Military Families
Options

Bridesmaid Dress Question

I know this is probably more of a Knot question but whenever I get the time to check boards/post anything it is always here so hopefully you ladies will have some insight....

BIL

is getting

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Question

• Options

OKAY...The Bump wigged out and won't let me deleted the multiple half-posts WTF?

To finished what I was saying...BIL is getting married in August and I have been asked to be a BM. The Bride went out this weekend and purchased the dresses and mailed mine to me yesterday. The problem is she assumed I am a size 14 and that is what she bought (later found out that this is the smallest size it comes in). Now to be fair, when she saw me last I was a 16 but I have dropped 3 borderline 4 sizes. In the next 7+ weeks it is likely to be 4-5sizes. If you were in the process of losing weight, how close to the wedding date would you have the dress altered?

Another question: I need to send her the money for the dress, would you include the amount it cost her to ship it also?

• Options
    august is a big wedding season, so i would find a tailor and ask them how long it would take.  Make and setup an appointment ahead of time, but set it for their turnaround.  Did she tell you how much the dress cost or how much it cost and shipping? Just send her what amount she told you, I think.  Congrats and good luck losing weight!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelifestooshort128:
    august is a big wedding season, so i would find a tailor and ask them how long it would take.  Make and setup an appointment ahead of time, but set it for their turnaround.  Did she tell you how much the dress cost or how much it cost and shipping? Just send her what amount she told you, I think.  Congrats and good luck losing weight!

Thanks! I didn't even think about it being wedding season...better start scooping out tailors! She said the dress was $25 and I noted that the postage said $9.70 and then I figured tax too. It isn't that big of a deal since I was sort of expected her to go the David's Bridal $89-$99 BM dress route. I sort of felt bad that she had to mail it so that I could have time to get alterations.

• Options

Start scoping out seamstresses now. Take the dress with you and tell them the situation. Most will tell you to wait until you're done losing weight, or right around. And wedding season shouldn't be an issue if they're good at their job.  

I used to work in a bridal salon and our rule of thumb was that we could alter the dresses up to one size up and two sizes down before it started looking like a different dress.

What kind of dress is it? 

5/100
    "So if you decide to date the guy from Applebees instead will your new SN be "mypearlshisapron?" Your new sig can be "putting the ho in nachos.""- DNBeach12
    PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    imageKiller Cupcake:

Start scoping out seamstresses now. Take the dress with you and tell them the situation. Most will tell you to wait until you're done losing weight, or right around. And wedding season shouldn't be an issue if they're good at their job.  

I used to work in a bridal salon and our rule of thumb was that we could alter the dresses up to one size up and two sizes down before it started looking like a different dress.

what she said... :-)

• Options
    imageKiller Cupcake:

It is 92% polyester and 8% spandex...I will try to put pictures:

Should be easy to adjust right? Mostly just the top since the skirt if flowy.

• Options
    I have no sewing skills whatsoever, but since it's flowy, I bet they will be able to take it in as much as you need and it will still look great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"