Military Families
Options

deployment advice

my husband is ANG out of mass. and deploys in August. I know that the baby wont notice but right now he's at AT and our 2 year old Kaidan is throwing fits on a daily basis ( I think partly because it's just me and he feels like he gets less attention ) have any of you faced telling your toddler something like this? I have no idea if we should even say anything or how to do it...and this is my first deployment and I don't even know how to handle it myself. needless to say I'm losing it a little :( advice pleaseeee
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: deployment advice

• Options
    Good Luck!!
  • Options

You should try going to Militaryonesource.com and see if there any other advice or tools that could help. 

but theres also this... Sesame Street : Talk, Listen, Connect

https://www.militaryonesource.com/MOS/FindInformation/Category/Topic/Issue/Material.aspx?MaterialTypeID=1&MaterialID=15854

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband is in the Navy and has been deployed alot this year. He goes out for 3 or 4 weeks and comes home for a week or two and goes back out again.  My 2 year old definetly knows that if Daddy is at "work" he'll be home that night and if he is on the "Ship" he isn't coming home for awhile.  So we talk to her the night before he leaves. We tell her Daddy is going on the ship for a little while. She handles the different deployments in different ways just about everytime.. This deployment she isn't handling so well and is acting out very angrily.  I'm at a loss sometimes and wonder if we should handle things differently.  But I definetly would never try to tell her more than the night before that Daddy is leaving.. Her sense of time is just about non-existant so telling her a week in advance would just upset her for no reason.  Good luck on finding a way to talk to your child!  They are all different and you will know what is best!
  • Options

DS was 15 months old when DH left.  He didn't really understand that DH was leaving, but he understood that DH wasn't there.  For a good 2 weeks, DS would watch the door around the time DH was supposed to be home looking for him.  After a little while, he adjusted.

He deployed again when DS was around 2.5.  We told him that daddy had to go away for a little while, but we could talk on the phone and webcam.  It was another adjustment, but DS did okay.  When DH came home, DS was really excited and kept asking, "Hey daddy.  Do you want to come to our house and stay with us?"  It was too cute.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

This is always my go to answer, but do you have a routine?

If you do make sure there is some one on one Mommy/ Toddler time. I noticed a big difference with my 3 when I started giving them each just 15 minutes of their own time. It isn't easy to work it, but its worth it.

Also, its a pretty normal age for your kid to go from little baby wonderful to raging PITA (sad but true). Its a tough age especially when you go it alone.

Good Luck.

you can also check out FOCUS

and MOPS

You also titled it ANG (are you talking Army or Air national guard?) If its Army I have some more information I can give you.

GL!

OH - and if you have family near by that can take your LO for an hour or so DO IT! It will make such a difference in your ability to continually handle the stress during the deployment and it will give your LO some ME time with family/ friends.

• Options

I dont know if this will help, but some ladies in my FRG were talking about ''daddy dolls" its a little doll almost like a stuffed animal that they screen print a picture of daddy on. That way the child can bring daddy everywhere.. to daycare, to play, and to bed.

https://www.hugahero.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"