North Carolina Babies
Options

Friend looking to CD, what brands do you love and why?

Hey ladies,

A friend of mine is looking to CD with her new little one and I know you are all a wealth of information on the subject.  What are your favorites and least favorites?

Thanks!!

Re: Friend looking to CD, what brands do you love and why?

• Options
    we didnt start CDing till DS was 18 months but we love BumGenius AIO which are sized and have used a few BG 3.0. we also have prefolds and covers that we use sometimes too and i've heard a lot of people using those with lil ones
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

i started lurking on the EFF board and they helped a TON! 

we didn't start until ds was 6 months old, but we use prefolds during the day and pockets at night with a fleece cover on top.

we use unbleached indian prefolds from cottonbabies.com, and really like them.  they were cheap and seem like good quality to me.  green mountain diapers are also HUGELY popular.  i can't personally tell you what the difference between them is, but these two are the most popular prefolds i've seen on EFF.   but the price difference is pretty big between the two.

we use thirsties covers, which were highly recommended on EFF.  and then i sewed some fleece covers out of scrap fabric and an old blanket.  wool would be better for overnights but i haven't been able to get my hands on any at the thrift shops yet.  

my pocket diapers are sweet baby doll, and i got them off ebay for CHEAP, but they are not the greatest quality.  right now i'm using microfiber inserts with additional inserts of microfiber towels folded up.  since the diapers are super padded at night the leg holes don't fit so well so we put a fleece cover over it all and haven't had any leaks that way.

oh and i cut up some fleece strips to use as 'liners' for the diapers.  it helps keep ds feeling dry in a wet diaper and also helps keep poop from sticking to the prefold.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I really love the bg3.0.  it grows with your baby, has a 1 year warranty, and they dry really quickly.  we put all the covers and inserts on to a drying rack overnight and they are dry in the morn.  you can increase/decrease absorbency with ease.  i was totally against pocket diapers bc of stuffing taking more time, but it's really not that big of deal.

my dislikes about them are that the laundry tabs keep failing on me before 1 year of use... but since they are under warranty, i get to send them back and get a new one.

i can't say how they are with newborns bc i didn't start using them til nora was older...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For the newborn stage, I really liked Kissaluv newborn fitted CDs with prorap covers.  We used them for both girls.  I tried prefolds and hated them!  I now use BG3.0s (they're discontinuing them though) with hemp inserts for Natalie and the microfiber (what they came with) for Claire.  I also use some Nana's Bottom AIO but I prefer the BG3.0s. 

I have been using CDs now for over 2 years and have no complaints.  I find it just as easy as using disposable diapers and we've had far fewer blowouts using them compared to disposables.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I used Kissaluv Size 0's for the newborn stage, for about 2 months. I don't have the #s right now, but I figured out for one kid, buying them all new was about the same price as what disposables would be, so if you can get some as a gift or used, that'll help the cost since they don't fit too long. Or if she intends to use them for a future child. I loved the KL0's, but IMO they're not the most cost effective CD out there.  I used Thirsties and Prowrap covers & rec those! Prefolds are a good way to go too, to at least have a few in the event of a very, um, high volume day so you don't have to do laundry more often.

We started using BumGenius 3.0 around 2 months and I anticipate using them until potty training. They are discontinuing the line and coming out w/ something new though. I bought some Nana's Bottoms from FutureJHL & really love them. 

I'd recommend to your friend to use craigslist to find some used... most of the big name brands are good and getting them used is a great way to save a little $ w/out really sacrificing on quality (though velcro does get yucky after awhile, I'd rec snaps on used unless they're VERY lightly used.) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"