Postpartum Depression

medication and 2nd child

Hi I'm new here to this board. I wish this board existed when my daughter was born almost 2 years ago. I had very bad post partum depression and anxiety. I couldn't function. I couldn't sit still, couldn't sleep, threw up everything I ate, cried all the time and hard sharp burning going from my neck down my back all the time. Once I got the help and medications I needed, I have been doing great. I feel like a regular person again. The problem is that in January I was pregnant again and had to quit my medicine cold turkey per the advice of my doctor. That was a really bad week. My symptoms returned. The pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage. I felt terrible. My doctor says that I would have to be off my medication if I was going to get pregnant again. Now I'm thinking that I will never be able to have another child, which makes me sad. I always thought I would have two children, but my daughter may have to be an only child. Is anyone else in this situation?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: medication and 2nd child

• Our daughters have the same name!

I don't have IRL experience with your situation but what makes you think you can't conceive again? M/Cs (though heartbreaking) are somewhat common. 

I weaned myself off Zoloft completely before getting PG. Now I'm back on it. 

(((hugs)))

www.jojofromtheblog.com Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • I'm sorry you're having a hard time. 

Zoloft is safe to take during pregnancy. You'll have to ween off a few weeks before your due date (some dr's say you don't have to) then you'll be started up again as soon as you deliver. (They literally gave me a zoloft not even a minute after delivery) 

{Ava 5.16.06} {Ella 12.29.07} {Drew 2.9.10}
  • Loading the player...
  • nelb3nelb3 member
    I suffered a lot too! And, I'm TTC again now and both my OBGYN and counselor said it's safe to be on a low dose of Zoloft while pg. They explained to me that it's safer to be on a low dose of something to manage my emotions/depression/anxiety...rather than my depression to become more serious which can have an effect on baby too.  I am currently off of it but totally open to being back on it if I need to be. I also have a friend who was taking something while she was pg too, the entire pregnancy and she and baby are both fine.  I say do some research, maybe get a second opinion...but remember, you absolutely can have another baby! best of luck! 
  • Thanks for all of the support! I am on zoloft but I am also on Clonazepam or Klonipin. I take it at night before I go to bed. That is the medication that I would have to stop taking, and when I got pregnant in January unexpectantly I had to stop that medication cold turkey (which I know, I should have been weaned off). Has anyone taken Clonazepam while pregnant?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"