North Carolina Babies

Update on my Dad (not good & long)

Mom and Dad met with the hemotologist at Baptist after being asked to come in immediately. The diagnosis is Acute Myeloid Leukemia. He will start an extremely aggressive chemo plan on Monday - the doc wanted him to start today but he wanted a day to come visit with us and think about what they had just been told. He will be in the hospital for at least three weeks 24 hours a day. The first seven will be for non-stop chemo then one week of no treatment but lots of testing. The third week will be possibly another 7 days of chemo or just monitoring depending on how well the first round works.

This is going to be a long road with a lot of unknowns - especially in the beginning. There are various subtypes of AML that will determine the future treatment plans. They will have more information on Monday but the first step is hardcore chemo.

It's scary but all we can do is take one day at a time and hope the treatments work and that he finds himself in that 40% of patients that beat this. Going through the chemo will make him sick where right now he feels completely fine but without it he would only have a few months at most before the cancer would cause organ failure. It's a very aggressive cancer which is why they want to start treatment so quickly.

Mom and Dad are doing as well as can be expected given the news and without having a lot of answers to their questions yet. We all have a new label and not one we ever wanted - for dad, "I have cancer"; for mom, "My husband has cancer"; for me, "My dad has cancer"; for John, "My grandfather has cancer".

If anyone has any information they can share it is greatly appreciated! Of course Google has plenty of information but nothing beats sharing a real life personal story. There really are a number of outcomes to this at various levels of this process so I just ask for continued prayers for more wonderful doctors and a positive outlook in a horrible circumstance.

Thanks again ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Update on my Dad (not good & long)

• I am so sorry.  I missed your previous post.  I am thinking of you.  Lots of big hugs.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so, so sorry, S. Sad I have been thinking about you today, and was praying for better news. Your dad, and your whole family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm really close with my dad, and this hits home for me. Sending you big hugs...

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Oh no SB.  I'm so sorry to hear that news. I've been thinking of you guys all day. You know I'm in WS so close to Baptist -- if you need anything -- ANYTHING, please please let me know. You can drop John off here, you can come here to get respite from the hospital - whatever you need.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• I'm so sorry! I was praying for better news for your dad. I'll be keeping everyone in my prayers, please keep us updated.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • at my last job. i was the nurse giving the chemo. we had lots of patients with AML. and yes, some patients amaze me with their strength and win the fight. some amaze me with their strength and go down fighting. like you said, many of those type patients would be there for weeks. if not getting chemo, then recovering from the after effects of chemo. then they'd be back again and again for subsequent rounds. likely he will get some type of central access device such as a port-a-cath that they will use to administer the chemo. these devices are wonderful and necessary. they will save him from multiple peripheral IV lines and blood draws. (they can draw blood right off the cath/central line). 
        a few things i would tell you are...be prepared for his appearance to change. whether it's him losing his hair or losing weight...this can happen quickly and dramatically. don't let that scare you. some people even gain weight from excess fluid for a short time. encourage him to eat while and when he can. he will likely get quite sick at some point. hopefully he will be vocal about his symptoms with his doctors & nurses. they're on his side! when he gets that first kick in the butt from the chemo....he may feel so crappy. as hard as it may be---remember to give him space. he may not feel like doing anything!
          sounds like you all are getting prepared for the road ahead. i hope your dad will come through it a healthy man. thinking of you & your family.

• I am so, so sorry. I will definitely be praying for you and your family.

As far as your labels, I have one, "My mom & my grandmother both had cancer (grandmother - stage 4 breast cancer with a terrible prognosis) and WON!!" I hope you all can tack that last part on to your labels in a few months. Lots of hugs & prayers for y'all.

• Oh sweetie, I am so sorry.  I said a prayer for your father tonight and was really hoping for better news as I am sure you were as well. I will continue praying that he will beat this.  
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I'm so sorry you guys are going through this.  I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.
  • I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Cancer sucks. If you ever want to talk please don't hesitate to email me, my husband had cancer, so I'm a good sounding board because I've been through it without having it.
  • Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry you all are going through this... sending lots of thoughts & prayers your way that the treatment does its job and isn't too hard on everyone.
  • Oh Jeez... I'm so very sorry to hear this.  Your family will most definitely be in my prayers.
  • Oh, S, I am incredibly sorry.  I hope he amazes the doctors and nurses with his strength and recovery.  I'll be thinking of you and your whole family.  How scary, sweetie. :(
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Im so sorry to hear about your dad!! Your Dad and the rest of your family will be in my thoughts and prayers as you all go through this. And like backthepack said I hope you add WON to the end of the labels!!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm so sorry to hear that. You'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Oh SB I just caught up, Im so very sorry. I know there is nothing we can say to make it any better, but your dad is in good hands at WFUBMC. They are some of the best in the world.

I have a great uncle who is fighting a form of Luekemia and he is also in and out for aggressive chemo. Have they asked aobut donors? I know that my gpa tested as a match...so maybe there is something that can help in the way of a donor.

Please keep us updated, many hugs and prayers your way!

• Oh my goodness, I am so sorry!  You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry to hear that!  My thoughts and prayers go out to your dad, you and your family.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Your family is in my prayers. My Dad has been in Lymphoma remission for 2 years so I have walked in your shoes and know how you're feeling. CANCER SUCKS!

• I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. Sad  Many thoughts and prayers for you and your family!
    Catching up on sports news...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OMG S, I just got back on here.  I'm so sorry to hear the news.  Lots of hugs and prayers to you guys. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• I'm so sorry. I've had lots of patients who get treated at Baptist and they have nothing but great things to say about that hospital. I know he's in good hands. Leukemia is one of the most beatable cancers with chemo. It's a long road, but one that has had many victories. Hugs!
  • I'm so sorry that your family is going through this.  It's definitely tough on everyone involved.  I'll be keeping your family in my prayers. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so sorry your family is having to go through this. My FIL was diagnosed with AML (M5) in October of '07. He went through chemo treatments at least 4 times before getting a bone marrow transplant in April of '08 and is doing wonderfully. I'd try and stay away from researching, from what I saw treatment is very case dependent due first to the different types and then the cytogenetic results which further specify how effective treatments might be. If you want to know more about FIL's AML treatment, you can e-mail me at jcrumrin at gmail dot com and I'd be happy to share anything I can remember. Bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is there is MUCH reason to hope for the best!!! Medicine can do such amazing things. Hang in there and take things one day at a time.
  • I'm so sorry! I'll be praying for you guys and hope that the treatment does amazing things for your dad!
  • I am so sorry to hear the discouraging news and will certainly keep your family in my thoughts. (big hug)
  • I am so so sorry S. Many many continued thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"