Maryland Babies
Options

Sunscreen

What sunscreen do you use for your LO?

I keep reading different things and it's DRIVING ME CRAZY!

We used to use Waterbabies, but then I read Aveno was good so we got that. Then I heard the Neutrogena was better so we got that. Now I'm hearing the Neutrogena is not that good.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sunscreen

• Options
    We use the Aveeno spray.  We had bought all the ones you mentioned plus one or two more (all not in spray form) but we always go back to the spray ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I use teh Neutrogena baby one.  A few months ago someone posted a long thing on one 0-3 or 3-6 ranking various baby sunscreens and going on and on about technical differences in them, etc.  She was a pediatric dermatologist or dermatologist - and basically of the regular easy to find at Target/grocery store, Neutrogena was the best. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

hey check out this post I bookmarked a while back. I agree it is very confusing. This girl knows her stuff and spelled it all out. I have been using the Neutrogena and we like it a lot.

link

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Girls--I have that same post printed out. Ran out and got that Neutrogena. Now there is a new post today talking about THAT VERY ONE and saying it breaks kids out and blah blah. Now they are linking to a different site that rates them which says completely different things.
  • Options
    My DD has very sensitive skin and gets excema (sp?) easily.  We only use California Baby on her.  It's $$$ but I suck it up as the tube lasts awhile and it's better for her skin.
  • Options
    But if Ava's not breaking out - what differeence does it make?
  • Options

That would not make a difference. This one I'm talking about is rated a 4, 1 being the best.

It's not that big of deal. It just drives me crazy reading conflicting information. It's silly since I've been a parent for 14 years so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

• Options

If it makes you feel better, Ella's out 2x a day for at least a 30 minutes at a time M-F in full sun - she hasn't come home so much as pink. 

• Options
    We use Blue Lizard.  Our Ped recommended it, and I have a friend whose daughter has extremely sensitive skin, and has a lot of allergies.  Her pediatric dermatologist and allergist both recommended Blue Lizard.
  • Options
    imageschnef1226:
    My DD has very sensitive skin and gets excema (sp?) easily.  We only use California Baby on her.  It's $$$ but I suck it up as the tube lasts awhile and it's better for her skin.
    This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• Options
    I have both waterbabies and aveeno.

• Options

I got some of the Neutrogena stuff for free, so we are using up the last of that and then I use the chemical free stuff from Trader Joe's.

I am really into keeping certain chemicals off my kids' skin though, so my opinion on this is going to be more conservative than many. 

I don't use anything with pthalates, parabens or SLS in it on my kids and I am working through the last of my old conditioner w/ some of this crap in it for myself. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Oh and I wouldn't apply it everyday even if you don't go outside like that the poster in that link said she does- lots of kids are showing up w/ crazy Vitamin D deficiencies these days because they don't get any real exposure to the sun for their body to make it's own Vitamin D.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We use Badger, which I purchased at MOM's in Columbia/Jessup.  We are also waiting for the TruKid Face stick to come in the mail that I purchased.  Environmental Working Group evaluates different sunscreens and it was from their recommendation that I picked those two brands.  (I see now that they came out with their 2010 recommendations).  But I am like daisyterp and don't like exposing my son to harsh chemicals, etc.  Also, ITA w/ what she said regarding Vit D.  A few minutes each day is all that is needed for our LO's to up their Vit D exposure.  (My pediatrician said 5 minutes.  I have read anywhere up to 15 depending on what time of year it is, the time of day, how dark your skin is, etc.).  And if you are bf it is important for mom to have Vit D exposure as well whether through supplements or the sun or a combination.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"