Special Needs

Q's for Stroke / Heart Knowledgeable Mamas

Phew! Our echocardiogram is over, and there were no surprises. Still a tiny PFO (less than 2mm), nothing to really worry about according to the Cardiologist, as it's pretty common among the human race, and usually does not need intervention. It does seem that my guy has high blood pressure now, though. They measured it at his Neuro. appt on Tues and then again yesterday.

If your child has had a stroke, have they also had a PFO? If so, were they started on ASA? Just wondering what our possibilities are here...Every doc seems to have a different idea of what stroke protocol should be. Also, any experience with blood pressure?

Thanks 

Re: Q's for Stroke / Heart Knowledgeable Mamas

• I have no knowledge in the area of stroke. But, my son is a heart kiddo and had a serious heart defect at birth. They don't totally know why, but before we left the hospital he developed high blood pressure. They sort of contributed it to all the steroids he was on to get him successfully extubated. Anyway, long story short he is on Captopril for his high blood pressure. We have had to go up on the dosage as he has gotten bigger, but our pediatric cardiologist would like to see him just grow out of the dose and eventually no longer need it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS#2 suffered a stroke during the birthing process, so damage to his brain was actually negligable since the stroke was not postpartum and not so early in utero.  2.5 years later, has completely healed from it neurologically and physically.  He was also diagnosed as having a PFO, but it has completely disappeared by his 2 year exam.  After birth while he was in NICU, he had HBP, but we were never medicated for it and it was actually back down to normal by his 1st b-day- we just made sure to check it at each appointment. 

It literally took 2 years for DS to be "normal" according to all his Bailey test scores, doctors, therapists, etc.  Hopefully everyting will be ok with your LO!  Best of luck to you...

• Loading the player...
  • Audrey79,

Thank you so much for that fantastically positive story about your son. It's really hard to take all of the "could happens" at the moment, and reading a positive story like this is so so so helpful and appreciated! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"