Infertility
Options

Can Anyone Help Me Choose the Best Quality Embryos? (Embryo Donation)

I am SO thrilled. I am getting donor embryos! This is wonderful for my family! I am extremely grateful to the person who was kind enough to make this donation for us. 

This is a huge decision, as I cannot afford that many cycles, waiting lists are very long, and after years and years of trying to conceive and having losses, I am not getting any younger. 

I have searched the internet, trying to understand all this and it is very confusing. I posted on a donor embryo board but the board is not very active and I have to decide immediately. 

I'm really very worried I'm making a bad decision about the embryos because I do not fully understand how embryos are rated.

I could only get a little bit of information from the clinic. (I'm not that assertive in clinical situations--I was too shy and they seemed very busy.) 

I really don't know which are the best. Is a 4AA good? The nurse said AA was the best but didn't give me much other information. 

I thought I should go for these 4: 

2 Embryos (Blasts: 4AA, 4AA) (female 24 yo) 

4 Embryos Blasts: 4AA, 4AA, 4BB, 4BB (female 39) 

4 Embryos (Blasts: 4AA, 4AA, 3AB, 4BA) (female 26) 

7 Blasts (4AA x4, 4BA x2, 4BB) (female 38) 

Am I totally wrong to lean toward the second group because there are more embryos and 2 4AAs? All these donors had successful pregnancies from their other embryos. 

What about the last group? Is it a big problem the mother is 38? 

I am simply looking for my highest chance of a successful, healthy pregnancy. 

HERE WERE SOME OTHER OPTIONS 

2 embryos (Blasts: 4AB, 4BB) 

2 embryos (Blasts: 4AB, 4BA) 

2 embryos (4BC, 4BC) 

7 embryos (1 Blast 4BA, 8cA x4, 8c AB, 7c AB) 

6 embryos 8c A x3, 7c A x3 

9c B, 6c B, 5c AB, 5c B x3 

1 Blast 5BB, 7cB, 6cB, 6cAB, 6cB 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Re: Can Anyone Help Me Choose the Best Quality Embryos? (Embryo Donation)

• Options

I am a little confused and maybe I am not the best to help out because I am not well versed in embryo donation, but are you doing a frozen transfer?

I have just seen girls on here paired up with a specific donor and then they cycle together. 

It's hard for us to figure out what is the best because a lot of clinics use different ways of grading their embryos.  Can your doctor help you with your decision?

good luck to you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrs.P7/15/06:

Can your doctor help you with your decision?

good luck to you! 

this...I honestly know nothing about this..at all...but I'm pretty shocked the clinic didn't offer you more information than that. I'd be very, very worried. 

I do know, however, that clinics vary in how they rate things so, you really need to talk to your doctor. Honestly though..this doesn't seem like a good "first impression" to me..they should be walking you through this, helping you...doing this with you. It is serious stuff. 

TTC #1 since June 2008 *SAIFW*

TI, IUIs, IVF = c/ps and BFNs

• Loading the player...
  • Options

What it sounds like is that there are some couples at the clinic you use that will be donating their embryos they had frozen from a previous successful IVF cycle??

I agree with previous posts that you need to have some more info from your clinic regarding these embryos.  You need to know what their rating system is...unfortunately no 2 clincs are the same when it comes to the rating system and there is no universal one in place.

Shooting from the hip and not knowing much I would stick with the younger donors....just from my experience.  The bigger question is what were the Dx for these donors and why did they have to do IVF to begin with?  If it was an egg quality issue, you need to know that.  Typically the older the mother the less quality the eggs will be...just a general statement because everyone is different.

Call the clinic tomorrow and make them tell you...this is not something that you should be shy about especially if this is your last shot at building a family.

Good luck!

• Options
    I agree with the others on the board ... the doc should help you or at the very least refer you to a nurse or someone to help you decide ... however for the age question, i do know that age is one factor that you should look at when picking a donor (not familiar with picking donor eggs ...) ... I know that even if she's 38, as long as she's fertile, then it's ok ... sorry if i'm not too much help ... 
  • Options
    imageCharBart:

What it sounds like is that there are some couples at the clinic you use that will be donating their embryos they had frozen from a previous successful IVF cycle??

I agree with previous posts that you need to have some more info from your clinic regarding these embryos.  You need to know what their rating system is...unfortunately no 2 clincs are the same when it comes to the rating system and there is no universal one in place.

Shooting from the hip and not knowing much I would stick with the younger donors....just from my experience.  The bigger question is what were the Dx for these donors and why did they have to do IVF to begin with?  If it was an egg quality issue, you need to know that.  Typically the older the mother the less quality the eggs will be...just a general statement because everyone is different.

Call the clinic tomorrow and make them tell you...this is not something that you should be shy about especially if this is your last shot at building a family.

Good luck!

I was going to say pretty much what CharBart said.  I would definitely go for a younger donor. Even if the quality of the embryos is good with the older donors, there is a higher risk for age related issues.

• Options

Do you get other information besides this (i.e. family health history, hair color, eye color, etc.)?

I would go with the blasts/embryos from the younger women.  Although the 38/39 year olds seem to have good egg quality because they made strong embryos - the likelihood of genetically abnormal embryos is probably higher.

I agree - your clinic should be able to give you more information to help guide you in your decision.

We used donor eggs and our main criteria were family health history and proven donor over things like looks, etc.

All other things being equal, blasts should thaw better than day 3 embryos.

Good luck!!!

• Options

I would pick this one:

4 Embryos (Blasts: 4AA, 4AA, 3AB, 4BA) (female 26) 

(In three IVF cycles I only ever mananged to make ONE 4AA blast.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"