South Jersey Babies
Options

2 Month Old & the "Babysitter'

OK, so, I ahve 2 babysitters for my daughter...my in-laws and my sister 1 day a week to give them their time for Dr's appts and so on. Anyway, my sister and us do not have a problem with getting my daughter to sleep during the day...she is 2 months old, she should still be sleeping a good amount of time...not all the time but, a few naps during the day. Anyway, for some reason, my in-laws have a problem with getting her to take her naps during the day which, in turn, causes sleeping problems at night. She is a good sleeping baby at night and sleeps close to 6 hours overnight if she has a regular schedule during the day. But, during the week, when WE need that kinda GOOD schedule, she doesnt! I am thinking that my M.I.L. excessive need to keep my daughter "toasty warm" is the reason she wont stay asleep for naps. She will fall asleep but, not stay asleep. We know it isnt Noise...and she LOVES my F.I.L....so the warmth is the only reason I can think she wont sleep well...

SO, the question is, how do I politely tell her that this doesnt work, eventhough I have told her in the past that the baby doesnt LIKE being hot and she seems to take offense when I try to tell her something?!? She THINKS because she has raised 5 boys she is "qualified" but, she doesnt realize that times are different and kids are different and, also, I KNOW my own child!!!! I am SO VERY THANKFUL for them watching our daughter but...

-TRYING to be Greatful!!

Re: 2 Month Old & the "Babysitter'

• Options

Do they provide clothes for her when she's there?  If not, then I would only pack light weight stuff.  At least that way, even if they put everything in the diaper bag on her at once, she still won't be overly hot.  I.E. Don't pack footed sleepers, heavy blankets, etc.

Also, I would just come out and say something.  If she balks, explain that while you appreciate her opinion it's not her call.  She should respect that.  And you saying something does not make you ungrateful IMO.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Options
    How about putting a fan near where she sleeps? There is research saying this helps prevent sids. Also keeping an infant too warm puts them at risk.  Tell her it's for the safety (not only comfort) of your baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Go buy a groegg (www.grobag.com) and give to her - tell her you were worried about SIDs.
  • Options

This is when it gets tough having family members as child care providers. If it was a daycare doing this you wouldn't have a problem telling them what to do, but because its family you are having a hard time saying what you want.

If you think she will actually change, I would casually mention "man, when DD was sleeping the other night she kept waking up and then I realized it was because she was so warm! Once I put her in a onsie it was smooth sailing the rest of the night! Can you do me a favor and try to let her sleep in light clothes? I want to see if it makes a difference with her sleep habbits."

If that doesn't work, and you think it is truely bothering your daughter, you may need to find a new child care provider.

This is just the tip of the ice berg... if she doesn't listen to you when you ask her something as simple as this, it isn't going to get easier-- next thing,  she's trying to feed your baby solids at 4 months old, because that's how she raised her sons and they're fine!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"