TTC after 35

I have a diagnosis!

After 9.5 years of no diagnosis, I finally have something! I am so flipping happy to rid myself of "unexplained IF"....

My testing came back positive for MTHFR (heterozygous C) and PAI 1. So, today I start Metanex and continue my baby asa for life. I know I was tested 9.5 yrs ago for MTHFR and it was neg and I carried a pg to term on baby asa only. My dr said rarely it can be latent and rear it's head later in life. I'm not sure if I was ever tested for PAI, I believe that's a newer thing to look for. I'm waiting for a call back from the NP to ask a few detailed questions (one of the office people called to give me my results, they are not the most knowledgeable of the practice). I have no idea if I have Heparin or lovenox in my future, just happy to have something abnormal to put my finger on!

1 ectopic 3 m/c's prior to 5/05 Un-freaking-explained IF 5/05 IVF, BFN 9/05 FET 3d5e, BFP = Beautiful Baby Girl (lucky pg #5) 8/08 Fet 3d5e, cp 12/08 IVF with PGD, transfer 3, BFN 5/09 FET transfer 4, BFN Hail Mary IUI with Follistim 9/11 BFP; 9/22 confirmed tubal/MTX 4/10 FET 3d5e, BFP!!!! m/c 5/26/10 1 year break and yet another m/c 5/11 FET #5 initial beat 121, second beta 7 Lap and removal of L tube and very mild endo 7/11 Suprise BFP 12/11 & m/c @ 8 wks. After 11 losses and one beautiful miracle our journey is over, we are thankful and at peace.

Re: I have a diagnosis!

• I'm glad you have a diagnosis.  Now you can start medicinal therapy and maybe get you BFP to term.  Good luck.
  • Remind me what PA1 is? What is Metanex?

I have homo MTHFR (two copies of C) which is the most severe. I take a baby aspiring (for life) and I do the Lovenox when I'm pregnant (shots never bother me but those suckers sting!)

You take extra folic acid right? 

I'm glad you have some answers.  Yes

• Loading the player...
  • steverstever member
    Yay! I wish it didn't take so long for you to be DX'd, but better late than never I guess.
  • YAY for getting dx...now you are on your way to BFP!!  woohoo!  GL!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image*Chicken*:

Remind me what PA1 is? What is Metanex?

I have homo MTHFR (two copies of C) which is the most severe. I take a baby aspiring (for life) and I do the Lovenox when I'm pregnant (shots never bother me but those suckers sting!)

You take extra folic acid right? 

I'm glad you have some answers.  Yes

Metanex is a different version of Foligard, it's 2.4 of FA with some of the B vits.

PAI 1 is Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor 1, it acts as an inhibitor of fibrinolysis which is how your body breaks down blood clots. So my higher levels mean my body is not breaking down clots, it's treated with a daily baby asa for life.

I'm waiting to talk to the NP to get more specifics, the chic who called me from the office was shocked when I asked her if my MTHFR was A or C and hetero vs homog. I have no issues with doing heparin or lovenox if needed! 

1 ectopic 3 m/c's prior to 5/05 Un-freaking-explained IF 5/05 IVF, BFN 9/05 FET 3d5e, BFP = Beautiful Baby Girl (lucky pg #5) 8/08 Fet 3d5e, cp 12/08 IVF with PGD, transfer 3, BFN 5/09 FET transfer 4, BFN Hail Mary IUI with Follistim 9/11 BFP; 9/22 confirmed tubal/MTX 4/10 FET 3d5e, BFP!!!! m/c 5/26/10 1 year break and yet another m/c 5/11 FET #5 initial beat 121, second beta 7 Lap and removal of L tube and very mild endo 7/11 Suprise BFP 12/11 & m/c @ 8 wks. After 11 losses and one beautiful miracle our journey is over, we are thankful and at peace.
  • Yay for a diagnosis!  I hope your BFP follows very soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • While I'm not glad they found something "wrong", I'm glad you now have some kind of explanation!  I hope this info helps you with your TTC efforts....maybe the non-plan plan will work after all!
  • imageMAH123:

I'm waiting to talk to the NP to get more specifics, the chic who called me from the office was shocked when I asked her if my MTHFR was A or C and hetero vs homog . I have no issues with doing heparin or lovenox if needed! 

I can't tell you how many times I've mention to nurses at either my OB or RE about my MTHFR and they look at me like I'm from another planet. I also remember when I was first diagnosed I called back to ask the nurse which MTHFR I had (you know, homo/hetero and the #'s that go along with it). She said she couldn't tell from the lab work, so I had her make me a copy of it and when I picked it up I found it right away. Plan as day.    Indifferent

I just take 4mg of folic acid (it's a Rx) and add b6 and b12 with it.  

I also have an additional blood clotting disorder (Lupus anticoagulant).  I don't mind taking the Lovenox because I was surprised that it stung.  I hear heparin shot is not as bad.

• MAH is it totally weird to be happy for you that you were diagnosed!?!  This is so exciting that you have an answer and can work toward the goal of a baby!!!  Congrats and GL.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• jcathjcath member
    I hope this is just the key you needed!  It must feel great to finally have some explanation and even better that you can do something about it!
  • Thats great you have a diagnosis. I have no clue what all is or means. Yay, hpe it comes to be a BFP in  your near future.
  • glad u have some relief from the diagnosis. I remember I was diagnosed with MTHFR, but it was the less serious/more common one so all my RE had me do was take baby aspirin while i was TTC and prego. best of luck as you move forward.

• I am very glad to hear that you finally know what is going on! It must be such a relief.  Now you are truly on your way to a BFP =)
  • Good luck moving forward.  We had "unexplained" losses and and it's frustrating. I hope this dx gives you the info you need for success.
  • That's great that you got some answers!  I'm hoping that this upcoming FET works now that they know what's going on!!!
  • Oh, MAH. That is wonderful to know that there is something more you can do to help things along. My dr puts everyone  on baby aspirin and folic acid too. I never really knew why but I guess it helps things along for all of us too. I am so happy you have an answer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maha,

I have my appointment with RE on Monday July 5 to go over our bloodwork. I've had 2 miscarriages (Dec & May) so he wanted to do furhter testing. I'm hoping that he'll be able to tell me something so I too can put a finger on it.

carrie 

• Ow wow MAH, thats great but not at the same time, but atleast as you were saying before if something was found it can begin to be fixed!!!!  Oh i hope and pray in a couple of months you will get your BFP, good luck with all!!!!
  • OscarQOscarQ member
    I'm late to this post but I'm so glad you have a dx at last.  Unexplained IF is totally frustrating.  Sometimes the dx is scary or terrible but it's an answer and in most cases, something you can work around or treat.  Glad that seems to be the case for you.  Best of luck with the upcoming FET.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"