3rd Trimester

is it the sex or the orgasm that brings on labor?

would manual fun also induce labor?

Re: is it the sex or the orgasm that brings on labor?

• my doctor said it's the semen. It helps "ripen" the cervix.
  • its the semen that has some chemical that could trigger labor.  nipple stimulation could work to release hormones that might bring on labor too if you're totally over the idea of sex.  =)
  • Loading the player...
  • According to my nurse it is a hormone in the sperm so I don't think manual would work. She literally told us to "go deep" if that is what we were trying to accomplish. Both me and my hubby turned bright red!!!! But it was so funny.
  • I believe it's the sperm and adjoining fluid that causes changes in the cervix.
  • Semen contains a hormone that helps to soften the cervix.

Orgasm causes the uterus to contract, those contractions can sometimes coax the uterus into productive contractions (if your body is ready, of course).

• Semen contains prostaglandins that help soften the cervix, and orgasm releases oxytocin which is what causes uterine contractions (pitocin is synthetic oxytocin, for example).

I can only speak for my own experience, but sex has put me into preterm labor twice now, but only sex where I orgasm.

• imageMeanMommyLady:

Semen contains a hormone that helps to soften the cervix.

Orgasm causes the uterus to contract, those contractions can sometimes coax the uterus into productive contractions (if your body is ready, of course).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFetus Ticker  
    Ashley, DH: Paul
    Angel Baby: March 09
    #1-BFP: 11.17.09~EDD: 7.21.10~Tristan born 7.13.10 via unnecessary c-sec
    #2-BFP: 3.17.14~EDD: 11.28.14~ It's A Girl!~Shooting for a VBAC
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It is the prostaglandin in semen that helps to ripen the cervix.

Orgasms might help because they do release oxytocin in the body (as well as nipple stimulation), which can jump start labor if your body is ready to go into labor.

• imageMeanMommyLady:

What she said ^^^ exactly

sry.. weird dup post

BabyFetus Ticker  
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMeanMommyLady:

What she said ^^^ exactly

BabyFetus Ticker  
  • i was at my birthing class last night and we were told that nipple stimulation can also bring on labour.  but in regards to sex, I've heard it's the seman that can do the job.
  • Sex sent me into false labor.  I spent all night in L&D and was sent home 8 hours later when I wasn't dilating and the contractions stalled out.

Three days later I went into labor (without sex)

• The semen helps ripen the cervix. Your O causes the uterus to contract which can bring on BH contractions which can lead to the real thing.

I've been alternating between sex and "me time" to get the best of both (sucks, but sex is pretty uncomfortable right now and an O is just not going to happen that way!)

image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelulu?bean:

Semen contains prostaglandins that help soften the cervix, and orgasm releases oxytocin which is what causes uterine contractions (pitocin is synthetic oxytocin, for example).

I can only speak for my own experience, but sex has put me into preterm labor twice now, but only sex where I orgasm.

This.  Both help. Sexual arousal releases oxytocin and oxytocin is the same hormone that creates contractions during childbirth.  If your body is ready and has already made progress then the extra oxytocin may help stimulate something.  

• imagelulu?bean:

Semen contains prostaglandins that help soften the cervix, and orgasm releases oxytocin which is what causes uterine contractions (pitocin is synthetic oxytocin, for example).

This.  Both help. Sexual arousal releases oxytocin and oxytocin is the same hormone that creates contractions during childbirth.  If your body is ready and has already made progress then the extra oxytocin may help stimulate something.  

• orgasms always give me contractions....with or without sex....
  • semen has prostaglandin in it
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It's the orgasm....and the semen too....when you have an orgasm your uterus contracts anyway, even when there's no baby in there. Semen is said to have some of the same qualities as pitocin.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • my hubby is going to love this. lol
    Me: 31   DH: 34
    Married: 5/12/07
    DD: 7/28/10
    TTC#2: 10/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"