Illinois Babies

Cloth diapers-order online? or buy in store?

Where did you purchase your cloth diapers? I'd like some organic cloth diapers for my newborn in Aug., and then I'll see from there if I'll continue.

Re: Cloth diapers-order online? or buy in store?

• Hi...we shopped for our cloth diapers initially at Comfy Bummy in Naperville (they also have a website www.comfybummy.com)  If you go to the store, they are really friendly & helpful, which is great if you don't know what you're doing, as we didn't at first.  Since then, we've also shopped at www.nickisdiapers.com since they have free shipping on a lot of what you might need.  We use unbleached prefolds with thirsties duo-wrap covers.
  • Thanks! One question I have is what if the newborn size doesn't fit our newborn!? I saw a "starter kit" with different sizes, but I don't know whether to commit...
  • Loading the player...
  • I think the nice thing about going to a store is you have their support and sometimes they offer classes.  We are going to buy our diapers from a store called Giggle, the employees were so knowledgeable and eager to help.  They only have one type of diaper system and it's a pre-fold.  Another good store is Be Buy Baby, they have a larger selection, but they charge for the class (Giggle's is free).  HTH
  • I took a class at Bellybum, but I didn't shop there, I did all of my shopping online, I like Jillian's Drawers.com
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • imagesschwege:
    I think the nice thing about going to a store is you have their support and sometimes they offer classes.  We are going to buy our diapers from a store called Giggle, the employees were so knowledgeable and eager to help.  They only have one type of diaper system and it's a pre-fold.  Another good store is Be Buy Baby, they have a larger selection, but they charge for the class (Giggle's is free).  HTH

Thank you for posting this! I am super excited to see a free CD class. 

BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we just moved to the northern burbs, but in my previous neighborhood, there were so many new baby stores-lincoln square, north center, roscoe village...

it's so nice to have that customer service to go along with purchasing things especially now when i don't know what's necessary all of the time!

• I know a chick who has a store on etsy that does awesome work.  I have a bunch of diapers from her and they hold up amazing.  They're beautiful too.  She has some gorgeous fabric to choose from too.  I think it's graham bear wear or something like that.  
  • found her! thanks! is the wool cloth diaper better? what does each diaper come out to roughly? how do these compare in price to what else is out there? how many did you purchase at a time?
  • I bought mostly pockets.  They are addicting because of the variety.  I also like them because you can put as many inserts as you need in them for absorbency.  I got a lot of them on eBay.  You can get many at a time from China for super cheap.  Then I got the quality ones a few at a time from people like the ones the one I mentioned above.  
  • We started after DS was born, and so I did a trial with a local store.  For anyone that is in the Southwest suburbs, check out Cutie Poops and Bottoms in Orland Park.  We attended a free class there on cloth diapering, and then did a 3 week trial of the various diapers to find out which ones we liked best.  The trial is $150 and we got our money back in the form of store credit once the trial was up and we returned the diapers.  I was really glad we did it this way because we found there were definitely ones we did not like, and I'm glad we did not waste $$ buying these. 

Our favorite cloth diapers are the Fuzzibunz.  DS is a heavy wetter at night and he never leaks in these. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I bought all of my diapers online to save money on Tax and also most of them were on sale. I bought a variety and plan to sell whatever doesn't work for us.
    Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010
  • I have gotten diapers at both Be By Baby in Roscoe Village/ Lakeview and at Bellybum in Lincoln Square.

I have also gotten diapers from nickisdiapers.com and Jilliansdrawers.com.

When we were first starting out we did the cloth diaper trial package from Jillian's Drawers, which I HIGHLY recommend.  It was about $150 up front, but you get to keep and use the diapers for 3 weeks.  This was nice because you could really get a feel for which diapers you liked or didn't like.  At the end of the three weeks, you can send back the diapers you don't want to keep and they give you your money back (NOT store credit!)

We use mostly prefolds and thirsties covers for DD and they work great.  We use the BumGenius one size pocket diapers at bedtime and I love them too.  If I could afford it, I would get all BumGenius!!

Good luck!  Cloth diapers are addicting :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I love CP&B! I am in there all the time and know Sherri (the owner) well. She is great about helping you figure out what you need. Her store also offers classes like Bradley Birth classes and Baby wearing. I would definitely check them out if you are in the area. They have a website too: cutiepoopsandbottoms.com
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"