Potty Training

What IS the 3 day method?

I guess there's just something about it I just don't get.  How is it any different from waking up one morning and switching to underwear cold turkey?  What's the 3 day part all about?  Is there more to the method than that? 

I'm just wondering what I'm missing since everyone seems to be such a fan.  We didn't use it and DS is pee trained now, and all I did was switch him to underwear from diapers one day.  And I didn't shut myself in the house for 3 days either.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What IS the 3 day method?

• Here is my cliff notes version Smile

It's a 40 page ebook (https://www.3daypottytraining.com/), but it covers everything from signs of readiness, how to prepare, stuff to have on hand, details of how to start, what to say / not to say, FAQ, special situations... 

But if you boil it down to the very very basic the principles would be:
    - throw away the diapers, put your kid in underwear from now on
    - don't ask if they need to go potty, just constantly remind them to tell you if they need to go
    - stick to them like glue and when they start to have an accident RUSH them to the potty with the goal of catching the accident on the potty, this is key because one of the main parts of the 3day method is for them to learn what it feels like when they have to go to the bathroom and associate that with going to the potty and/or telling you
    - include naps / nighttime from the beginning
    - stay possitive, when they have accident never tell them that's bad just say things like "pee and poop go in the potty"

#3 is the reason the author reccomends not going anywhere for 3 days because part of the method is that they realize when they have to go on their own (i.e. not with prompting).  And the 3day method teaches this by making sure they finish on the potty and in order for that to happen you need to catch the accident in the beginning and rush them to the potty.

We're going to do it next month so all this is just my interpretation from reading through the ebook, but hopefully that helps! Smile

• That does help, thanks.  So much of it is the same thing you read/hear everywhere else.  I just wondered where the 'magic' was in this method, but it sounds like common sense for the most part.  I guess #3 is really the only part of it we didn't do (and PT at night) and I don't feel like we missed out on anything there.  Good to know!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I do think that most of it is common sense, really. That's why I was a little boggled that she's charging people for the information. It seems silly to me.

We did take DS to the grocery store with us on Day 3. But we asked if he needed to potty before going and while we were there, we asked and he ended up pottying at the grocery store like a little champ.

The idea behind having your child to tell you when they need to potty rather than asking if they need to go is that it gives them a sense of control over when they go potty which is supposed to play into their toddler independence.

I personally would remind C to let us know every 2 hours or so, but also mix it up with "do you need to go potty?" every now and again as well. He did just fine and wasn't mad at me for infringing on his independence. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"