Military Families
Options

My Graduation Attire, WDYT

I know I asked before about attire for SO's BMT (USAF) graduation.  This is what I was thinking, what do you think?

For the coin ceremony I was going to wear a black dressy tank with black/white pin stripe shorts and heels.  For the graduation the following day, I was going to wear a White House Black Market "romper" (clicky link to see what it looks like) with heels.  Do you think is appropriate to wear for both occassions? 

I always stress about what I'm going to dress in and since I don't know anyone IRL who has attended a military graduation, I need to double check on my clothing choices. 

TIA for your opinions.

Re: My Graduation Attire, WDYT

• Options
    I think both of those outfits will be really nice!!! The first outfit sounds dressy but not too dressy. And the second is really cute, and with heels will make it dressed up definitely! Both of those outfits are very appropriate. You will look great!!1 Have fun : )
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers pregnant image,image,image,image
  • Options
    I recommend something more conservative and comfortable for walking.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with Ms. Ojoe.  Something more conservative would definitely be better.  Both outfits are cute, I just wouldn't wear them to those types of functions.  That's just my opinion.  You also might not want heels as you may do a lot of walking through grass.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You definitely need something a bit more conservative for both events.  Why not pair the top you want to wear for the coin ceremony with a pair of black or white capris?  For the actual graduation why not this dress.  You can pair it with some comfortable but stylish sandals.
  • Options
    FWIW, I would never wear something like that around anyone in my chain of command. It's cute, but it's not appropriate if you want to give people the impression that you're mature and classy. I showed my husband the romper and he said women who encourage you to wear that are setting you up for failure and "Will be snickering behind your back." I know you want to look sexy, but you can look sexy AND classy without showing your shoulders, back, and thighs.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options

imageMrsOjoButtons:
    FWIW, I would never wear something like that around anyone in my chain of command. It's cute, but it's not appropriate if you want to give people the impression that you're mature and classy. I showed my husband the romper and he said women who encourage you to wear that are setting you up for failure and "Will be snickering behind your back." I know you want to look sexy, but you can look sexy AND classy without showing your shoulders, back, and thighs.

wow, that's pretty lame of your husband to say that. really i wonder what battalion you guys are from?? and don't you get that there are people everywhere that snicker and talk behind people's back? if she wants to wear that is HER opinion or choice. why come back saying something so rude about it? and I don't understand how pairing that outfit with some nice jewlelry and a cute pair of flats or something isn't classy? it's going to be very hot outside, and rompers are very in.

IMO The romper is very nice, but not with the heels. I would pair flats with it or a cute pair of sandles. I thought about it after I wrote that! Do you have any stand by outfits, just in case those two wouldn't work?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers pregnant image,image,image,image
  • Options

Thank you for the honest opinions.  I have a ton of outfits to choose from, and had planned on wearing a dress instead, but was told that might be too dressy.  I've never been to any sort of military function so I'm completely in the dark on what is appropriate and what is not.  I'm also not use to the weather in TX so I was unsure about how to dress since it is going to be hot and it is not that warm here in PA. 

Flats/Sandals are okay to wear to the ceremony though?  I might post later about different dress choices to get opinions on them.  I'd like to make a positive impression and NOT embarass SO.  haha.

• Options
    imagejessaug6:

really i wonder what battalion you guys are from?? and don't you get that there are people everywhere that snicker and talk behind people's back? if she wants to wear that is HER opinion or choice. why come back saying something so rude about it?

It's obvious you don't have any experience with the AF.  We don't have battalions, and frankly, it doesn't matter what squadron we're assigned to and it's none of your business.

Yes, there will always be haters, but obviously the OP is here to minimize that.  It's a BMT graduation, so there will be a lot of other people dressed inappropriately because they do not know what's expected of them, but we HAVE been there and can give the OP guidance. 

We have different ideas of what constitutes rude.  I'm sorry you're sensitive about it.  Like I said, the romper is super cute, just not appropriate for the graduation.  The rule of thumb is to dress according to the member's UOD (Uniform of the Day).  Her SO will be in blues with no service jacket, which is basically our business casual.  The romper is not business casual.  Sgt M's Wife had it spot on with the suggestion of capris.  That outfit sounds lovely and classy. 

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options
    imagekjh44:

Thank you for the honest opinions.  I have a ton of outfits to choose from, and had planned on wearing a dress instead, but was told that might be too dressy.  I've never been to any sort of military function so I'm completely in the dark on what is appropriate and what is not.  I'm also not use to the weather in TX so I was unsure about how to dress since it is going to be hot and it is not that warm here in PA. 

Flats/Sandals are okay to wear to the ceremony though?  I might post later about different dress choices to get opinions on them.  I'd like to make a positive impression and NOT embarass SO.  haha.

Yes, flats/sandals are your best option because you'll be doing a lot of walking.  Take that romper with you because it will be okay for town pass, but again, you'll be doing a lot of walking. 

My mom wore slacks and a sweater to my graduation, but it was winter.  My sisters wore khakis and nice tops. 

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options
    imageMrsOjoButtons:
    imagejessaug6:

really i wonder what battalion you guys are from?? and don't you get that there are people everywhere that snicker and talk behind people's back? if she wants to wear that is HER opinion or choice. why come back saying something so rude about it?

It's obvious you don't have any experience with the AF.  We don't have battalions, and frankly, it doesn't matter what squadron we're assigned to and it's none of your business.

Yes, there will always be haters, but obviously the OP is here to minimize that.  It's a BMT graduation, so there will be a lot of other people dressed inappropriately because they do not know what's expected of them, but we HAVE been there and can give the OP guidance. 

We have different ideas of what constitutes rude.  I'm sorry you're sensitive about it.  Like I said, the romper is super cute, just not appropriate for the graduation.  The rule of thumb is to dress according to the member's UOD (Uniform of the Day).  Her SO will be in blues with no service jacket, which is basically our business casual.  The romper is not business casual.  Sgt M's Wife had it spot on with the suggestion of capris.  That outfit sounds lovely and classy. 

That's lovely. And no my husband is Definitely not in the AF. It wasn't a question. And frankly I could care less. Because I don't have ANYTHING to do with the Air Force.

• Options
    imagejessaug6:
    Because I don't have ANYTHING to do with the Air Force.

You should have kept that in mind when you responded to a post about an AF function and tried to pick a fight with someone who's actually BTDT.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options
    A simple summer dress and sandals would be fine.  Something like this would be breezy and comfortable. Plus the bright color makes it feel summery(if that's a word, lol). Pair with some cut sandals and jewelry and you're set!
  • Options
    imagejessaug6:

imageMrsOjoButtons:

wow, that's pretty lame of your husband to say that. really i wonder what battalion you guys are from?? and don't you get that there are people everywhere that snicker and talk behind people's back? if she wants to wear that is HER opinion or choice. why come back saying something so rude about it? and I don't understand how pairing that outfit with some nice jewlelry and a cute pair of flats or something isn't classy? it's going to be very hot outside, and rompers are very in.

IMO The romper is very nice, but not with the heels. I would pair flats with it or a cute pair of sandles. I thought about it after I wrote that! Do you have any stand by outfits, just in case those two wouldn't work?

The OP came on here asking for opinions, Mrs. Ojo (and Mr. Ojo for that matter) are allowed their opinions.  I think it's pretty rude of you to attempt to call Mrs. Ojo out and assume that she was being anything other then helpful when she gave her opinion.

My husband is in the Army and the same standards should be applied.  If you want to make the impression that you're an adult you should dress and act mature and classy.  You can be classy yet sexy.

The romper is cute however I don't think it should be worn to a graduation, maybe a BBQ instead, it's just too laid back.

• Options
    imagejessaug6:
    imageMrsOjoButtons:
    imagejessaug6:

That's lovely. And no my husband is Definitely not in the AF. It wasn't a question. And frankly I couldn't care less. Because I don't have ANYTHING to do with the Air Force.

• Options
    imagejessaug6:
    imageMrsOjoButtons:
    imagejessaug6:

That's lovely. And no my husband is Definitely not in the AF. It wasn't a question. And frankly I could care less. Because I don't have ANYTHING to do with the Air Force.

It should be couldn't care less.

• Options

I am going to hit up the OP first. Both outfits are very nice options, but I wouldn't wear them for graduation. Maybe save that cute little romper n' pumps for when you guys go out for dinner after graduation.

For the ceremonies, dress subtly sexy. HE will notice (you could be wearing sweatpants and he'd notice you're sexy). Be comfortable and remember that its a mixed crowd. You'll have everything from Grandma - to stripper girlfriends in the bunch.

Again, I think both of your ideas are cute... but a little too sexy for these functions. You may end up sitting in bleachers or seats... or in the sun. Think comfortable and classy!

~~~ to the jackazz who wants nothing to do with the AF. Make sure if you or your H ever need a ride out of a combat zone you make it clear that no AF pilots are authorized to help. That you'd prefer the AF not use drones in his AO because you don't want anything to do with them. Oh, and no AF intel personnel to help them figure out any of that pesky HUMIT crap.~~~

• Options
    imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

~~~ to the jackazz who wants nothing to do with the AF. Make sure if you or your H ever need a ride out of a combat zone you make it clear that no AF pilots are authorized to help. That you'd prefer the AF not use drones in his AO because you don't want anything to do with them. Oh, and no AF intel personnel to help them figure out any of that pesky HUMIT crap.~~~

• Options

OK, AF Protocol officer here, weighing in:

First, your daughter is absolutely beautiful!  Congrats!

Second, I can tell you right now that there will be people at graduation whose outfits will make your jaw DROP. Yours won't be one of them, guaranteed.

That being said, I would not wear that to the graduation, but not because of it being revealing: I don't see how it's any different from wearing a tube top or spaghetti-strap tank and shorts.  Whereas there is nothing wrong with it inherently, I don't feel that wearing shorts or shorts-equivalent is the appropriate level of formality in this case. However, it will be hot and humid in San Antonio (I lived there for five LONG years), and comfort is key. I suggest something with short sleeves (or even a dressy sleeveless shirt) and something that hits not too far above the knee (four inches at most?). It's a very cute outfit, and I'm sure you'd look great (I mean, kudos to anyone who can wear something like that so soon after giving birth!), but being at a military ceremony calls for something a little bit less casual. Think morning bridal shower.  (For the coin ceremony, wear the tank and heels, but wear capris instead of shorts.)

Now, if you think about it logically, the graduates will be wearing the equivalent of a suit and tie (or slacks and tie -- not sure if they wear service coats).  Not saying you need to match that level of formality in that crazy humidity, but that should at least give you a barometer for comparison, which is why I recommended thinking about a morning bridal shower when planning your outfit. Save the BHWM outfit for dinner!  :)

• Options
    imagejessaug6:

What a ridiculous and stupidly petty thing to say.   As if the AF is the only branch where things like that happen. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And if you could care less, then you should go ahead and care less then, because saying "I could care less" implies that you care some, and there is a lower amount of caring that could be occurring. 

OP- I ditto PPs who suggested that was a cute outfit, but not necessarily for those occasions. I spent a couple years in San An, I would suggest a summery dress that is flowy. 

imageMilitary Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • Options
    imagejessaug6:

imageMrsOjoButtons:

Well, then you wouldn't like my husband's comment asking what club she was dancing at.  BTW, AF doesn't have battalions.  However, those of us in the Army do.  If one of the wives in my unit showed up in that outfit, they would get snickers.  My H made the comment that if I showed up to one of his events in that, he would "forget" to tell me about any other events.  Not appropriate.

• Options

First, thank you to those who gave their honest opinions.  I was told (by others) that I had choosen things "too dressy" so this was my second shot at the outfits.  I'm going to go back to my original choices.  Capris on the first outfit along with sandals, and for the second outfit a "cap sleeve" dress.

Secondly, I hate the thought of anyone thinking I was not "classy" or would be "dancing in a club."  eeeeek! haha.  I was completely lost on what I should wear and I'm thankful that someone used the term "business casual."  Now I will NOT look like one of the stripper girlfriends.  Can you say embarassing?! haha. 

I'm still going to stress about the outfit until I get there and see what everyone else is wearing.  Clothing choices always stress me out.  But, I should be safe now. 

BTW, I'm just over 5'1 so length usually isn't a problem for me, except in the case of the cute long dresses.  I'd need super high platforms to pull that off.  So, I cannot even think about wearing that style.  Haha.     

• Options
    imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

I am going to hit up the OP first. Both outfits are very nice options, but I wouldn't wear them for graduation. Maybe save that cute little romper n' pumps for when you guys go out for dinner after graduation.

For the ceremonies, dress subtly sexy. HE will notice (you could be wearing sweatpants and he'd notice you're sexy). Be comfortable and remember that its a mixed crowd. You'll have everything from Grandma - to stripper girlfriends in the bunch.

Again, I think both of your ideas are cute... but a little too sexy for these functions. You may end up sitting in bleachers or seats... or in the sun. Think comfortable and classy!

I know I'm coming in late but Yes  

jessaug6 - if you think that people wont talk about another wife/girlfriend/fiance for what she is wearing - you don't get out much.  It doesn't matter what branch your in it happens.   And nobody was bashing OP's original outfit, they just stated that it is not appropriate for graduation - which its not.  Don't bash the AF, there are a lot of wives/members on this board.  Just because your an army wife doesn't make you any better than anyone else.  

• Options
    imagekjh44:

I'm still going to stress about the outfit until I get there and see what everyone else is wearing.  Clothing choices always stress me out.  But, I should be safe now.

I get stressed out about clothing too.  Can't help it.  Just keep it classy and comfortable and you'll be fine.  Have fun seeing your H!

• Options
    GracieLouFreebush!  HAHA! I LOVE YOUR SN!  Yes
  • Options

You will be doing lots and lots of walking! Mostly on sidewalks and there are a couple of overpasses that you may need to walk over when doing the dorm tours.  Something to keep in mind. You will be a little strapped for time and being able to get around quickly and enjoy your short time together I think you will find is much more important then how cute of a dress you wear!  It will go by so fast, try to enjoy yourself!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"