Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Getting pregnant with one ovary

I was curious if there was anyone out there that had an ovary removed a few months before trying to get pregnant?

I went off birth control last October and had one of my ovaries removed in late September. I know it's most likely too soon to worry about having trouble getting pregnant but I still have a fear that I might not be able to after that.

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Getting pregnant with one ovary

• Options
    Because we thought I was pregnant but turned out I wasn't. And I just realized it was still up there.
  • Options
    imagelunakittybaby:

I was curious if there was anyone out there that had an ovary removed a few months before trying to get pregnant?

I went off birth control last October and had one of my ovaries removed in late September. I know it's most likely too soon to worry about having trouble getting pregnant but I still have a fear that I might not be able to after that.

Hi! I had an ovary and fallopian tube removed in January of this year and we just started TTC this cycle. My doctor informed me that instead of your ovaries taking turns releasing eggs each month the ovary that you have should take over just fine for every month. I hope this helps! Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you Lisalou2 it kind of does help. My doctor told me the same thing and it does give me some more relief to know it wasn't just my doctor.
  • Options
    I hardly ever post, but I understand where you are coming from.  With my second miscarriage they found a huge dermoid cyst.  I had to have both the left ovary and left fallopian tube removed in late December, 3 days before Christmas.  I waited one cycle TTC and then started in February.  I got my BFP in April.  I also have pcos in my right ovary, so yes it is possible to get pg with one ovary!
  • Options
    atlbatlb member
    imageLisalou2:
    imagelunakittybaby:

Hi! I had an ovary and fallopian tube removed in January of this year and we just started TTC this cycle. My doctor informed me that instead of your ovaries taking turns releasing eggs each month the ovary that you have should take over just fine for every month. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Just FYI, ovaries do not "take turns" releasing eggs. On top of that, people with two healthy ovaries do not always ovulate. However, it is still very much possible to get KU with only one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi there! I only have one ovary as well due to ovarian cancer. My oncologist (from MD Anderson Cancer Center, very reputable) informed me that your existing ovary will take over the function of both, kind of like a kidney! That's why God gave us two of everything! It is very possible to get pregnant with only one. I ovulate just fine even after coming off BC, so it seems thus far anyway.

FYI: Most people are under the assumption that your ovaries take turns, which could be true, but sometimes the same ovary will release an egg 2 or 3 months in a row before it takes a break and lets the other one have a turn. The only way to tell if you are ovulating is to chart your BBT. You should sign up for free at fertility friend to learn about charting. You can get there through my ticker, or anyone else's. Also, Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great book with tons of information that will be helpful to you. Good luck!

TTC since 04/2010
    Ovarian cancer survivor
    DH= low motility
    2/9/11 lap & hysteroscopy- uterine polyp & scar tissue removed
    3/25/11 IUI#1= BFP m/c; D&C at 7w3d (Trisomy 16)
    IUIs #2, #3, #4 and #5= BFNs
    Onto IVF #1= BFN
    FET 4/6/12= 2 extended blasts transferred, with one hatching
    Beta 1= 607; Beta 2= 1,564; Beta 3= 24,439; Beta 4= over 64,000
    First u/s on 5/10= TWINS! Heartbeats 158 and 160!
    It's a boy and a girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My Blog
    Huge congrats to my beautiful BFPB lmj8284, due June 2012!
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -FDR
  • Options
    To be honest with all of you considering the orginal post was about one ovary not about ovulation I don't really care.. Only two people have answered the orginal question at hand. They do take turns yes not all the time but you're missing the fact she made it out to be at all over someone's comment that said it would take over fully. So if you want to post make sure YOU know all the facts and read the first post I thought this was for answers not yelling at people or who's right or who's wrong. I won't go on some else's thread and post what I don't know the facts neither should you. They say in sex ed normal cycles last 28 days, and they don't say when you ovulate so. If you don't have an answer to the first post to reply.
  • Options

imagelunakittybaby:
    To be honest with all of you considering the orginal post was about one ovary not about ovulation I don't really care.. Only two people have answered the orginal question at hand. They do take turns yes not all the time but you're missing the fact she made it out to be at all over someone's comment that said it would take over fully. So if you want to post make sure YOU know all the facts and read the first post I thought this was for answers not yelling at people or who's right or who's wrong. I won't go on some else's thread and post what I don't know the facts neither should you. They say in sex ed normal cycles last 28 days, and they don't say when you ovulate so. If you don't have an answer to the first post to reply.

??  I think this is a weird overreaction.  When you post on a message board, you don't get to dictate what replies you get.  Take the ones that are helpful and ignore the others.

Anyway, I have a friend who was born with only one ovary and fallopian tube.  She has two beautiful children.  Good luck to you.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Yes, I lost an ovary and tube to a dermoid cyst when I was 15.  I had 4 rounds of chemo at that time.  Although I was not charting at that age, I was still getting my period regularly and my doctor said the other ovary had taken over the defunct ovary's function (and before anyone gets in a twist, I know, I know, without charting I can't say that I was ovulating with certainty). 

Anyway, I got pg with DS in 2007 after 7 cycles.  Based on charting, my one ovary had clearly taken over the reins.  I am now pg again after 4 cycles.  Plus, I have 3 cysts inside my one remaining ovary and it's still hobbling along.

I had your same fears - it's hard not when you only have one egg source.  But, don't stress yet.  GL to you.
    DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"