Health & Exercise

underweight TTC, suggestions?

I have been pretty worried about my BMI, as it is lower than it should be. I am 5'5 and I weigh 100-102 ibs. I am sure it is genetic that I have high metabolism, both of my parents are pretty skinny. I eat like normal person, but seem to stay in the same weight range. I was wondering if muscle build would actually do any good for me, or if I need it.?

I tried eating more, and consuming more calories per day ( more than 3000) but honestly - it did very little. I eat pasta, white bread, meat and even started drinking protein drinks. I am trying to stay away from fried food as it usually just makes me sick. I don't exercise right now, I am afraid to burn it off. Any suggestions? Also I was wondering if any of you were/ are in the same boat as me.?

Thank you!?

Re: underweight TTC, suggestions?

• iteachkiteachk member
    I'm 5'4, 110 lbs.  I eat normally (maybe more) and don't work out.  I'm just naturally thin; genetics as well.  I had no problem getting pg.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do you have periods? If so, I wouldn't worry about TTC. But everyone needs to exercise. It's not just about staying thin, it's for your cardiovascular and bone health. I would lift weights a few times a week and do some cardio. I wouldn't worry about just burning it off--cardio always makes me hungrier! Also, I would stay away from the white bread and other processed foods. If you did gain weight, you'd end up gaining fat instead of muscle.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I am pretty regular now, to my surprise. I was off BCP for almost 4 years and had a year to adjust. Now my cycles are about 29-30 days, or if I am under heavy stress it comes few days late.  

Thank you for advice ladies! 

• SFAug07SFAug07 member
    I am in the same boat, I am 5'6" and under 100 pounds. I had no problems conceiving and had a perfectly easy labor and delivery (and I am 39). Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, technically being underweight is a problem for TTC only if your body fat is too low and it's impacting your ovulation. So, really, adding muscle wouldn't change that (although lifting is still very good for you in general!) If your periods are regular, you're probably fine. Also, you can try temping for a while to see if you're ovulating. If you aren't, I would focus on adding some healthy fats to your diet, like nuts, olive oil, or avocado.

I wouldn't stress too much, though. Plenty of thin women get PG.

• my friends' wife was 92 pounds when she conceived...no probs (son and daughter). Another friend was about the same weight but taller and she had 3 m/c's before her daughter.

as long as your cycles are somewhat regular you should be okay.

add some avocado, peanut butter, nuts and seeds, hemp and flax seed granola, and omega butter (I use smart start) to add good fats. I also use vitamin e stick as lipbalm (you do swallow it so better to swallow that than chapstick)

( I had low cholesterol and borderline low blood pressure)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"