sure he'll appreciate the newness of it.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    imageArtslvr:
    Yes, they do sell little kid sized headphones. I think we got ours at Target. As we do with anything new, we "practiced" with them with DD #1 ahead of time, so the plane ride we took at that time wasn't the first time she had these things on her ears/head.
    Agree with all of this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have Califone Kids headphones-got them from Amazon.  They work great for little kids.  Ours have held up well for over 3 years! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"