Adoption

Adoption book recommendations?

Hi everyone, I hope you won't mind me posting a question here. I've been lurking for awhile, and see that many of you recommend the "adoption for dummies" book for people just entering into the adoption "world". I also wanted to see if you would recommend the "idiot's guide to adoption" as well, or in lieu of.

I wanted to start reading up on the process, so that if this is an avenue DH and I decide to go down in the future (our plan is to exhaust our insurance-covered ART, then go to adoption), then I'll know exactly what's involved and can get the ball rolling at a super high speed Smile

Both my brother and sister were adopted as infants. I asked my parents about their experience, and my mom said they just went down to the county to fill out some paperwork, had someone come by to look at the house, and a few months later: *poof* instant healthy baby. Oh to be 1970 again Wink I'm thinking the process is a bit more complicated than that nowadays...

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

Re: Adoption book recommendations?

• Yes, it's a bit more complicated.

The Idiot's Guide to Adoption is also a good beginner book. Some people read one or the other, and tend to recommend the one they read.

GL

• hway24hway24 member
    I read the Idiot's guide to adoption, and I've found it very helpful. I would definately recommend it.
    After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I really liked reading Bruce Rappaport's The Open Adoption Book.
    While it looks like we may not actually have an open adoption, it really provided a good fundamental place to start conversations.  I find that people (namely family) are afraid of open adoption.  Reading this book prepared me to talk about why it is a good choice.  It also helped my husband understand the process better.  

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Thank you all so much for taking the time to help a lurker. I really appreciate it!

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"