South Florida Babies
Options

He walks but doesn't crawl!

Matthew's been walking for almost 3 weeks but the kid doesn't crawl!  He only scoots on his behind.  I've never seen him get on all four like most babies.  I'm a bit concerned.

Let me tell you, Google is scary. 

Re: He walks but doesn't crawl!

• Options
    LOL no need to be concerned... I never learned to crawl!  It's common :)  Abby learned to pull up and glide before she learned to crawl, too.
  • Options

I'm just a bit worried and I'll bring it up to the pediatrician. 

It seems like there is a strong correlation between never crawling and a delay in speech.  I just spoke to my friend who is a PT for young children with Autism and she even said that some believe there is a link between never crawling and autism. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like Jenny said, it should be fine.  Some kids just learn to walk and skip the crawling part.  But, from what you read and have heard, it does sound scary.  It's a good idea to bring it up with the pedi JIC and he may be able to tell you some other early warning signs to look for.  I'm sure he'll be fine but it doesn't hurt to be aware of all possibilities.   
  • Options

Why does it seem like everything a kid does or doesn't do these days is related to autism? ::shrugs::

Moving along, if it makes you feel better my little cousin never "crawled". She'd sit on the ground and then use her leg to scoot herself.

She knew her alphabet by the time she could talk. She took dance until she was about 10 (and was really good). She was always ahead of all the kids in her class. She's an amazing singer. Now that she's in highschool she's an honor student. She taking college courses in the summer. She's an uber talented photographer (she recently won an award given out by the state). Her only down fall is that she's a little lazy lol

So I'm guessing she's alright.....and Matthew will be too!  :)

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options

step away from the google!!! 

seriously, it's not to make light of it, but it seems that no matter what happens, there's some correlation between any sort of delay and autism nowadays.  Definitely bring it up at Matthew's 15 month appointment, but try really hard not to google that stuff.  Hard than it sounds (trust me, I spent days googling strabismus lol) but it's for the best.  If he's walking, is responsive, etc... try not to be too concerned.

• Options

Crawling is not a developmental milestone that is measured by pedis since there are so many variations of it (including scooting) that are just as good.  As long as he can get to where he needs to go by a certain age in some manner - scooting, rolling, crawling, hopping on knees, walking, etc it's all good!

Step away from google!!!! 

image image

• Options
    I wouldn't worry, I hear crawling isn't really a milestone anyway (it's just something kids either do or don't do). Abraham also just scoots on his butt, he WILL NOT get on all fours, and when he does, he hits his face. He really doesn't wanna crawl, OR WALK BY HIMSELF for that matter! I seriously grab him by the back of the shirt so he can walk by himself and he does it, I let go of his shirt, he takes 3 steps, looks back at my hands and FREAKS and throws himself down when he sees I'm not holding on!!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Zoe was a VERY late crawler. 12 months and 2 weeks. She was already pulling up to standing before she crawled. She did eventually do it, but the pedi told me not to worry if she skipped it completely!
  • Options
    You can see it as this. Matthew maybe thinks crawling is a useless step. He wants to be a pro and just walk- no time being wasted ;) To give you piece of mind talk to the pedi, but whatever you do DO NOT GOOGLE! Oh my goodness- if we googled everything, our kids would be in bubbles! Enjoy the Frankenstein walk and take plenty of pictures!
  • Options
    I heard crawling wasn't a milsestone! I wouldn't worry about it- lots of babies skip crawling all together.
  • Options
    I know someone whose baby sat still like a lump on a log until 13 months old and then just stood up and started walking one day.  It is not unheard of to walk and not crawl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"