D.C. Area Babies

So Stressed! :(

So, like I've posted before, I have partial placenta previa, and the doctors are trying to get me to 39 weeks, at which time I'll have a c-section.

Well, I'm not quite 36 weeks, and I have been having a lot of contractions on and off for a few days.  I thought they weren't a big deal because they are Braxton Hicks, but apparently they aren't good.  I pulled a muscle jumping out of the pool to chase DD yesterday, and went to the doctor because it hurt "down there."  They hooked me up to the monitor at the hospital, and I was contracting every 5 min.  I'm not dilated, so that's good, but because of the previa, they are concerned about the contractions since I can't go into labor on my own.  They gave me an IV for a couple of hours to rehydrate me in case that was the problem (I drink a lot of water and milk, so I really don't think that's the issue, but it is super hot outside, so maybe I'm not drinking enough for the weather).  

Anyway, they finally sent us home, and now I'm up after having a ton of contractions for the last few hours.  The doctor seemed pretty concerned yesterday, and has set a tentative c-section date for 38.5 weeks, but said she wouldn't be surprised if the baby comes before that, and now they are just focused on getting me to 37 weeks.  :-(  

I am so worried right now about this baby staying in there long enough, and I'm worried that I'm just going to start bleeding or my water will break, neither of which will be a good thing.  DH is staying home today so I can rest since I'm still sore from yesterday, but I SAH with a toddler, so I can't exactly sit and not move.  The doctor said sticking her in front of the TV for two weeks won't hurt her, but seriously, how realistic is that???  She loves Sesame Street, but watches it for about 30 min/day.  I'm pretty sure she would get over the excitement of all day TV really quickly.  And we can only read her favorite ten books while I sit on the couch for so long before she starts to get antsy, grabs her shoes, and waits by the front door to go play.  :-)  

And I know this sounds silly, but I have SO many things I want to get done before this baby is supposed to be here, and I feel like every time I do anything DH and my mom are going to be giving me a hard time.  He said he will take care of everything, but you all know how it is.  You want to prepare for a baby.  I feel like I'm entering that nesting phase, and I can't just sit here.  For the record, I'm not officially on bed rest, but I was told to keep my feet up as much as possible and calm down our crazy activity schedule.  Blah.

On top of all of this, our screened porch/deck contractors are starting sometime in the next two days, and are supposed to finish up in two weeks, which was going to be a full week before baby.  Now I can't help but think that they may still be here when baby comes, which isn't the end of the world, but just one more thing to deal with.  We've already paid the deposit and they obtained permits yesterday.  I just want it over and done with. 

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading.  I just needed to vent.  I thought getting to 39 weeks would be tough, but now I'd just be happy to get to 37 weeks.  The thought of a preemie baby in the NICU scares me to death.  :( 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!

Re: So Stressed! :(

• I'm so sorry :( hang in there

can someone come and stay w/ you until the baby arrives to occupy DD? a family member? or maybe even hire a mother's helper, tons of teenagers out there looking for work.

I know it's hard to take it easy but you should.

I'm thinking of you and hoping the LO stays in a few more weeks!

• Lots of hugs your way! So sorry you are having to deal with all this. You've done a great job getting this far, especially in this heat and with a toddler to chase!

I agree with Sofka, this is a great opportunity for a mother's helper, if you know anyone that is willing to help/work. It would be great because you would be there in case of an emergency, but someone else could do the entertaining! 

Sending lots of good thoughts your way! Try to relax and take care of you (easier said than done, I know!). 

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We'll all be sending "baby, stay in there" vibes your way!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  As a preemie mom (DS born at 32wks) I can tell you that in terms of development, your baby is likely in really good shape at 35 weeks.  If you do deliver LO before 37 weeks, he/she will need to breath on their own, able to eat from bottle/breast, and maintain body temp on their own.  These are all things that are completely doable at 35-36 weeks and keep him/her out of the NICU.  A friend of mine just had her daughter at 36 weeks.  She was tiny - 4lbs, but able to do all those things and went home with her parents after a couple of days. She didn't go to the NICU at all.

If your LO does need the NICU, it will likely be a short stay and very emotionally draining but the preemie board is very supportive and a great place to vent, ask questions, and celebrate.

• Oh dear, it's understandable you feel stressed!  This all pretty much sucks!

I agree with pp - sounds to me one of the most immediate needs is to get some help with the toddler.  The nesting feelings, while strong, I know, can be held at bay, and the screened in porch dudes, well, like you said, not much you can do there.  But the kiddo tugging on you wanting to do things - I'd cry "uncle" and ask for help from anybody you know.  If you don't have a friend or relative who can come stay, maybe someone could just come for the day, every other day, or just in the mornings, or something like that.   

The important thing is to keep you calm and NOT stressed, so do whatever it is you have to do to take care of YOU and the baby.  And lean heavily on DH.  I have had to lean on mine a lot lately and he's tired and stressed, but dammit, our DH's are not carrying a little person in their bodies, so in theory they can handle it!!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Oh, and also Left Hug - you sound like you need a really big squeezy hug, so I'm sending you a virtual one. 
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • I'm sorry you're so stressed. You may want to post this on the High-Risk Pregnancy board. They are a great group of ladies, and aren't insane like some of the folks on the other Bump boards. I think there are women there in similar situations, and many women on bedrest who have other kids at home. I've been going on there for a while since I've been on bedrest since 21w and will be here until 37 weeks.
  • Were you not on bed rest with the previa?

Having twins born at 31 weeks (7 weeks in the NICU) I concur with the previous poster - at 36 weeks your baby is going to be fine.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • aw, i'm so sorry that you are going through this. i've heard a lot of birth professionals say that babies come early for a reason...so perhaps it will soon be safer for your baby to be on the outside, and baby is just letting you know to be prepared!

i 2nd the idea of hiring a mother's helper. do you have teenagers around that could come by for a few hours a day? other SAHMs who could come by for playdates at your home (or even better, take DD out for a bit)?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sending hugs your way.  The other ladies had great ideas.  With re. to finding a mommies helper, I know my neighborhood newsletter always has girls listed who are looking for babysitting.  Perhaps yours does too?    
  • Thanks, everyone.  I feel a lot better (in terms of freaking out) since I got a few more hours of sleep this morning and the contractions have stopped for now.  DH is playing with DD, and I'm just sitting here with my feet up eating applesauce (I cut into a farmer's market peach that I had a major craving for, and the pit was full of ants.  Where they came from, and how they got INTO the peach, I'll never know.  *sigh*)

Anyway, my mom is planning on coming by quite a few times, so I know that will be a big help, but she can also be a pain.  She and DH literally argued last night over whether I could sit at the table to eat dinner.  She wanted me to eat lying on the couch.  DH thought she was being ridiculous.  I let her win. 

I appreciate all of the thoughts and hugs.  It really helps to be able to vent and have people "listen".  We are going to playgroup tomorrow (I think), so that will keep DD entertained for the morning, and I'll just sit and let my mom friends help out.  

To the pp who asked, the doctors haven't ever put me on bed rest because I haven't had a bleeding episode yet.  They have constantly told me to take it easy, sit a lot, etc, but no strict bed rest since I'm one of the "lucky" non-bleeders at this point. 

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Also, thanks to the preemie moms for giving me some perspective.  I really need to count my blessings that I'm already at 36 weeks and the baby is still cooking.  It could be much worse.  Congrats on your healthy early babies!  :-)
  • Pretty sure we have the same doctor, and she told me at my last appointment that 35 weeks is the threshold that they like you to get past for prematurity.  You're already past that, so I'm confident that your baby will be fine even if she/he comes very soon.
  • Not much more to add that hasn't already been said, but T&P being sent your way. 

One more suggestion for keeping DD occupied and out of your hair: could you buy her a couple of new toys?  Just anything to help her leave you alone!

• Wow. I am so glad you made this far along without having to be on bed rest - I just assumed that you were.

Hang in there and rest from here on out to keep that baby baking. Just remember that even if you should deliver now you and the baby will be ok.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"