Special Needs

sedated ABR-any experiences?

Hi,

anyone's LO's have a sedated ABR?  Riley has had 2 in the past, but b/c he was a newborn, it was easy to get him to sleep.....this time he has to be sedated.  The nurse told me it's just an oral med they give him to drink, but I'm still nervous. 

Can you tell me what it's like?

Re: sedated ABR-any experiences?

• Not yet, we have one coming up next week so we are in the same boat. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your nervousness.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My son had one when he was about 13 months old. The medicine did not work very well  on him. I tried to nurse him to sleep w/o the medicine, but that didn't work and it still took an hour to get him to sleep after the medicine. I'm not sure what they give them, but it didn't seem very strong at all. After the test was over I moved him into his stroller and he woke up and staied up. boo! lol After that he was back to normal!

My neighbor's 3 year old just had this test done, and they gave him the meds right away, he went to sleep w/in an hour and slept about 2 hours afterwards. He also had no side effects afterwards.

Don't be too nervous! GL!

• Loading the player...
  • DD had one at 17 mos.  The oral med was tough to get her to take, but we did a large dose...nearly 2 of the little cups if I remember right, and though she was p**sed at me afterward, she got sleepy in 15 or so minutes and slept another 1/2 hour past the test.  She was super hungry when she woke up, but otherwise, it was easy on her. 

Don't worry! It's a simple, non-invasive test.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My 8 month old son had one; it's really no big deal.  He needed an MRI and CT scan at the same time, though, for cochlear implant eval, so he was under general anesthesia.
  • Thanks for sharing your experiences....I know in the big scheme of things it's not a "big deal" but still....

I'm glad it sounds like our kiddos bounce back quickly!

Thanks again!

• We will be under general anesthesia for ours too. DD is having another procedure done by her ENT and we are having a bronchoscopy and a CT done on her lungs as well. It will be about a 4 hour procedure for us.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"