Pregnant after 35

strange foot issues

My wife (aka mom2be) says that when she walks around the house, without shoes, that it feels like she has nothing on the bottom of her feet and its like walking on her bones.   Not sure how else to explaine it.  She has only gained 15 lbs to date.   Anyone else having this?

Re: strange foot issues

• I haven't experienced this during pregnancy, but I always have a pair of slippers or flip-flops on my feet in my house. I've gotten so used to having something on my feet that not having something makes it feel like you describe.
    I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • I have had foot problems as well.  My chiro diagnosed me with plantars facitous.  Not sure if that is spelled correctly.  I was told that the ligaments in your feet loosen up during pregnacy, make sure not to go barefoot.  Wear good running shoes as they have the best cushioning. 

Elevate the feet, icy foot baths, roll a water bottle through arch of the foot.

Hope that helps.

Jill 

• Loading the player...
  • I cannot walk barefoot around the house at all anymore.  It doesn't feel like I am walking on bone with no cushion, but it does feel very unnatural.  I wear a pair of slippers all the time at home.  I was formerly a barefooted babe, but I just can't do barefoot and pregnant!
    Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I also have plantar faciitis, and it is *terrible*!! I have a few other foot/leg/body issues and I think they're all related (tendons/muscles that attach to the pelvic bones, *not* the same as round ligaments).

Anyway, re: the PF, here is what my physical therapist has helped me to figure out:

1) physical therapy ("women's health physical therapy" - it's a specialty) is beneficial :)

2) ice, stretching, and cushioned shoes with a very supportive arch are all musts.  Specifically, stretch the calf muscles (lean against a wall both with the leg straight, and then with the knee slightly bent; or stand on a slanted board; or hang off a stair), and definitely stretch before getting out of bed in the morning.  Ice: use it at night and ideally during the day, also, for 10-15 minutes at a time, not longer.  shoes: I mostly only wear birkenstocks with a soft footbed now; I can make them loose enough for my swollen feet and they support everything better than anything else I've tried.  Danskos can work, but they're less stable to walk/stand on, and falling at this point would be BAD.

3) Don't do anything for too long at a time; in other words, don't sit, stand, walk, lie down, etc. for  hours at a stretch; mix it up if at all possible.

4) As awful as they are, Jobst stockings ("ultra sheer maternity", 8-15 compression) have been helpful, and so has my "prenatal cradle" which is the best support belt that I've tried.  Not cheap, either of them, but definitely help with comfort.  The Jobst are especially good after DH rubs the fluid build-up out of my feet before bed, then I sleep with them as elevated as possible; then I put on the Jobst *while still in bed*.  Got all that? :-)

GOOD LUCK!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"