Working Moms
Options

For those with a nanny ... questions about meals for LO

I've been WAH since DD was 9mos old ... now I'm going back to the office 4 days a week and our nanny will be giving DD her lunch and dinner.

Since I'm home now, I usually come down during lunch to eat with her and let the nanny know what to make or make it myself.  When you're out of the house, do you leave detailed directions about meals or let the nanny figure it out on their own? Do you leave dinner already prepared for LO to just be reheated? How does the nanny handle preparing dinner if she's also watching your LO?

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those with a nanny ... questions about meals for LO

• Options
    My nanny cooks lunch and dinner for my son when she's here.  I don't tell her what to prepare- she is a better cook than I am and better at giving him variety so I let her do her thing.  When he was younger, she'd set up the exersaucer outside the kitchen and cook for him.  Now, she tends to make him a very easy lunch (usually pasta and yogurt for dessert) and he hangs around the kitchen while it cooks.  She and my son are usually out for lunch in nice weather so I give her money and she buys him lunch (chicken fingers, hamburger, etc.).  She cooks his dinner (usually a stir fry of some sort or a rice dish) while he naps in the afternoon and then just heats it up when it's time for dinner.  
  • Options

It's only lunch for us, but I usually have something prepared for DS that just needs to be reheated.  part of it has to do w/ that for the longest time, he was addicted to mac & cheese, so we just always had it in the fridge.

however, now the reason has shifted- DS was recently diagnosed w/ celiac disease and can't eat wheat or gluten.  So I'll have food prepared for him that is gluten free. 

We're switching nannies soon, though, and I think that w/ the new one, I might start letting go of some of that control! ;) 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's just lunch (not dinner) for us, too. The nanny usually makes fairly simple lunches (sandwiches, pasta, fruit, yogurt, heats frozen veggies) and/or reheats leftovers from dinner the night before.  The older one plays by himself and the baby (now 1yr old & 3yr old) will sit in the highchair with a toy and/or an appetizer while she makes lunch. Sometimes she'll do some lunch prep (cut up fruit, etc) while the baby naps.

For the first few weeks, I either made their lunches or told her what to make every day so she could see what they normally eat. Once she got a good idea, I let her decide/make it. If I want her to give them something specific that day, I'll tell her in the morning. She also writes down what she gives them so I know what they're eating - both from a nutritional standpoint & so we're not repeating an item for lunch & dinner too often. Hope that helps!

• Options
    Ali212Ali212 member

I completely let my nanny do it -- decide the meals and prepare them.  She's super healthy, is a great cook (better than me) and she can easier figure out a variety based on what else she has fed my daughter that day / week.  Our nanny makes a lot of things -- lunch is typically something like pasta/tuna fish and veggies with yogurt or fruit for dessert, dinner is typically something like salmon/chicken with some couscous/rise and veggies with fruit for dessert.

I do the grocery shopping so I pick out what we have in the house for my daughter...my nanny will pick things up from time-to-time but I tend to buy most of the items we have for her to eat so I do know what she's generally eating.

5 IUIs | 4 IVFs | 2 sweet little girls Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I make a menu and she follows that, although she has flexibility to make adjustments as she see fit. Basically as long as it's healthy, she can give the kids what she wants.  I make a menu so that I know what to have in the house and to make sure they have variety.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"