D.C. Area Babies

Pediatric opthamologist--experiences?

Sigh. This morning Nathalie's left eye started turning inward (intermittently). DH was in glasses by the time he was 15 months so I immediately made an appointment with a pediatric opthamologist for an eval for strabismus (and anything else it might be). We have an appointment with Dr. Ellis at NOVA Opthamolgy Associates on Thursday.  Hopefully its just fatigue from 2 days of international travel but better safe than sorry. It's freaking me out a bit.

Anyway, as anyone had any experience taking their little one to a pediatric opthamologist? Just trying to get a sense of what the eval will look like.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Pediatric opthamologist--experiences?

• My son was 4 months old when he had his appointment with the pediatric ophthalmologist.  We were living in Nashville at the time, so. . . but the experience was a positive one.  The nurse ran a number of "tests" using a light--but she was really good with my LO. She knew the tricks to get his attention and to keep his attention.  They did dilate his eyes, so we had to wait a little bit for that to kick in before we saw the actual doctor.  LO did well with the doctor, I don't remember him being upset or crying.  In fact, I think that he really liked that they were paying such attention to him!  LOL!

I think that the experience will hinge upon the nurse and the doctor.  But, I would think that working in pediatrics, they should be know how to work with children of all ages. 

Good luck!  I hope that everything turns out just fine! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Love Dr Ellis. He is fantastic.

He removed Tyler's cateract and continues to monitor his progress.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • We went to a different doctor for something similar when DS was 6-months old and then again at 12-months.  The exams were pretty quick and easy.  The eye drops were the worst part.  It shouldn't be too bad for your LO- you'll probably have him sit on your lap while the nurse and doctor wave a few things in front of his face. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we go to dr. ellis for J's hemangioma.  i like him fine.  expect to wait a while - he is always running late.  the eval is quick but if they have to dilate you'll have to hang out for 30 minutes for it to take effect and then re-eval.  let me know if you have any more questions.
  • Thanks, ladies. I feel better knowing what I'm walking into! I'll probably post a follow up after Thursday's appointment.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"