Blended Families

Ok, laughing here at the leash responses

I own one, do not even know if I have used it four times between both kids.  It is the monkey backpack, I brought it to Disney but we never used it.  And at least one time we used it DS insisted on holding the leash part himself.

I find the comparison to a dog leash to be hysterical.  Besides the name they are nothing alike.  First, almost all of them are backpacks, it is not like I have strapped a collar around the kids necks!  I have a dog, we adopted her as an adult dog found on the streets.  She is a major puller on the leash and I will use the leash (properly per our trainer) to control her.  I have never once, and never would, used a leash to control a child in the sense of pulling on it.  The comment that their backs are delicate made me really wonder if anti-leash people think that is what is done with them?  OMG, even the thought makes me laugh b/c that is so insane.  And it is not a tripping hazard because I would never be that far from my child, how far do people think the leash is?  It is not long enough to touch the ground when being held.  I seriously would not consider this to be anymore of a tripping hazard than a toddler walking around in general.

And I agree with the person that said using a stroller to control a screaming child that wants to walk is way less "humane" than holding onto their backpack.  Hell, I have on occasion held onto DS' sweatshirt hood especially while waiting to cross the street.  Oh, and DD is a magician and can get out of our 5-pt harness on our stroller so if she wants out she will get out and stand up, she is 18mos and cannot be reasoned with.  And yes, we held DD almost all of Disney because she would not stay in the stroller.

The harness gives a security that you are not going to blink your eyes and find that the child walking perfectly next to you just bolted.  It is great to say that you should not use one and teach your kids better but it really only takes one second for something to happen especially near cars or in super crowded places, so why judge so badly when a child is known for being impulsive?

I can promise you that the few times I have put it on my kids they were not in danger of having their backs injured, anyone tripping or them being treated like our dog.

FWIW, this is the one I have. 

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Ok, laughing here at the leash responses

• imageLittlejen22:

I find the comparison to a dog leash to be hysterical.  Besides the name they are nothing alike. 

This. 100% agreed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used to think that the leashes were absolutely ridiculous, but I can see how they would give you peace of mind at a place like Disney. Would I use one in the grocery store? Probably not. 

Anyway, my anecdote is that I took the kids with me to Target yesterday to shop for a baby shower gift. SS saw the monkey backpack, asked what it was, and once he heard, he goes, "I want one!" Lol. I told him that they didn't make them for 6yo and he thought that was silly. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageshortyred919:

I used to think that the leashes were absolutely ridiculous, but I can see how they would give you peace of mind at a place like Disney. Would I use one in the grocery store? Probably not. 

Anyway, my anecdote is that I took the kids with me to Target yesterday to shop for a baby shower gift. SS saw the monkey backpack, asked what it was, and once he heard, he goes, "I want one!" Lol. I told him that they didn't make them for 6yo and he thought that was silly. 

You probably need one more for a 6yo than for most little ones, lol.

• imageLittlejen22:

I own one, do not even know if I have used it four times between both kids.  It is the monkey backpack, I brought it to Disney but we never used it.  And at least one time we used it DS insisted on holding the leash part himself.

I find the comparison to a dog leash to be hysterical.  Besides the name they are nothing alike.  First, almost all of them are backpacks, it is not like I have strapped a collar around the kids necks!  I have a dog, we adopted her as an adult dog found on the streets.  She is a major puller on the leash and I will use the leash (properly per our trainer) to control her.  I have never once, and never would, used a leash to control a child in the sense of pulling on it.  The comment that their backs are delicate made me really wonder if anti-leash people think that is what is done with them?  OMG, even the thought makes me laugh b/c that is so insane.  And it is not a tripping hazard because I would never be that far from my child, how far do people think the leash is?  It is not long enough to touch the ground when being held.  I seriously would not consider this to be anymore of a tripping hazard than a toddler walking around in general.

And I agree with the person that said using a stroller to control a screaming child that wants to walk is way less "humane" than holding onto their backpack.  Hell, I have on occasion held onto DS' sweatshirt hood especially while waiting to cross the street.  Oh, and DD is a magician and can get out of our 5-pt harness on our stroller so if she wants out she will get out and stand up, she is 18mos and cannot be reasoned with.  And yes, we held DD almost all of Disney because she would not stay in the stroller.

The harness gives a security that you are not going to blink your eyes and find that the child walking perfectly next to you just bolted.  It is great to say that you should not use one and teach your kids better but it really only takes one second for something to happen especially near cars or in super crowded places, so why judge so badly when a child is known for being impulsive?

I can promise you that the few times I have put it on my kids they were not in danger of having their backs injured, anyone tripping or them being treated like our dog.

FWIW, this is the one I have. 

well said.  We have one for Allison, (the bear one), I think we also used it less than 5 times.  I know I used it when she was 2/3 and I took all 3 to the zoo by myself. 

• I thought all the exact same things!  The leash isn't like.... 20 feet long, or even 10 feet long.  Some freak would have to have ridiculously high steps to be able to trip over that thing!

I had to LOL at the poster that was like "We don't even use a leash on our pets."  Lol.  Really?  I totally want to do Wife Swap with that mom and get her to train my small and hyper children to walk perfectly next to me during a very long and exhausting trip to Disney Land.  Or a 10 minute trip to the grocery store!  Lol

• imagetsevere:

I thought all the exact same things!  The leash isn't like.... 20 feet long, or even 10 feet long.  Some freak would have to have ridiculously high steps to be able to trip over that thing!

I had to LOL at the poster that was like "We don't even use a leash on our pets."  Lol.  Really?  I totally want to do Wife Swap with that mom and get her to train my small and hyper children to walk perfectly next to me during a very long and exhausting trip to Disney Land.  Or a 10 minute trip to the grocery store!  Lol

Ok, now I have to go back and see who the ass is that will not put a leash on their dog!  They are not winning with me on that one, either they do not walk their dog which I 100% disagree with or they walk them and do not use a leash which is not responsible at all.  When we adopted our dog we even had to sign a contract stating we would use a leash...and never tie our dog up.  The only possible situation would be if you live on a farm and even then your dog should be at the vet at least yearly so you certainly need a leash for that.

And yeah, work with your children in certain situations and they will never do wrong I guess, hope that works for you but it is just not always realistic.  Our neighbor was in middle school and hit by a car when he crossed the street for his bus stop, realized he forgot something and turned around right in front of a car.  I can promise you that those parents taught him how to cross a street, he is even a Boy Scout.

• I just went a re-read it, and NEVERMIND about Wife Swapping!  She totally traumatized her child to get them afraid to run away, and apparently it worked.  Lol.

Yeah.  I'll just stick with leashing my kids.  Lol.  (I don't have one, but kind of feel like I need to pick one up after this debate!!!)

• htomeohtomeo member
    People can judge me all they want, but I will be damned if I am going to lose my child in a crowded pow wow. We go to too many, with tons of people, to not have one. Especially since Willis is now at the running away stage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Once you have a child who is a runner, you will consider a leash. :)

We have the same one. DD thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. She is outrageously independent and LOVES to be able to walk with us.

• imagetsevere:

I just went a re-read it, and NEVERMIND about Wife Swapping!  She totally traumatized her child to get them afraid to run away, and apparently it worked.  Lol.

Yeah.  I'll just stick with leashing my kids.  Lol.  (I don't have one, but kind of feel like I need to pick one up after this debate!!!)

Yeah, I did not touch that because I quess if it worked?  I am just wondering if she is saying that as her story or a recommendation to others b/c I ca.  And the child could have realized that their Mom just lied to them (scared the crap out of a 1yo for no reason and actually learns that running away is no big deal b/c Mommy will always be behind you, that could have totally backfired.  Whatever, not going to change her mind.

• Some of the responses were pretty ridiculous. I can't believe someone actually posted that they write their phone # on their childs are so that when/if they do get lost someone can call them. Umm...have you ever heard of kidnapping? It's a real thing and guess what? Not all children are returned. How about a better solution like not loosing your child in the first place? The backpack keeps the child close by so I'm not sure what kind of a tripping hazard this creates. I would obviously frown on anyone using it at Target or the grocery store, but the zoo, theme park or any other special all day outing in a crowded place I think it is 100% acceptable to use it.
  • FloF9FloF9 member
    I bought harnesses for my twins.  I used them often when I was pregnant because they knew mommy was a big cow and couldn't catch them!
  • Debating leashes for tolddlers is crazy.  I would never do it.  It's just my opinion though obvioulsy.  It's a parenting choice. 
  • imageFloF9:
    I bought harnesses for my twins.  I used them often when I was pregnant because they knew mommy was a big cow and couldn't catch them!

OMG, Mason thinks this exact same way!  A couple weeks ago he was having a particularly horrible day.  I asked him why he wouldn't mind ANYTHING I said, and he said "Because...  I am SUPER FAST and you can't catch me!!!!"

LOL.  Just wait until I'm not pg anymore, kid.  Then you'll think super fast! 

• DD stays just out of my reach and knows she is faster then me with the 7 month preggo belly and cast on my foot. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"