Houston Babies

Abdominals split at 28 weeks

I can see the split anytime I am trying to get up from a sitting position. Anyone else have this issue? Did you just do the exercises afterwards or did you have surgery to repair it?

I still have a way to go so it is only going to get worse. Sad

DSC02496
5/17/09 Silverlake Sprint Triathlon 1:28:32
10/3/09 Susan G. Komen 5K 28:58
1/17/10 Chevron Half Marathon 2:09:08
2/27/10 ConocoPhilips Rodeo Run 10K 1:10:49

Re: Abdominals split at 28 weeks

• Mine split very early on and were worst up high (above my belly button).  Then I had a c-section so they opened below my belly button and now my once beautiful abs are shot.  SIGH.  They are slowly getting better, I think the gap is getting smaller and I'm not very diligent (at all) about doing the exercises but I think there's hope for them closing on their own.  In fact, if I had been working out consistently I bet they would be ok by now. 
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • I started seeing a litle "shark fin" (they call it that b/c when you flex, you can see the ridge down the center), but i don't know if mine ever fully split.  Just make sure you do the roll from now on to get up.  You are not supposed to be using your abs at all at this time, or it will get worse.  I heard you can wear a wrap after you have the baby to try to keep them together while you are healing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Diastasis stinks. It's probably so pronounced because you are a runner and likely have very strong rectus muscles to begin with.  When the uterus pushes out, the tight muscles are pulling apart at their aponeurosis in the midline.  Talk to your doctor about it after you deliver.  Doing certain exercises too early can actually make the split worse.  Just think it could always be worse.....I'm having 2 babies stretch mine apart and it's awful to look at.  I keep telling myself that one benefit of having a c-section (if that's what I have) is that my doctor can suture them back together in the midline.  Most people do not require surgery to repair it....thankfully.  
    Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"