Georgia Babies
Options

Any tips for mosquito bites?

I think Brady is allergic to mosquito bites.  He got one on his leg and one on his arm last week and they were HUGE.  They turned really red and were swollen and are really just now starting to disappear over a week later.  Well, yesterday morning I had him outside with me while I was watching the dogs and I saw a mosquito land on his cheek.  I swatted it away, but must have been too late because I could see the bite starting to show up yesterday.  This morning he looks like he fell on his face or something because it is a huge red mark under his eye.

Anyway, is there anything I can do about it or help the swelling, redness go away?  I've heard to make a baking soda paste and put it on, but wasn't sure if that really does anything.  Should I use cortizone or calamine or something?  Or should I just leave it alone? 

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
my blog

Re: Any tips for mosquito bites?

• Options

I like the Aveeno brand cortizone best.  Walgreens and CVS makes a generic.  P has gotten some nasty mosquito, ant, and tick (SO GROSS - I pulled this one out of her ear) bites this year.  But she loves the outdoors.....

I don't generally remember bug spray, but we use the Cutter Skinsations kind and it doesn't seem to irritate her.  I spray her shoes, legs and clothes and try to avoid her hands and face.  If the bugs are really bad, I will spray some on my hands and rub it on her neck and behind her ears.

• Options
    The same thing happens to Hailey. I asked the pedi about it last year, and they said that its common in babies b/c they haven't built up a resistance. When I was young and even still now, I am allergic to mosquito bites, so I'm wondering if it's hereditary. They swell up like crazy on me and do hardly nothing to DH.  I  found California Baby Bug Repellent Spray that I use for Hailey now.  It's all natural and deet free. I spray her up with it before we go outside now and it works great! As far as treating the bites, I haven't tried a whole lot on her b/c they don't seem to bother her. If it looks like it may get infected, I put neosporin on it. I've seen the benadryl sticks that you can dab on bites, but haven't tried it on her yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    maykatmaykat member
    we have always used equal parts rubbing acohol and vinegar in a spray bottle.  It's helps take away the itch.
  • Options
    care99care99 member

Poor guy!

An alternative you may want to consider is getting a mosquito service for your yard.  Arrow does our pest control and also mosquito spray for the yard.  It's done in March-October and we can be outside with no spray.  It's awesome!

• Options
    They look horrible on Caroline as well.  One night I took her shirt off and she had three huge bites on her back.  But they don't seem to bother her so I don't really do anyhting for them.  I did go buy some Off family bug spray to use outside now. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    same thing happens to haley...and my husband. I asked the doc the other day and he said as soon I see that she has a bite put cortizone on it and it will help with the swelling and redness. They don't seem to bother her...but I know at some point they will.
  • Options

Gavin and I are both mosquito magnets. The best product I've ever found is a clear gel by Band Aid Brand (used to be called Rhuli Gel).  My brother first found out about it when he was in Boy Scouts in the 80s!  Usually, I can just apply it once and it clears it up.  This is what it looks like- I usually find it with the cortizones and other anti-itch products at the drugstore...

As for bug spray, my grandmother always used Avon Skin So Soft on us when were little to keep them from biting.  Her trick for treating bug bites is to put a tiny drop of clorox right on it right after it happens.  I wouldn't do this on a baby but I have done it on myself and it really does work.  Just be really careful not to get it on your clothes.

• Options

OMG slw!  I wondered whatever happened to Rhuli gel.  I used it when I went to and worked at overnight camp years ago and it was awesome!!!  I'll have to go over to target tomorrow and get some. :-)

Benjamin has gotten bitten up over the past few weeks or so.  Benadryl has a topical spray that I've been using on him but now that I know Rhuli gel exists in a different form, I'll be using that on him. 

• Options
    imagetracigator:

OMG slw!  I wondered whatever happened to Rhuli gel.  I used it when I went to and worked at overnight camp years ago and it was awesome!!!  I'll have to go over to target tomorrow and get some. :-)

Benjamin has gotten bitten up over the past few weeks or so.  Benadryl has a topical spray that I've been using on him but now that I know Rhuli gel exists in a different form, I'll be using that on him. 

I'm not sure if Target carries it or not- I've honestly never looked there.  But I usually can find it at Rite Aid- back when they used to be Eckerd I knew where every product was b/c I worked there all through college- if they still use the same product maps it would be on the top shelf with all the cortisones and stuff :-)

• Options

Ditto slw!!!  I loooove that stuff. Works like a charm!

I would suggest something that a pp suggested.  Spray your yard!  It costs us like $40 or $50 and it lasts for a month (depending on the rain).  We see zero mosquitoes during that time.  It allows us to hang out outside with no worry of getting bites!

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  I do use California Baby Bug Spray on him, but I don't put it on every single time we go out.  I will look into getting the yard sprayed.  I'm also stopping by Rite Aid to look for that Band Aid spray today!  Thanks slw!
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"