Military Families
Options

Tip for deployed Toddler Dad/Mom (PIP)

When my H was deployed last year to Iraq the boy (2 & 3) sent him a small toy he could carry in his pocket - a little train engine called Percy. Well. Percy had quite a good time in the Sandbox, and his story really helped the kids relate to what DH was doing "at work"...

He took pics of Percy "on the job" and sent them back via email whenever he could. My younger son REALLY looked forward to see what PerPee was doing and it kept the bond going all through deployment....

caption read: "Today Percy learned about indirect fire, "Fire for effect, Percy! Fire for effect!"

caption read: "Percy, Don't play in there"

It helped the boys SEE what Daddy's job was without me having to turn on the news... THEN, when he came home he made sure that Percy was in his pocket. It was a big moment for L (2 yo) when he got Percy back.

Re: Tip for deployed Toddler Dad/Mom (PIP)

• Options
    I've been thinking about doing this for W and M.  W will be just over a year when M deploys, I wonder if he'll be too young to really 'get it?'
  • Options

imagehotmomma1:
    I've been thinking about doing this for W and M.  W will be just over a year when M deploys, I wonder if he'll be too young to really 'get it?'

It won't be a BAD idea, but I believe the trick was that the kids sent Percy to DH. So they saw that Daddy was getting the little things they sent.

Hey, it can't hurt! LOL

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jing, I LOVED this idea when you told us about it last year!  If we ever have to deal with another deployment after we have kids I'm stealing this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Aw, that is very cute! I remember you mention the train before but I wasn't sure of what your H did with it (the photos, etc) to help your LO's. 

• Options
    imageARMYmarriedNAVY:

When my H was deployed last year to Iraq the boy (2 & 3) sent him a small toy he could carry in his pocket - a little train engine called Percy. Well. Percy had quite a good time in the Sandbox, and his story really helped the kids relate to what DH was doing "at work"...

I just wanted to say thank you!  I love reading your posts and replies.  They are always helpful and informative, as well being supportive (even if its "tough" love, its not mean).

So thank you :) 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No problem MarineWifey! I try... every once in a while I will get caught up in the drama storm, but I try to avoid it.

I also think sugar coating stuff sets people/spouses/families up for failure. Its best to put the truth out there so they are prepared to deal with it.

Thanks for the props. I appreciate it. :-)

• Options
    RN5406RN5406 member

What a great idea! I wish I thought of that. We're nearing the end of my DH's deployment and doubt I could send something in time. Thanks for sharing!

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageRN5406:

What a great idea! I wish I thought of that. We're nearing the end of my DH's deployment and doubt I could send something in time. Thanks for sharing!

Ditto!

I'll keep in in reserve :) 

• Options
    That is a fabulous idea! Well done.
  • Options
    cute idea! My husband will be home in a few weeks, but we'll definitely be using it when he leaves again in Dec. 
  • Options
    No way! When C deployed last year he took Keiran's Thomas with him!  It got awfully beat up but that's my favorite thing about it :)  I'll have to take a pic sometime tomorrow and show you.  Our boys (big and little) must think alike!
  • Options

imagektbrown711:
    No way! When C deployed last year he took Keiran's Thomas with him!  It got awfully beat up but that's my favorite thing about it :)  I'll have to take a pic sometime tomorrow and show you.  Our boys (big and little) must think alike!

HA HA! That is so funny! Lukey wouldn't let go of Thomas for anything, but Percy was allowed to make the trip...

are you the same person who has a daughter named Kadence/ Kadee?

If you are I'm gonna think this is a strange twilight-zone episode.

• Options
    That's really awesome. DD was only 3 months when DH deployed, but I will definitely remember this for his next one (we all know there will be a next one).
  • Options
    Thank you SO much for posting this!!! I will definitely be keeping this in mind for when DD is born and DH is deployed!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"