Preemies
Options

infant car seat

My parents are offering to get a car seat for us considering my son might be coming home soon. We are looking into the Chicco KeyFit 30 because it can accommodates babies from 4lbs to 30lbs.  My son is at 4lbs and 12 oz, so this car seat would be good for him. Question is..is it?  Anyone used this car seat or hear about them? If not, what are you using.

Thanks

Re: infant car seat

• Options
    I used a Graco Snugride (that I had bought prior to LO being a premie).  But he was a little over 5 lbs at discharge so we were ok.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That is the car seat I have. I haven't used it yet, so I am also curious how it will work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the two that you hear most about on this board are the Graco Snugride and the Chicco KeyFit 30.  We had the Snugride and DS did fine in it and it was a good seat.  But I've heard lots of good things about he Chicco. 
  • Options

We have the Chicco Keyfit 30 and love it. DD was 4 lbs 15 ounces when she was born and was just a little over 5 when we took her home. She passed the carseat test and it worked great for us. Hopefully they'll have someone there to help you fit your DS in the seat before you take him home. They should let you know if you need blankets on the sides or if the newborn insert was enough...the insert was enough for us.

• Options
    We came home with a Graco travel system and quickly got rid of it.  We didn't like the infant seat.  We have a Britax convertible now, it goes down to 5 lbs.  We always wore her in a carrier or Moby so we didn't use the infant seat part and so it was just bulky and pointless.  We had to use a newborn insert at first since the seat was huge, but after a while she was fine.  If you think you'll carry LO around in the infant seat than go for it, I just wish someone would have told us that we had another option.  
  • Options
    Sarah was almost 9lbs at discharge, but we have the Keyfit 30 and we're still using it at 11mos.  LOVE it.  We're getting a Britax convertible soon but plan to keep using the Keyfit until she hits the height limit (she'll likely be 2yo before making it to 30lbs!).
  • Options
    I still use Chicco KeyFit 30 for my dd. She was 4lbs 10.5oz when she born and came home at 4lbs 8oz. She passed the carseat test in the hospital. We are still using the carseat at the moment, but will probably be upgrading soon. She's close to 18lbs and wow, she is really heavy carrying her around (from house to car!).

• Options
    I got a Graco as a gift way before I knew I would be having a preemie - which btw I am trying to sell- But because Little Man was so small I had to get the Chico. So far I have no problems with it and love the insert how he just fits in it comfortably with a little help from two rolled blankets of course. Another plus with the Chico you can buy separate bases for other cars.
  • Options
    We have the Chicco and I love it! We got the stroller/carseat combo because we thought our daughter would be coming home while still tiny (she didn't but thats another story). I am so happy with the purchase and would get it again if I had to.
  • Options
    My son was born at 4lbs 11oz, and came home at just shy of his birth weight. I had gotten a Graco (something or other) travel system as a shower gift and I had to return it because the seat was not suitable for a child under 5lbs. I got the Chicco keyfit, and I love it!! If your baby is under 5lbs, Chicco is the way to go. =)
    - - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    We have the Chicco-used it with both DS and DD and we love it.  It's really easy to use and tighten on the little ones.  DS was 6 lb when we brought him home from the hospital and DD was 7 lb and both fit well.  Chicco is a little bit pricier but it's rated really high for safety on consumer reports so I felt that it was worth the little bit of extra money.  We moved DS to an Evenflow triumph when he was a year and like that seat a lot as well.
  • Options
    The Chicco KeyFit 30 is the car seat we have and hands down it is a great seat. My son is a premiee born 7 1/2 wks early, when he was discharge from the NICU (4 wks after birth) he was weighting exactly 5 lbs and he fit perfectly in it, nice and comfortable and above all safe. It one of the easiest seat to install correctly which gives you peace of mind knowing that your LO is secure and safe in their seat because it not complicated to install. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    We had been given a barely used Babytrend and bought a Graco before the girls got here. DD1 was 4lbs 6oz at discharge, so we borrowed a Chicco Keyfit 30 for a few weeks until she got over 5lbs. We really liked it, and she transitioned into the Babytrend without issue. The seats were very similar in size/shape. We hated the Graco and after a few months went with a second Babytrend seat for DD2.
    TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We registered and got the Graco Snugride 35. We registered for it before we knoew we were having a preemie. He is currently 4lbs 13oz and wont be coming home for another 2-3 weeks by then he will be over the 5 lb mark so not too worried, The car seat test won't be done until rigt before discharge.

• Options

Thanks all!!  We got the chicco keyfit. 

• Options
    We got (and love) the Chicco Keyfit 30. The nurses in our NICU love this seat! One thing I hadn't thought about is that a seat that goes down to 4lbs is a good idea for a preemie, even if your LO weighs more than than when discharged. One night I was in the NICU and saw a mom bring in two carseats (not sure which kind, but for over 5lbs) and her daughters were too skinny for them, even though they were 5lbs+. The straps didn't tighten enough over their chests or something. She had to go out and buy two new seats in order for them to have their carseat challenges and go home the next day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"