Multiples

Fat twin, skinny twin...

My girls are sooo different from eachother.  Fatty will eat 5 oz and is hungry every 3 hours still.  Skinny is still a 3 oz feeder every 3 hours. She's 12 weeks and still the size of some newborns!  They do sleep longer stretches at night so that's nice.  They were in different size diapers and are coming close to being in different size clothes (as Fatty out grows the 3 month size).  All my cute matching outfits won't get worn!  They're healthy though but definately different.  Anyone else?

Re: Fat twin, skinny twin...

• I have to say it's really odd how you say "fattie" and "fat twin"... it just sounds off.... It almost sounds like the post is made up and trying to create drama or something... but assuming it's real...

My twins are about 9lbs apart in weight now.  They were 2lbs apart at birth, and Gray, my smaller baby - had reflux so was a pickier eater - Gibby would eat anything... He's a chunky monkey for sure.  Gray isn't "skinny" but there is a very noticable size difference - people often ask what the AGE difference is between them - when i tell them 2 minutes they are shocked that they are twins.

early on, even with the size difference- they were able to wear the same size matching clothing people bought them- but around 6mo they were a complete size apart - so if I bought matching clothes (or people asked what size they were for gifts) it was a size apart- and still is.

it used to bother me early on - i wanted to get Gray caught up - but now i realize they are just 2 different people and size isn't a big deal - they are both healthy and eat well, that is all that matters.

• kegkeg member

Mine were over a lb different at birth and are now about 4 lbs different.  It's just the way they are--two different people and body types.  One is basically wearing 12m clothes and the other 18m.  They wore different sized diapers for a while, and probably still could be in different sizes, but I've tried to keep them in the same size diapers as much as possible to cut down on confusion at home and at daycare. 

ETA;  Oh yeah, I think my larger DD tends to eat more, but I think my smaller DD is more adventurous.  She'll eat collards, scallops, veggie burgers, and some other stuff her sister doesn't seem to care for as much.  

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Loading the player...
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

I have to say it's really odd how you say "fattie" and "fat twin"... it just sounds off.... It almost sounds like the post is made up and trying to create drama or something... but assuming it's real...

This. I cannot imagining referring to  my twins as the "fat one" and the "skinny one". I can only imagine how hurtful that could be to the "fat one" as they get older, I really hope that you don't say that in front of them.

My twins are not born so I have no experience with this though.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekaiteedidit:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

I have to say it's really odd how you say "fattie" and "fat twin"... it just sounds off.... It almost sounds like the post is made up and trying to create drama or something... but assuming it's real...

This. I cannot imagining referring to  my twins as the "fat one" and the "skinny one". I can only imagine how hurtful that could be to the "fat one" as they get older, I really hope that you don't say that in front of them.

Ditto.  Sorry, but that sounds awful.  As if girls don't have enough body image issues, they don't need their mother adding to it, you may want to lay off the "fat one" "skinny one" labeling.

My twins are almost 1 pound different but Jacob is definitely thinner, he's an inch and a half longer (he's 3/4 pound heavier).  William's always been a bit rounder.  They both seem happy and healthy.  Mine still eat every 3 hours and will eat about 6 oz each.

• Yeah, I have to agree that sounds awful. :(
    My baby who started out 3 oz smaller was 2 lbs bigger than his brother by 6m. The size difference stayed about 2 lbs apart for a long time but recently seems to be narrowing, as he is now the pickier eater. They are also both healthy but very different. For a long time, Will (my lighter twin) was far more active than Alex so that had something to do with it as well. Alex is also a bit taller. They just have different genes.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Really?  Fat and Fatty?  They are babies.  Babies aren't fat.  Chubby? perhaps.  But not fat. 

All babies are different- as long as each is growing at an appropriate rate, its fine.  Its best not to obsess over comparing the two. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAussie*s_Mom:
    imagekaiteedidit:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

Ditto.  Sorry, but that sounds awful.  As if girls don't have enough body image issues, they don't need their mother adding to it, you may want to lay off the "fat one" "skinny one" labeling.

My twins are almost 1 pound different but Jacob is definitely thinner, he's an inch and a half longer (he's 3/4 pound heavier).  William's always been a bit rounder.  They both seem happy and healthy.  Mine still eat every 3 hours and will eat about 6 oz each.

This totally.  My twins are about 1 1/2 lbs apart and Ava is def bigger than her sister and it shows, her face is rounder and her middle is too.  Gracie is just thinner and more petite.  It's my biggest fear though that people will refer to them as the fat one and the skinny one and I certainly wouldn't do it myself.  Little girls have enough image issues!   

• I'm glad others have commented on the "fat twin" and "Fatty" thing, as it struck me also as very strange. Also, I hope that you let go now of your disappointment that the bigger twin prevents you from dressing them alike in cute matching outfits. If she catches on to that disappointment when she's older (and she will)...well, that's just terrible. 

Don't have my twins yet so I can't answer your question. I can tell you that I'm fully expecting them to be different sizes. They are in utero, and after all they're different people, so there's a good chance. 

• my "fat" one had a huge growth spurt and one day was tall and lean!  he went from the 50% of height to the 90%.
  • Are you serious with Fatty and fat twin? And your worried about matching outfits? I would be happy they are healthy.  And not working on giving them a complex.  Mine are 11 pounds apart.  And I would never call Sofia Fatty.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagekaiteedidit:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

My twins are not born so I have no experience with this though.  

Ugh, I hope they don't grow up having complexes......

Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • I hate to be rude, and I know you didn't mean it to be hurtful (at least I hope you didn't), but calling one "Fat" and the other "Skinny" completely disgusts me. I think it's more that it wasn't a description of your girls, but more you used it as a name? YKWIM?

I am glad that the little weight difference is the biggest thing you are worrying about, but I do believe it should be something you don't worry about... at least not too much (much less call the poor girl fat).

I just see "fat" as a negative characteristic, I guess. 

• imageMrsLee04:
    Has anyone considered the fact that she may have just used "Fatty" and "Skinny" for the sake of the post and not that she actually calls them this IRL?  And they're only 2 months old....obviously she shouldn't call them that once they are old enough to understand, but right now I don't think it's a big deal (if in fact she does call them this IRL)!

I'm sure this is the case. Can you really picture a mom calling her kids this for real? My whole family called my nephew fatty as a term of endearment when he was an infant but we never said it in a rude way or beyond babyhood.

Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsLee04:
    Has anyone considered the fact that she may have just used "Fatty" and "Skinny" for the sake of the post and not that she actually calls them this IRL?  And they're only 2 months old....obviously she shouldn't call them that once they are old enough to understand, but right now I don't think it's a big deal (if in fact she does call them this IRL)!

This. I call Eli fatty some times, but it is a term of endearment and I wouldn't dream of calling him fatty once he can comprehend what I'm saying. 

• Mine vary in size too with the smallest being 16 lbs and the biggest being 23.  I think it is normal!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • janjagjanjag member
    imagejalaiaa:

imageMrsLee04:

This. I call Eli fatty some times, but it is a term of endearment and I wouldn't dream of calling him fatty once he can comprehend what I'm saying. 

this is where i'm at.

all of the silly names we call them are terms of endearment :)

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • my two are completely different sizes are well, but they are healthy, and that is all that matters
  • I just can't get over calling one of your babies Fatty. Whether or not you call her that directly, the idea that you think of her that way seems really sad.  Please come back to this thread and tell us it isn't so!
    TTC Since 2007 M/C survivor twice in 2008 IVF twice at CCRM in 2009 TWIN BOYS born in July 2010 IVF again in 2011 BABY GIRL due August 2012
  • Don't feel bad, I call my niece (Addison) Fatty Addy and she doesn't have a complex. She was a chunky little baby when she was born, but we won't call her that when she knows what it means. I call my twins Chunky Monkey and Skinny Minnie.
  • imageprayin4ablssn:
    Don't feel bad, I call my niece (Addison) Fatty Addy and she doesn't have a complex. She was a chunky little baby when she was born, but we won't call her that when she knows what it means. I call my twins Chunky Monkey and Skinny Minnie.

This sounds more like a term of endearment, totally different IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"