Military Families

? for airforce mommas

hubby just enlisted this week and told me we have to give the recruiter our top 4 domestic and international bases.

from your experience, which base(s) is/are your favorite(s)? we're definitely hoping for a warm weather location, so somewhere like ND wouldn't make our list.

thanks!

imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: ? for airforce mommas

• I'm not an Air Force wife, so it may be different. . . do you know what your DH's MOS (job) is going to be?  Not all bases may have slots for your DH's MOS.  So, before you waste a spot on the list (or get excited about a possible duty station), you may want to find out what your potential options are.

You may want to cross post this on Military Nesties on the Nest--it moves a bit faster over there.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One thing to consider is his job class. Did he enlist with a defined career code (AFSC), or is he going in Open-General? If he has a career that is needed at every base like services, security forces, or communications, then he will be open to any base- but if he is going to be a F-16 maintainer then he will only go to F-16 bases. Just something to consider so you have a lot of options on your list of bases.

As for your direct question, I would say the warmest (and best bases IMHO) State-side would be (from west coast to east)- Travis, Vandenberg, Nellis, Lackland, Goodfellow, Sheppard, Keesler, Hurlburt Field, Tyndall, Eglin, MacDill,  Patrick.

Overseas- Hickam (Hawaii), Aviano (Italy), Guam (Anderson), Kadena (Okinawa, Japan), Osan (Korea), Yokota (Tokyo, Japan)

• Loading the player...
  • imageIndiechixor:

One thing to consider is his job class. Did he enlist with a defined career code (AFSC), or is he going in Open-General? If he has a career that is needed at every base like services, security forces, or communications, then he will be open to any base- but if he is going to be a F-16 maintainer then he will only go to F-16 bases. Just something to consider so you have a lot of options on your list of bases.

As for your direct question, I would say the warmest (and best bases IMHO) State-side would be (from west coast to east)- Travis, Vandenberg, Nellis, Lackland, Goodfellow, Sheppard, Keesler, Hurlburt Field, Tyndall, Eglin, MacDill,  Patrick.

Overseas- Hickam (Hawaii), Aviano (Italy), Guam (Anderson), Kadena (Okinawa, Japan), Osan (Korea), Yokota (Tokyo, Japan)

definately keeping in mind AFSC's & they call this "list" a dream sheet for a reason because there are no guarantees,

but for your direct question out of bases I've been stationed at and visited I would pick for: stateside (CONUS) Travis, Luke, (definately not Nellis it's hotter than heck and no grass or trees), Randolph, Lackland, Little Rock, Barksdale, Keesler, Tyndall, Eglin, MacDill, Patrick   and for overseas (OCONUS) Hickam, Anderson, Kadena, & Yokota for warmer climates.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The lists other ladies had were good. Just wanted to add that we're at Hurlburt Field in the FL panhandle (right along the coast) and LOVE it :) It's a special ops base, though, so truly depends on job and classification.  Eglin AFB is right next door so it's a fantastic choice too.

Eglin was like 6th on our list (my husband submitted 8 all stateside choices) so we more or less got what was on our preference sheet. 

• Oh, also, I wouldn't worry too much about the list sent to the recruiter if you change your mind on what you want because my husband had to make a new list to submit once he got to Tech School.  It is good to know in advance though.  Also, don't think that you WILL get something on your list...they can send you wherever...
  • Devil  Edwards is nice.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • I don't understand why the recruiter wants this. They make them do their dream sheet in BMT. THEN again in tech school. Some bases are off-limits due to the Airman's MOS and ratings. 

I don't have any recs on bases because my husband has never been stationed anywhere except Keesler for Tech school. It's definitely warm here.

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • From my limited experience in the last four years I would say that bases that have warm weather that I actually liked were:

CONUS: Eglin in FL- great base for families

OCONUS: Kadena in Okinawa Japan...it is a year long sub tropical climate.  It never goes before 60.  Though you do have a rain season which is a pain.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • this is the first base ive lived at, and well its hot. im from buffalo, ny and its cold there compared to here, scott afb, illinois. its headquarters base so its a little different then others, but its a great area. i LOVE it here. yesterday the temp was 92 but with the heat index it felt like 105.
  • imagedcunningham2:

hubby just enlisted this week and told me we have to give the recruiter our top 4 domestic and international bases.

from your experience, which base(s) is/are your favorite(s)? we're definitely hoping for a warm weather location, so somewhere like ND wouldn't make our list.

thanks!

Hello,

My DH and I are both AD AF and i have to agree first thing you need to see is if his AFSC is avail at all bases or restricted to certain ones. Like for example my job is everywhere but my hubby can only go to a hand full of bases. Now i can tell you i am currently stationes at Aviano AB, Italy and it is beautiful here winters arent all that bad not eally alot of snow and summers are a lil rainy but nice and prime location to travel.

• He definitely needs to figure out his AFSC to determine what bases are available to you. Take this process with a grain of salt. We choose bases in TN, FL, GA, SC, NC and are now stationed in New Jersey. Definitely not the warmer climate we were hoping for...at least not in the winter!  If base housing is something you're interested in, I would recommend checking to see which bases have completed privatized housing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"