TTC After a Loss 6 Months+
Options

Quick advice needed

I am scheduled for an interview in a couple of hours.  I emailed her yesterday and asked her what the salary range for the position is and she never responded.  My guess is it's much lower than I am willing to accept and she knows it, so she is going to try and bait me with an excellent benefit package.   I know it will come up in the interview and If it is an amount that is way too low for me to accept, what is the most graceful way of saying that when your sitting in front of 5 people interviewing you?  I don't want to seem ungrateful for the interview and I don't want to seem like a jerk for wanting more money.  Advice?!?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Quick advice needed

• Options

Don't sell yourself short. You know what you're worth, and dont settle for less (unless they 100% cover IVF. Then take the job, take the IVF and RUN)

I would just say that you are unable to accept an offer that's below your baseline.

It may be crass, but you know what? In your position, the interviewer wouldnt accept the low salary either.

Stillbirth at 23w6d on Sept, 22, 2008 M/C at 5 weeks June 14, 2010 My miracle, James Frederick born May 2, 2011 via C-section
  • Options
    I don't really have much advice, but I think the only "proper" time for such things is if they offer you the position.  Then you start the negotiation process and try to get more $$. It is a hard question. 
    Forever buddy to Angelica; Natural Miscarriage Jan. 2008 @ 11 weeks; 2 years of BFFN's; DX: Unexplained IF (RE thinks IF is due to tubal issues); IUI #1 & 2= BFFN; IUI#3 = BFP, resulted in Cornual ectopic pregnancy; IUI #4 - 6 =BFFN; Our next endeavor... IVF. 1 grade AA embryo transferred on 4-23-2011 and 5 frosties. BFP Abby born 1/5/2012

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If they offer you the job/give you the salary, can you tell them you need to think about it? I agree with Carrie that you should not sell yourself short, but they may be willing to negotiate. You can let them know you need to process all you have talked about before giving an answer.

Oh, and GOOD LUCK!!!

• Options

Thanks for the advice ladies - I probably should have clarified more.  It's a government position with a salary range.  The high end is still much less than I am willing to accept.  The salary schedule they have posted was for last year, so when I emailed her I asked her for the current year salary range.  I didn't see the old salary range until after I accepted the interveiw - otherwise I wouldn't have accepted. 

• Options

I agree with suntoto, that I wouldn't bring it up until they offer you the position.  But, I see your last post that it's a government position, which means they have very little wiggle room.  If you know their top level is much lower than you'd accept, I think I might cancel the interview.  Otherwise, I'd say go and see and then decide once you have the full info.

Missed m/c 11.09 | Missed m/c 3.10 | We miss you & love you so.
    ~ ~ ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Formerly toddandjulie
  • Options
    If it is a federal gov job, they are required by law to give your the current year salary range, which I think can be found online. 
    Forever buddy to Angelica; Natural Miscarriage Jan. 2008 @ 11 weeks; 2 years of BFFN's; DX: Unexplained IF (RE thinks IF is due to tubal issues); IUI #1 & 2= BFFN; IUI#3 = BFP, resulted in Cornual ectopic pregnancy; IUI #4 - 6 =BFFN; Our next endeavor... IVF. 1 grade AA embryo transferred on 4-23-2011 and 5 frosties. BFP Abby born 1/5/2012

imageimageimage
  • Options

imagesuntoto:
    If it is a federal gov job, they are required by law to give your the current year salary range, which I think can be found online. 

It's local government (school district).  I have an interview for a Fed job next week, which I am really excited about. 

Thanks for the advice!  I'll just got to the interview and see what happens.  I can always just tell them that I am unable to accept that salary range and thank them for their time.  Who knows - maybe she can work some magic since it's an unusual position within the school district.

• Options
    imageKelinandKevin:

imagesuntoto:

It's local government (school district).  I have an interview for a Fed job next week, which I am really excited about. 

Thanks for the advice!  I'll just got to the interview and see what happens.  I can always just tell them that I am unable to accept that salary range and thank them for their time.  Who knows - maybe she can work some magic since it's an unusual position within the school district.

That's what I was going to suggest.  If they really like you, they may be able to work with you.  At my place, we're always creating new titles or putting people in titles they don't really do so that they can get more $$ despite the brackets.  GL!

---------------------------------------------------------------
    4 early losses 2009, 2010, 2015.  Baby #1 born 2/13/11.  
  • Options
    imageKelinandKevin:

imagesuntoto:

I think this is totally an acceptable and proper way to handle it.  Good luck!

• Options
    imageambrandau2:
    imageKelinandKevin:

imagesuntoto:

I think this is totally an acceptable and proper way to handle it.  Good luck!

Me too!  Good luck with the interview.  I'm sure you'll impress them so much that they will be throwing money at you.

• Options
    imageKelinandKevin:

Thanks for the advice ladies - I probably should have clarified more.  It's a government position with a salary range.  The high end is still much less than I am willing to accept.  The salary schedule they have posted was for last year, so when I emailed her I asked her for the current year salary range.  I didn't see the old salary range until after I accepted the interveiw - otherwise I wouldn't have accepted. 

Honestly, and I don't mean for this to sound mean, but if she emailed you the salary range and you knew at that time it was lower than what you can afford to accept, I would not have taken the interview. Sorry, just being honest. However, if the interview is already scheduled, just go through the motions and turn the position down when the salary comes up. Good luck ... maybe the benefits really are fantastic!!

• Options

They'll probably ask your "range" but I doubt that will even come up during the formal interview.

Is there an HR recruiter?

Momma to three boys: Henry - 4yo Alex - 18mo Jack - born 2/23/12 at 20w due to ruptured uterus (previa and accreta resulting in hysterectomy) He only lived here on Earth for an hour, but he will live in our hearts forever. m/c #1: sept '09, m/c #2: july '10
  • Options
    imageLMichelleG:
    imageKelinandKevin:

Honestly, and I don't mean for this to sound mean, but if she emailed you the salary range and you knew at that time it was lower than what you can afford to accept, I would not have taken the interview. Sorry, just being honest. However, if the interview is already scheduled, just go through the motions and turn the position down when the salary comes up. Good luck ... maybe the benefits really are fantastic!!

Wow, well... I did type above that I didn't see the salary range until AFTER I accepted the interview.  Also, the range that is posted is for last year and not this year.  But I do appreciate your honesty.

• Options
    good luck at the interview! that is a tough position to be in.
  • Options
    Hope the interview went well.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"