North Florida Babies
Options

Opinions on the Baptist Childbirth Classes (Jax)

I'm a first timer, and we are planning to take childbirth classes.  My first preference would be to take the Bradley Method classes, but I think they may just be out of our budget.  Still on the fence.  I'm wondering how the childbirth classes are at Baptist, where we're delivering.  We are planning to deliver at the Downtown location, but I'd guess they're all about the same.  If you took the classes, what was your opinion?  Any discussion on how to avoid interventions and meds? 

I'm also specifically wondering if the classes may help DH feel knowledgeable and involved in the birthing process.  He tends to get frustrated when he can't do something to help me if I'm in pain or uncomfortable.  I want him to feel equipped with information to help me through the birth.  That was my main draw to the Bradley Method. 

Any info or opionions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Opinions on the Baptist Childbirth Classes (Jax)

• Options

I don't have anything about Baptist classes, but I know that the nursing staff downtown are not the most supportive of no meds/interventions. The staff are my major concern. We will be taking Bradley classes.

Fruitful vine offers some birthing classes. You could also ask one of the local Bradley instructors if they could work with you on splitting the cost up.

Sorry that I'm not much help.

• Options

Kristin Gartner teaches a great class through Fruitful Vine. It is 6 weeks (7 if you do the BF one too)  I delivered at FV and I felt very prepared. I did also read the Bradley book. 

If you are set on delivering downtown, I would hire a doula. It will truly help you get the birth you are striving towards. Some charge on a sliding scale to make it affordable to everyone.   If you are open at all to a change in venue, I highly recommend FV.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageadarlingzta:

Kristin Gartner teaches a great class through Fruitful Vine. It is 6 weeks (7 if you do the BF one too)  I delivered at FV and I felt very prepared. I did also read the Bradley book. 

If you are set on delivering downtown, I would hire a doula. It will truly help you get the birth you are striving towards. Some charge on a sliding scale to make it affordable to everyone.   If you are open at all to a change in venue, I highly recommend FV.  

I totally agree, I loved my doula and plan to use her when we have #2.  I also highly recommend the bradley classes, they are WELL worth the money and both you and your husband will be totally prepared.  I took the classes with Cecilia Mitchell Miller and she was a fabulous teacher.  

If you're planning to deliver med-free, I'd be really hesitant to do it at any of the local hospitals only using their childbirth classes and without a doula.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

I third the doula idea, though that may not be in your budget either.

I hope you can find something that works for you! And GL!

• Options
    I'm taking classes at Baptist South right now and it is very informative and affordable. However, I want the process to be as pain free as possible. If all you want is to help DH feel knowledgeable of the process I think the classes at Baptist are fine, but if you are looking for a large variety of ways to cope with pain and techniques to help DH feel useful while you are in pain your best route would be to contact fruitful Vine. I think the nurses at Baptist will support your birthing plan but they will still offer you meds if they access that you are not coping with the pain. FV are experts on avoiding interventions and meds and all the women that I know praise them for that. GL to you =)
  • Options

I'd also like to suggest the CEA classes by Healthy Mothers and Healthy Babies. We took the class with them when I was pregnant. Our instructor was Rhonda. It was really informative and she taught us relaxation techniques as well as breathing, positions and pain management. It wasn't as in depth as Bradley classes, I would imagine, but it was fairly good.

If you'd like more info or a contact name, just ask and I'll provide :)

• Options

Mana, what is CEA?

I really wish I would have taken a class of some sort, rather than trying to do Hypnobabies by myself at home.  DH definitely needed more preparation because all he did when he saw me in pain was turn into a deer in the headlights! :)

Mungee and Me
    How is it that my BABY is going to be 3?

BFP-2/25/11; 8 Wk U/S-3/25/11-No HB, measured 6.5 wks; D&C
  • Options
    The Childbirth Education Association. That's what I've always called them. I think they go by Healthy Mother's Healthy Babies, now.
  • Options

DH and I are taking the Childbirth Education class through Baptist at Destination Maternity. Personally, I could have done without; but I've also been reading a ton of books and using a doula. There is nothing I have heard in class that I didn't already know. DH said the same thing. It's all very basic knowledge. Our last class is this Wednesday and we are thinking of just skipping it.

I feel that because the class is taught by a Baptist nurse they do not talk enough about avoiding interventions, my doula has told me that most hospitals are pro intervention. The only thing she discussed to avoid interventions was breathing techniques and changing positions while in labor. You cannot use a birthing ball at Baptist and I dont think you can use the shower (I don't really remember though.)

If you are going to take classes I suggest using a doula, I am kicking myself for even spending the money to use the class through Baptist.

• Options
    I really appreciate everyone's responses and suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"