Special Needs

special ed preschool and the school bus?

S was accepted into our public school's special ed preschool program due to her speech delay.  we are within walking distance but for all the preschoolers the school district provides bussing for the kids even though when she gets older she will be a "walker".  I am freaking out a bit about putting my "baby" (3.5) on the bus. 

did you put your DC on the school bus for preschool?  I'm so conflicted.

thanks! 

Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image

Re: special ed preschool and the school bus?

• We are finishing DS's first year today.... 3yr Preschool for SN kiddos with Developmental Delays. Yes, they offered. But, I drove him to school every day. It would mean my small boy getting an hour less sleep each day and it takes us about 7 minutes to get there. 

You choose what you need and what she needs. If the bus will afford her extra time to socialize, etc... you could do it, but it's not mandatory. Our teacher said more than anything the 'socialization' on the bus is breaking up kids from throwing things. I'm not too sure I'm interested in my 3yr being taught that yet since he doesn't HAVE to ride. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine did/do ride the bus - I do daycare and don't have room to transport, and my husband is generally an hour away. It was also recommended for separation issues. There is a driver and an aid on all of our preschool buses, and only a few children, since we go to the preschool center. If we lived in a boundary where we would be in an elementary school, on an elementary school bus, for ECSE I would probably have worked something out. My 6 y/o started riding the bus just before he turned 3, my 4 y/o just before he turned 4 (he is in regular preschool, but rides the same bus as ECSE, we just pay for it), and my 2 y/o started riding the bus for ESY 2 wks ago (she'll be 3 on Aug 31). My boys were great - my 6 y/o didn't talk when he started which made me nervous, but he was fine. My daughter cried, but just for a minute, that was hard (luckily our neighbor is her bus aide). She has literally never been away from us though, no babysitters, etc. She'll be 3 Aug 31.
    Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • Loading the player...
  • if i lived close to the school then yes i'd let my son on, but since we live 30 mins away, i don't feel comfortable with him on a bus for such a long time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My almost 4 Y/O has been riding the bus since he has been 2.5. First through EI and now through CPSE. He loves it. I really didnt have a choice since I work full time. I was nervous at first I wont lie. But he rides a small bus with one or two other kids and there is an aide. It is now part of his daily routine.

I know the decision is hard to make.

Julian David 8/7/06 and Isabella Mia 5/14/09
  • DS rides the bus to preschool during the school year and has since he was 2.5.  His is an elementary SPED bus, but there were not any medically fragile kid on it.  It wass his absolute favorite part of the day.  There was an aide on the bus and car seat harnesses for all the kids.  When he got off every day, he stood and waved until he couldn't see the bus anymore, and when he saw it outside our house in the morning, he ran right to it.  All of the kids in his class loved it, too.  He was the first stop on the route and would be picked up at 8 am for school that begins at 9 -- we never had any issues.
  • Since I had a choice (I realize not everyone does) I really took into account his ability to tell me what goes on on that bus. I wasn't comfortable at the beginning of the school year, but now he'd rat out anybody... so I'd be more willing.
  • My son was accepted into the preschool program for children with disablities in Tx.  Our school too recommends letting the children ride the bus to help with seperation issues and transitioning.  We are going to try the bus and see if it helps him.  My son has transition issues due to sensory integration disorder so we are hopeful that this will help him.  I would do whatever is best for your child.  If it helps her and she enjoys it then why not.  If it doesn't work out then not big deal.  Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    July Siggy Challenge Favorite Ice Cream - Cookies N Cream
    <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
  • Like auntie rec'd I would suggest splitting.  I was an SLP in a PK and the parents who dropped off/picked up were more active/involved in the classroom.  They were also more likely to connect w/ other parents and have playdates, teacher might tell you more anecdotal info which is nice, compared to what they write in communication log, etc.  It seemed like we never saw many of the parents of the bus riders - of course we saw them at IEP time and such.

Good luck!  

Chrissy BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"