D.C. Area Babies
Options

Cord Blood Donation

I'm just wondering if anyone has donated cord blood. I'm not interested in storing it for ourselves, but would like to have it go to good use. I looked up locations on the website and sure enough Inova Fairfax (where I will deliver) does work with the national program for donations. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this adn what your experience with it was both good and bad. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cord Blood Donation

• Options
    I wanted to donate but my OB charges for it so we didn't do it. If it's free, you should defniitely do it!
  • Options
    I donated both times with DS and DD at INOVA Fairfax.  It's not a big deal.  They'll come in and ask you before you deliver if you want to donate and if you agree you sign a form then after you deliver they'll come back and collect it.  The next day you'll have someone come in and tell you if they were able to get enough and then they'll ask you and your DH a bunch of questions. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we did cord blood donation and got the paperwork through my doctor's office. Since we were donating, the hospital and doctor waived all charges.We had to have all the paperwork into the national marrow donation program by 34 weeks. Overall, we felt good about donating and we got a very nice thank you letter from them. All the nurses commented that they wished everyone took the time to donate because otherwise it just gets thrown away.
  • Options
    Good to know, thanks ladies! I'll ask my OB at our next appt just to be sure I don't need to do anything in advance.
  • Options
    it was going to cost me 250 or so to do it, so as much as I wanted to...I didnt:(
  • Options
    Fairfax is really easy.  Just let the nurse know that you want to donate when you check in.  Everyone was really friendly about it.  There's just a bunch of paperwork to sign and they will let you know the next day if they were able to use the cord blood.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We tried, there wasn't enough blood in the cord to donate.  If I remember correctly, someone came by my room (Inova Fairfax) while I was in labor and asked, we filled out the paperwork and then they came the next day to tell us whether it was successful or not. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"