North Carolina Babies
Options

? for breastfeeding moms...

LO has been nursing now for over 8 weeks.  I have also been pumping to build up my stash for when I go back to work, but I do not give him any bottles.  Starting yesterday, he refuses to take my left breast.  He just cries, screams, and takes himself off.  He takes my right breast just fine.  I do not feel engorged.  I have no lumps, and my nipples are not cracked. When pumping I used to get between 2 and 5 oz on that breast.  Now I'm only getting between 0.5-2 oz.  Is my supply already starting to tank?  He's starting to STTN, but only one feeding has been dropped.  Anyone have any ideas on what's happening? TIA!

Re: ? for breastfeeding moms...

• Options

We went through some times where he had no interest in my right side, I still have no idea why for the most part.  I know when he had an ear infection he didn't want to be on that side, but he had plenty of  times where there was nothing wrong at all and he just strongly preferred one side over the other.

I wouldn't think your supply is tanking so early, but I can see your concern.  It is really difficult to nurse and pump at the same time.  Personally, if I was having trouble pumping from that side and you are still not back at work where you absolutely have to pump then I would stop so that you can make sure there is plenty of milk for him when he does try to nurse from that side.  Him nursing is going to be the best thing to bring your supply back up so I would just keep trying the left side.  I don't know if you have tried this but maybe hold him in a different position.  He is still little so maybe try the football hold or something so that he doesn't realize he is on that side from his position alone and start fighting it before he even begins.

They do weird things but it usually all works itself out and they get back to normal! 

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That sucks but I don't think your supply is tanking. My LO preferred the left boob early on so I would always offer the right one first then go to the left.  Remember that your pumping output does not accurately represent your supply.  GL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

From a mom who's had two girls refuse the bottle (either completely or only take it from one person), my first thought when I read your post was whether you mean you're not giving him a bottle at all -- is that the case?  Is someone else giving him a bottle occassionally or are you waiting till you go back to work?  I waited too long with DD#1 to introduce the bottle (6 weeks old) and she refused to take it and started reverse cycling instead.  DD#2 will pretty much only take a bottle from our nanny except under extreme circumstances (DH has only been able to get her to take a bottle if I'm out of town and she cries for awhile waiting for me to come feed her -- and only once in the last 3-4 mo.).

My supply has fluctuated with pumping -- some days I get a lot (4 oz each side), other days only 2 oz.  It depends on my stress level, how much I've drank and if my nursing schedule has changed.  I would just keep trying to nurse to keep up your supply.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks ladies for your help!  I think I may have figured it out.  I finally got him to nurse from the problem side for his last feeding of the day. Hopefully, its just not because he was tired and didn't feel like fighting!

We introduced the bottle really early on, like 3 days.  I would pump so DH could give him a bottle at night.  I really enjoyed that extra little bit of sleep! He was switching back and forth from bottle to breast just fine until about 3 weeks when we went to Charleston to visit family.  He was getting the bottle more frequently down there and when I tried to nurse after the trip he was getting fussy during the feeding.  So, we stopped the bottle for a couple of days to see if it would help him nurse better, and I think it did.  So, he hasn't had a bottle since he was 3 weeks and he is now 8 weeks.  I go back to work when he is 13 weeks.  Should I start giving him a bottle now?  When we were giving him the bottle early on, he would take it from anyone.  Or should I just continue to nurse exclusively until I go back to work?

• Options
    I would definitely start giving him a bottle, at least one a day.  Claire used to take a bottle from DH up until around 2.5 mo. old but then we stopped trying to give her the bottle on the weekends because I figured she was still taking one from the nanny each day during the week.  It is so much easier to just nurse her than pump while she takes a bottle.  But now that we're out of habit with having her take a bottle from DH, she refuses it from him (she also won't take it from anyone else but our nanny).  Since 2.5 mo. old she's only taken one bottle from him and that was last week when I was out of town and she woke up in the morning before our nanny got here for the day -- She tried holding out for me but only lasted about 45 min before giving in on the bottle.  We tried to have her take it from him this past weekend and she refused it again.  Unlike Natalie, I think she would eventually take the bottle from him if I were not home for a long period of time but it wouldn't be without a struggle.  Your LO will probably eventually take a bottle at DC with time but the more used to it he is, the less struggle it may be.  I did have a friend who's little girl refused to take a bottle during the day while she was at work -- she would reverse cycle and only nurse with her at night (multiple times at night).  Not trying to scare you but I get really nervous about this type of situation for other people given what a nightmare it was trying to get Natalie to take a bottle.  Hopefully your little guy isn't as stubborn as my girls!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"