North Carolina Babies

FYI about sun shades in cars

So I was on my way home this morning and for some reason the police were stopping people on the rd to check licenses.  The officer that checked mine said, "I know why you have that tint on your window (with Nora in the back seat), but you know it's illegal, right?"  I said, no, of course....it's an eddie bauer window tint plastic sticky thing....got it at Target.  I asked him why they would be sold if they were illegal and he explained they aren't illegal, but the way I'm using it makes it illegal...I guess people would use them somewhere else besides their cars?  he politely explained that a pipe to smoke out of isn't illegal until you smoke marijuana out of it... haha

Well I have had this on my car for almost two years and have never got in trouble for it and he didn't ticket me today or anything, but I'm questioning if I should leave it on there or not now... I think it helps keep the car cooler in the blazing hot summer, but I'm not sure...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FYI about sun shades in cars

• Oh wow--We've got the same one, and I've never heard such a thing! Weird!

I think we'll leave it for now. I hate the suction cup ones, and Holly definitely needs it since my back windows aren't tinted.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Yeah, most states have a maximum amount of tint you can have on your windows. Limos are permitted to have them darker in the back, but regular cars are limited lighter.

I suppose that your tint on your car windows + the tint on the sticky thing > the legal limit of tint. I wonder if they're illegal if your windows on your car aren't tinted at all (meaning I wonder if the sticky thing itself is tinted over the legal limit for vehicles)?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i have the same ones, obviously, i think that if a cop gave you a ticket for that, then he's being a major jerk!! lol.  bc obviously, you aren't using the tint to hide your drug use, it's for your child! 

besides, why would target sell those (which are obviously for car use) if they were truly illegal?  i think that if you were using it to make your tint darker so you could hide what you were doing in your car... then yeah, totally illegal there!  but what you are doing, i don't think should qualify as illegal.

that being said, i have those and i think they suck LOL!  must be my car or something though bc i just can't get them to stay stuck to the window.  the heat makes them fall right off.  and i hate the ones w/the suction cups too.  i usually just end up using a receiving blanket tucked in the window to keep the sun off ds (probably illegal too huh?). but that doesn't work for the back window.... since i'm usually in the back w/him i just kind of stuff whatever i can to give him some shade.

they really should design something that worked better to provide shade for kiddos in rear facing seats!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sure technically they do make your windows too dark and therefore illegal.  But I'd keep using it and play dumb if someone ever says it to you again.  You've only got it on one window and as long as your car is passing inspection I wouldn't care.  That's something they're supposed to check with an inspection but I got by with dark tint for years before anyone ever said anything about it on my old truck.  I very seriously doubt anyone would ever write you a ticket for it, and even if someone did, you could get it dropped.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesophabelle:

besides, why would target sell those (which are obviously for car use) if they were truly illegal?  i think that if you were using it to make your tint darker so you could hide what you were doing in your car... then yeah, totally illegal there!  but what you are doing, i don't think should qualify as illegal.

Different states have different laws - that is probably why they sell them.

I don't have one, but I think it is kind of silly, glad he didn't give you a ticket!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"