North Carolina Babies

Poll:Delivery/Birth of your LO(s)

So we all have had such different birthing experiences with our LO's and its fun to see what other's birthing experiences were like, so I thought a Poll would be fun.

How many weeks were you at delivery?

Induction or on your own?

Pitocin?

Pain meds/epi?

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?

C-section v. Vaginal?

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?

Did things go the way you wanted?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Poll:Delivery/Birth of your LO(s)

• How many weeks were you at delivery?  37w 6d

Induction or on your own?  On my own

Pitocin?  Yes

Pain meds/epi?  Yes

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  20 hours after my water broke, was only 5cm

C-section v. Vaginal?  Csection

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  I was put to sleep for my csection, so I saw her an hour after she was born, but did not hold her for 4 hours after she was born.

Did things go the way you wanted?  NOT AT ALL

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How many weeks were you at delivery?  Natalie - 40w6d, Claire 39wk2d

Induction or on your own?  Natalie - induced after labor stalled; Claire -- planned c/s

Pitocin?  Natalie - yes; Claire - no

Pain meds/epi?  Natalie - epi; Claire - spinal

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  Natalie - 19 hr, no pushing.  Claire - no labor

C-section v. Vaginal?  Both c/s

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  Natalie - 2 hrs (?), Claire -- 1 hr

Did things go the way you wanted?  Natalie - no.  Claire -- yes, given I'd decided to go with a planned c/s.  In an ideal world, I would not have had a c/s with either.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 41 weeks, 4 days

Induction or on your own? induction

Pitocin? yes

Pain meds/epi? epidural 

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? In labor for 18 hours, never pushed because I didn't progress past 4 cm

C-section v. Vaginal? c-section

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? ETA: However long it was after they sewed me up and sent me to recovery. Not sure how long it was. I was pretty doped up on the morphine they gave me as they were closing me back up becuase I began to feel it. Ugh.

Did things go the way you wanted? Not really, but then again, my only birth plan was "get this baby out of me safely." I do wish I'd gone into labor naturally, and had her vaginally. But I am not upset or sad about how things turned out.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 42 weeks exactly

Induction or on your own? Induced Pitocin? Yes

Pain meds/epi? Yes. & they didn't work.

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?
    9 hours of pitocin induced contractions.

C-section v. Vaginal? C-section

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? 2 hours

Did things go the way you wanted? Not at all.

PortraitBabyFruit Ticker
  • How many weeks were you at delivery?  37.5 weeks

Induction or on your own?  On my own- water broke.

Pitocin?  No

Pain meds/epi?  Yes, I had a c/s (although I would've gotten an epi either way).

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  My water broke around 1:30 am, Maddie was delivered at 11:30 am.

C-section v. Vaginal?  C/s, thanks to my stubborn little breech baby!

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  Maybe 30 minutes? They just stitched me up and took me straight to recovery where I was able to hold her immediately.

Did things go the way you wanted? Ideally I didn't want a c/s. But since she was breech, and I had to have one, I feel like it went as well as it possibly could have. I was prepared for it, it went well and I was with Maddie and DH the entire time, so I can't complain. I was very happy with my birth experience.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? About 41

Induction or on your own? On my own

Pitocin? No

Pain meds/epi? No

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? My water broke at noon, then contractions started about 2 hours later.  DS was born about 15 hours after contractions started.  I pushed for 2-3 hours.

C-section v. Vaginal? Vaginal

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? Immediately. 

Did things go the way you wanted? Yes, I had the birth I had hoped for.

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 39 and 3 days

Induction or on your own? My own

Pitocin? Yes

Pain meds/epi? YES!!!

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? Labor 14 hours, 2 1/2 hours of pushing

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? 2 minutes!

Did things go the way you wanted? They went pretty good so I won't complain!

• How many weeks were you at delivery? Exactly 40 weeks, she was born on her due date!

Induction or on your own? On my own, water broke the night before (so 39 weeks, 6 days)

Pitocin? Yup, even though my water broke, my contractions were not really progressing and I was not dilating very much

Pain meds/epi? Yup, some awful pain meds that did nothing except make me feel high and then the epi, this time around, I will only do the epi (if I can't hold out)

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? My water broke the night before around 11:30pm, Ashley was born the following night at 7:56pm. I was in labor all day, but only pushed around 15-20 minutes

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? They had to suction her lungs b/c she got fluid in them, but after that, I was able to hold her, so probably about 10 minutes?

Did things go the way you wanted? Sort of, wish I had not had so many drugs (the pitocin, the pain meds, antibiotic b/c water broke and she was not born right away). This time around, I really really hope I can avoid all of the drugs except maybe the epi.
  • How many weeks were you at delivery?  39w2d

Induction or on your own? Went into labor on my own

Pitocin? About 6 hours after i got to the hopsital they started me on pitocin to try and regulate my contractions and make them more productive

Pain meds/epi? I got my 1st epi about 26 hours into labor when they had about maxed me on the pitocin and the contractions go so strong and it didnt take so about an hour or so later they gave me a 2nd one which took and was amazing and i didnt feel a thing after that!

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? I was in labor for about 30 hours

C-section v. Vaginal? C-section...after 30 hours of labor...water breaking on its own and the max amount of pitocin the dr. likes to give I was only 3.5-4cm dialated. (turns out DS was sunny side up!)

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? Prolly like 30 min or so...i didnt really have a concept of time cuz of the section but it was soon after I came into recovery where my mom was giving him his 1st bath (cuz she's an ob nurse and knew my nurse who let her do it!!) and then i held him in recovery and all the way to my room when they rolled me there!

Did things go the way you wanted? Not exactly cuz I wanted to deliver vaignally but my csection went realy well and i had a good birth experience and was about to be with DS very soon after I delivered! and i had a pretty easy recovery!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • How many weeks were you at delivery?  32

Induction or on your own?  on my own

Pitocin?  yes, but not to induce, only for placenta delivery.  it's standard at my hospital

Pain meds/epi?  epi that did not work

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  My water broke at 11 pm, but I wasn't in active labor until 6 am the next day.  He was born at 8 am.  I only pushed for a few minutes. 

C-section v. Vaginal?  vaginal

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  immediately

Did things go the way you wanted?  Obviously I didn't want him early, but otherwise yes, for the most part.  But I didn't realize I wouldn't like what I thought I wanted.  And obviously I didn't like that my epi didn't work.  So maybe my answer is no?  IDK, I'm not unhappy with my experience, but I do hope it's different next time.  My next birth will hopefully be much more natural.  If we had a birthing center I'd probably deliver there if I carry to full term.  But we don't, so I'm going to have to make sure my OB and DH know what I want and what I don't want and help me enforce it.  I might even hire a doula.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 40 weeks 2-3 days

Induction or on your own? on my own

Pitocin? no pit

Pain meds/epi? epi

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? from the first contraction to Nicolas birth it was 56 hours! and I pushed for 1.5 hours

C-section v. Vaginal? vaginal

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? seconds...he was placed on my belly once he came out. 

Did things go the way you wanted? I wish the labor was shorter but I had no control.  It was the best experience I could have had. The birth experience was so euphoric that I'm looking forward to having #2 in the future.

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 41w2d

Induction or on your own? Haha - No - I had a couple of rounds of cytogen - my dr said I had a stubborn cervix

Pitocin? Yes

Pain meds/epi? Both - pain meds around 4 cm dialated and then I liked them so much I got an epi at 6cm

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  17 hours total - last 3 were pushing

C-section v. Vaginal? Ended up with an emergency c-section - I spiked a high fever and baby's heart rate wasn't handling all the pitocin / pushing. 

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  Probably about 20 minutes

Did things go the way you wanted?  Not exactly, but I did get a healthy baby so I guess that's what really matters.  I was really hoping to deliver vaginally, but I guess Ella didn't read the manual b/c she was cozy! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 39 weeks 6 days

Induction or on your own? Water broke 7 hours after my membranes were swept

Pitocin? At the very end of the delivery

Pain meds/epi? Got an epi after 5 hours (had hoped to go without)

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  Labor - 7 hours, pushing 35 minutes

C-section v. Vaginal?  Vaginal

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  Just a few seconds (very thankful for that!)

Did things go the way you wanted?  For the most part yes, they had set an induction date 5 days later and I really didn't want it (high BP).  Also, I got hooked up to all the monitors & saline too early.  I wish I had been able to really walk around before the epi, I think it would have really sped things up and might have kept me from getting the epi.  Next time I know I want to hold off being hooked up to everything for as long as possible (my nurse was rude and got huffy when I wanted to use the bathroom after being hooked up so I was stuck close to the bed).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 40 weeks

Induction or on your own? Induction

Pitocin? Yes

Pain meds/epi? Epidural

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? Went in and started drugs Wednesday night at 8:00pm...he was born at 7:40pm Thursday night..so almost 24 hours from beginning to end...pushed for 2 hours before they used the vacuum to pull him out

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? immediately they put him on my chest...it was perfection!

Did things go the way you wanted? um...well I wish that I could have pushed once and he just popped out...but other than that and the stitches...all I really cared about was him arriving safely and healthy and we got that. I didnt really have a birth plan, was just going to go in and see where we needed to go with it so I was happy in the end with how things turned out.

• imageakspriss:

So we all have had such different birthing experiences with our LO's and its fun to see what other's birthing experiences were like, so I thought a Poll would be fun.

How many weeks were you at delivery? 41 weeks, on the money

Induction or on your own? induction

Pitocin? yep

Pain meds/epi? both, but not until after 16 hrs of labor

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? 18 hours - didn't even get to push

C-section v. Vaginal? c-section

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? 2 hours

Did things go the way you wanted? no - I wanted a vaginal delivery, but Wesley's head was tilted in such a way that he never dropped like he should have and my body refused to dilate more than 3.5cm before the doctor decided a c-section would be safest for us both

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 39

Pitocin? Nope

Pain meds/epi?  Epi, of course!!!

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? 13 hours and pushed for 50 minutes

C-section v. Vaginal? Vag

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? I pulled him out and right up onto my chest

Did things go the way you wanted? Yes, except the 3rd degree tear.....
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 40W 6 Days

Pitocin? Yep!

Pain meds/epi? Oh yeah!

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? 13hrs.

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? Immediately

Did things go the way you wanted? Pretty much...I just missed the surprise of going into labor.

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 39w 3d

Pitocin? yes

Pain meds/epi? I got stadol at about 4 cm and I finally broke down and got an epi at 8 cm

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? I labored for about 7 hours and pushed for about an hour.

C-section v. Vaginal? ended up with a c-section

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? nearly 2 hours

Did things go the way you wanted? I never really had a plan.  I'm a fairly lax person and go with the flow.  The whole experience was good considering.  The only thing I would have definitely changed was being able to hold Connor sooner.

image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 36w6d

Pitocin? Yes

Pain meds/epi? Oh yes! Epidural!

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? They started the Pitocin at 11am, Frankie was born at 7:38 pm.

C-section v. Vaginal? Vaginal, but she was 1 attempt at breaking my water away from being a C-section baby. Luckily my OB was persistent and gave it one last try.

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? Pretty much immediately but I only got to hold her for a few minutes before they had to take her to the nursery for 4 hours because she was so little.

Did things go the way you wanted? Pretty much. Obviously I would've rather had enough fluids in there for her to come in her own time, but the induction went well and the only thing I'd change is getting the Epidural earlier so I wouldn't have felt my OB trying to break my water. Talk about uncomfortable! Ouch!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 41w1d

Pitocin? no

Pain meds/epi? light pain med and a spinal due to emergency c section (before the epi had arrived...)

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? I say I was in labor for 8 hours, didn't push.

C-section v. Vaginal? c

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? I'm not sure! lol, I guess maybe 4 hours?

Did things go the way you wanted? No.
  • imageakspriss:

How many weeks were you at delivery? 39 weeks 1 day

Pitocin? nope

Pain meds/epi? neither!

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? in labor for about 4 hours & pushed for 1 hour

C-section v. Vaginal? vag.

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? I held him briefly as soon as he came out while DH cut the cord. it seemed like forever went by after that. they were monitoring his blood sugar and sewing up my episiotomy...

Did things go the way you wanted? very much so!

• How many weeks were you at delivery?  40 weeks 5 days

Induction or on your own?  On my own

Pitocin?  No

Pain meds/epi?  Epi!

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  12 hours including pushing and laboring.  I was fully dialated in 4 hours, but Lillian was sunny side up. Water broke at 4th hour. Pushed for 1 hours.

C-section v. Vaginal?  Vaginal

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  immediately

Did things go the way you wanted?  Yes, and my mom was there, that made it super special!

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 40wk

Induction or on your own? into labor on own

Pitocin? no

Pain meds/epi? no

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? active labor about 6 hrs I guess, pushed about 45min-1 hr

C-section v. Vaginal? vaginal

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? immediately- still attached when they put her on my chest :-p

Did things go the way you wanted? pretty much
  • For son #1:

I was 39 weeks

Induced because of pre-eclampsia

Yes, epi

I was in labor for 6 hours, pushed for 1 hour

Vaginal

I held him immediately

Yes, things went pretty close to what I expected.

For son #2:

I was 41 weeks

I went into labor on my own, although I was never really sure....

No pitocin

No pain meds, there wasn't enough time

I was at the hospital for 1 hour before he was born. I pushed for 10 minutes.

Vaginal

I held him immediately 

Things did not go as I wanted. I never, ever, ever wanted to deliver a baby without pain meds or an epi. It kind of sucked. 

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 37w6d

Induction or on your own?  Induced

Pitocin?  Yes

Pain meds/epi?  Epidural (did not work)

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?  In active labor for 3 hours until pushing, which lasted another 3 hours

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?  Immediately

Did things go the way you wanted?  Mostly.  I had an awful nurse, I had to have the vacuum, but otherwise I was just happy it was over and he was here.

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 40w5d

Pitocin? No

Pain meds/epi? Epi

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? Contrax. started roughly 9pm and Keira was born at 1:45pm.

C-section v. Vaginal? C-Section

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? I have no clue. I got to hold her when I arrived in recovery but I have no idea what time it was.

Did things go the way you wanted? I was scared of a c-section and was really not wanting one, but above all else I wanted her safe so I accepted that. I actually had a really wonderful c-section experience and although it would have been great to to push her out and get to hold her right away, I feel I have an amazing story to remember and wouldn't change it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers /">< imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • How many weeks were you at delivery? 37 weeks, 36 weeks, and 37 weeks

Induction or on your own? water broke, on my own, and induction

Pitocin?Yes with all 3

Pain meds/epi?epidural with all 3

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for?16 hrs, 12 hrs and  6hrs

C-section v. Vaginal?vaginal

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them?seconds to minutes

Did things go the way you wanted? I guess, I ended up with 3 beautiful baby girls.

• How many weeks were you at delivery? 41w 2d

Induction or on your own? On my own, day of scheduled induction

Pitocin? yep, some

Pain meds/epi? Stadol, Pitocin and Epi

How long were u in labor/how long did u push for? Total labor was 27 hours, pushed for only 20 mins. Had the Epi for only 3-4 hours

C-section v. Vaginal? Vag

How long after you had your LO before you were able to hold them? They pur her right up on my belly and then only a few mins after they cleaned her up

Did things go the way you wanted? Yes! Even better than I could have expected!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"