Military Families

Eczema is getting old... Help please.

This is my son's back.  I lather with lotion 5x a day, we fill him with water, we only give him a bath every 3 days, we do oatmeal baths every other bath.  I'm at a freaking loss.  We have prescription lotion, we've been to the Dr and they've done nothing for us.  This is just damn heartbreaking.  What can I do? 

Re: Eczema is getting old... Help please.

• I would try a different doctor if they aren't responsive.

A lot of times it has to do with a food allergy, but my dd's never have/had it too severe so I never worried too much about it.

Have you tried aquaphor?  It is really the only thing I do that really makes a difference.  I see you are doing less baths, are you doing them in lukewarm water?  Also using only free detergents and softeners?

I am confused about the water part?  Were you told to give him water?  I have  not heard that.  How old is your DS?

• We were told to give water with meals to help keep him hydrated.  We don't use any scents, ever.  Aquaphor made it worse, so we use Vanicream.  We do lukewarm water, oatmeal baths... everything I've heard.  I'm going to call the Dr in the morning and make them do an allergy test.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had really bad eczema when I was younger and the only thing that worked was a certain steroidal cream. It was wonderful. I don't remember the name, but I remember that the cream worked wonders. I feel for your little boy. I know that it can't be comfortable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son's was never quite that bad, but we had good luck using Arbonne baby lotion and body wash.  One of our pediatricians suggested not completely drying him off after his bath, just pat him until he's almost dry and then lather him first with the Arbonne lotion and then slather with Aquaphor (which I know you said made it worse...have you tried Cetaphil?). 

Also, someone told me that Aveeno has a hydrocortison cream that works really well.  :( I think I would follow the advice of a PP and maybe seek out a different doctor at this point.  I'm sorry you have to go through this!  It's so hard to see them suffer!

• Sunlight doesn't seem to help it either. I'm not leaving the Dr tomorrow tiil they do an allergy test. This has gotten way too ridiculous.
  • Time to get a referral to a dermatologist. He needs to be on a topical steroid and possibly an antihistimine at this point. Moisturizing will only help prevent the healthy skin for drying. He needs to heal over the eczema affected skin with medication.

Eczema is rarely associated with food allergies (other than nuts or a SEVERE dairy allergy) it is a misconception. You can get food related rashes. Eczema can be associated with environmental allergies and asthma.

Aquaphor is NOT a moisturizer. It will not hydrate his skin in the slightest. Aquaphor is a barrier ointment that seals off moisture which is the opposite of what you want. Peds who recommend it are idiots. Its pretty much like putting vaseline all over your kid. Not gonna do anything at all.

Vanicream is great stick with it. Use only free and clear products for the entire household and NO  fabric softener or dryer sheets for anyone. If you must use them for yourself, you must take a wet cloth and wash out the dryer drum before you put his clothes in it.

Also fragranted things you or YH may use can cause issues with your child. No perfume or moisturizers. 

• imagehotmomma1:
    Sunlight doesn't seem to help it either. I'm not leaving the Dr tomorrow tiil they do an allergy test. This has gotten way too ridiculous.
    They will not do an allergy test tomorrow and frankly that isnt going to fix the problem. He is too young for a skin allergen test to actually be of any good. The only thing that would remotely give you any insight on allergies would be a blood test called the Rast Test. However, that is still not going to change his eczema. Most people with eczema honestly it is environmental and not food related. I would not leave the ped without a Derm referral and an emergency fit in with a derm.
  • imageskinnursemandee:

Eczema is rarely associated with food allergies (other than nuts or a SEVERE dairy allergy) it is a misconception. You can get food related rashes. Eczema can be associated with environmental allergies and asthma.

Eczema can worsen by an allergy to a food. Such as dairy, wheat, etc. per the Mayo clinic.  

That's why I say she does need to get him a blood allergy test.  

30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • My youngest son will break out instantly with his eczema (primarily on his face) if he eats anything with eggs. 

I agree that food allergies can cause eczema.

He also has environmental allergies as well of course.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLemonLover33:
    imageskinnursemandee:

Eczema can worsen by an allergy to a food. Such as dairy, wheat, etc. per the Mayo clinic.  

Can worsen ie Flare is not the same as being caused by. I also in my post recommended a Rast test which is a blood test for allergens.  Food Allergies again RARELY cause eczema, they can cause a flare of the already existing skin condition like I said again in my post above. I understand what Mayo clinic online says and I also understand what my 7 years medical training in derm and my 12 years experience as a dermatology medical provider tell me.

Antihistimines work in healing eczema, antihistimines do not treat food allergies nor do moisturizers and topical steroids hmmm go figure

other poster, fantastic info on cerave. That is always my go to product for everyone.

• They are telling me it's Ringworm and I'm very hardpressed to believe that.  I never said that an allergy was CAUSING it, but I do believe that an allergy is making it flare, as you said.  Either way, I would have liked to get an allergy test done today (a blood test, like you said) but the doctor was in the room for a whopping 30 seconds before he walked out and didn't let me ask a single question.
  • Thats not ringworm. It would be much more annular and not so assymetric in pattern.

Question for you. Did it start as one big spot say for example on his back or stomach and then spread to all these little spots?

If so, email me. skinnursemandy at yahoo dot com

• imageskinnursemandee:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageskinnursemandee:

Can worsen ie Flare is not the same as being caused by. I also in my post recommended a Rast test which is a blood test for allergens.  Food Allergies again RARELY cause eczema, they can cause a flare of the already existing skin condition like I said again in my post above. I understand what Mayo clinic online says and I also understand what my 7 years medical training in derm and my 12 years experience as a dermatology medical provider tell me.

To me, it sounded like you're dismissing the possibility that food allergies could be contributing to the severity of the eczema. She needs to rule out the possibility of food allergies. 

imageskinnursemandee:

They will not do an allergy test tomorrow and frankly that isnt going to fix the problem. The only thing that would remotely give you any insight on allergies would be a blood test called the Rast Test. However, that is still not going to change his eczema. 

The test won't change the fact that he has eczema but it could lessen his flares if they are caused by food allergies. So, food allergies and eczema ARE related because it could worsen the eczema.

He could be that rare child. = ) 

• imageLemonLover33:
    imageskinnursemandee:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageskinnursemandee:

To me, it sounded like you're dismissing the possibility that food allergies could be contributing to the severity of the eczema. She needs to rule out the possibility of food allergies. 

imageskinnursemandee:

They will not do an allergy test tomorrow and frankly that isnt going to fix the problem. The only thing that would remotely give you any insight on allergies would be a blood test called the Rast Test. However, that is still not going to change his eczema. 

The test won't change the fact that he has eczema but it could lessen his flares if they are caused by food allergies. So, food allergies and eczema ARE related because it could worsen the eczema.

Again, I never said they were NOT related. I believe in my origional post I said quite the contrary. its okay though not everyone can understand
  • imageskinnursemandee:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageskinnursemandee:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imageskinnursemandee:

imageskinnursemandee:

Again, I never said they were NOT related. I believe in my origional post I said quite the contrary. its okay though not everyone can understand

Honey, I understand you perfectly. You said they are rarely related. And it very much seems that you are brushing off the idea that food at all could affect him. You did not "suggest" the test as you say. You mentioned it but said it really would matter. I'm just making sure that W gets the best care. Honestly, this doesn't matter anymore. I just was clarifying for the OP that she should do the test just as many other posters did as well. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"