D.C. Area Babies

Delivery at Sibley vs. Shady Grove

I've read so many negative things about Sibley that I'm considering delivering at Shady Grove (which is like 15 minutes from my house). The only problem is that my doctor delivers at Sibley. What was your experience at either hospital? Is it worth switching doctors at this point?

My problem with switching doctors is that I work in DC and it is really convenient to go to a doctor during work hours without having to take time off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Delivery at Sibley vs. Shady Grove

• Hi there-- my experience at Sibley was great! I had an amazing birth nurse and found the nurses to be helpful (some were better than others of course). The one good thing about Sibley is that it's a smaller hospital, so the staff might be more attentative to you, as Shady Grove is a larger/busier hospital. Maybe you could take a tour of both hospitals and compare?
  • I'm delivering at Holy Cross, but I've actually heard better things about Sibley than Shady Grove (all anecdotal from other people, obviously). I think your OB is probably more important than the hospital, assuming there aren't huge safety concerns. If you love your OB, I probably wouldn't switch.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Sibley and had a great experience. however, I really liked my OB so I would have gone to whatever hospital he delivered at. Sibley was definitely not the most convenient hospital for me but my doctor was more important.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all the responses. I'm especially happy to read about good experiences at Sibley. It seems as if only negative things are said at DCurbanmoms. I do like the practice where I'm going (although they also get negatives on the other board). Did any of you pay for the private rooms at Sibley?
  • I paid for a private room and it was worth every dang cent! Having my own private bathroom and quiet (well, at night at least) bedroom was wonderful. Plus I had a crap load of visitors so I would have felt really bad for the other person if I had shared a room. If you can swing it financially-- do it! Even DH was glad we sprang the extra $$ for the room.

• I am delivering at Sibley. I have heard both good and not so good things about Sibley but I love my doctor and that is the only place where she practices. I think every place you go to would both have pros and cons. Same issue when I was looking for an OB-GYN. I have read bad reviews regarding the OB practice that I go to but so far my experience has been wonderful!
  • Like you I lived near Shady Grove but had a downtown OB. I switched to deliver at SG, but I wasn't too enamored of the first practice (great GYN, not so great OB). I delivered at Shady Grove and had a good experience. 11 weeks is not too late to switch OBs, but if you like your OB, it may be worth it for you to go to Sibley. I personally was very happy that it was a short drive to the hospital! Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought Sibley was phasing out the shared room thing (I think there was only two left when I was there)? I did pay for my own room and it was worth it. There were women on my floor who did not pay and got single rooms because there was no one up there (I guess it was a slow baby week).I thought the nurses were fantastic at Sibley and my 5 day stay there was very nice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My friend just delivered at Sibley and loved it.  She said the nurses were great.  Hope this helps.
  • Thanks again to everyone for responding. I'm also going to talk to my NP about this.
  • I will deliver at Sibley and have had two surgeries there. I loved it there, and I haven't heard anything negative, but I'm not on dcurbanmoms either. Many of my friends have delivered there, and they all had great experiences. 

I thought that Sibley was remodeled, and that they only have private rooms now.  

On the other hand, I have not heard good things about Shady Grove (EMT's I know call it Shaky Grave) and I believe it was in danger of losing its accreditation a few years ago. My former boss's wife delivered there and she had to share a room with a teenage mom. I don't know if they are all private rooms now though.

• imagektwilley:

On the other hand, I have not heard good things about Shady Grove (EMT's I know call it Shaky Grave) and I believe it was in danger of losing its accreditation a few years ago. My former boss's wife delivered there and she had to share a room with a teenage mom. I don't know if they are all private rooms now though.

10 years ago Shady Grove's accreditation was investigated but ultimately not revoked. No issues when I delivered there. There's a level III NICU and the maternity wards have undergone renovations. I believe all the L&D and postpartum wards are private, except for the immediate c-section recovery room. GL in your decision!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had the same situation, live near SG but doctor was Sibley. I enjoyed Sibley, it was a great experience and they provide alot of  postpartum care.ie daily visits from a lactation consultant. normally they only come by when there is an issue.  I should note, i thought a 20 min drive was nothing to get to Sibley but I didnt account for the back to back blizzards that hit in Feb,---luckly I was induced when the roads cleared. so dont underestimate you ability to get to the hospital, even rush hour could be annoying.

The only problem with Sibley is paying for the private room. I was not about to sell out the $230 a night, but after my surprise C-section, i refused to have my husband leave my side so we paid for one night and then moved the next morning to a shared room. My double room was empty until the night before I left and boy was it crowded and awkward. Another downside in a shared room your baby can not stay with you alone on the first night if you had a C-Section, where in a private room your spouse will be there so they allow the baby to stay in case there is a problem. I dont know about you, but I was glad my baby stayed with me on the first night. You wait 9 months to see him, not to have someone move him away 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"