2nd Trimester

Those with an older child in daycare...

What do you plan on doing with your older LO and daycare when you're on maternity leave? Are you going to take him or her out of daycare, or keep them in?? I'm torn on this. I don't want to keep him in because if I'm home I want him home with me, but when I go back to work in March or April he's going to have to go back. We really can't afford to keep him in daycare while I'm on leave because I'm a teacher and I don't really get disability, but I'm afraid to ruin his routine. Also, it'd be nice to have some time alone with the baby to bond. I was thinking about maybe keeping him in for 2 or 3 half days a week. But then again, it's going to be winter and I dont' want to have to take the baby and Matthew out in the freezing weather...ugh, tough decisions!!

What would you or what are you going to do?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Those with an older child in daycare...

• I think half-days a couple days a week would be good. That way you can go out and get things done with LO and not have an older child to lug around. =P That is what I am going to do- but it depends more on our budget than what i want. =P
    - - - - Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit The Knot! image image Visit The Knot!
  • I am going to keep my DD home with me the first few weeks, until I feel like I can go out and drive and move around well on my own.  I went back to work 3 weeks after she was born, so I feel like after 3 weeks, I can get out and take her to "school."  I want things to be as much as normal for her as soon as possible, so I will try to get her out and to school after a few weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have to pay for daycare whether he's there or not.  He'll probably go most days while I'm home.  I'm probably having another c/s and it will be easier on my recovery to not chase after him all day.  Plus, he really enjoys going to daycare.  Why ruin a good thing?  I don't want to mess with his routine any more than I have to.
  • I switched DS days to part time.  This way he can still enjoy playing with other kids instead of staying home with me since I will most likely have a C-section.  And I saved myself some $$$
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not sending L to daycare while on maternity leave. I'm lucky in that my mom is off on mondays, so she will come over that day to help out. My MIL doesn't work so I'm sure she'll either come over a day or two a week (she did last time) or we can at least send L to her house if I'm overwhelmed.

I think my 8yo niece is going to hang out with us on her days off of school (#2 is coming around Nov 21 so I'll be off for the holidays) and she can help entertain L. I'll still have to change L's diapers and feed her, of course, but my niece is loves to play with L so I hope that helps ease some guilt about me not playing with her enough.

ETA: L doesn't have a strict routine, though. Now, mym mom wathces her on Monday, she goes to MIL's one or two days a week, and daycare two or three days a week. She's a very flexible and relaxed baby so far, so I don't have to worry too much about switching things up for her.

• imageIs it June yet?:
    We have to pay for daycare whether he's there or not.  He'll probably go most days while I'm home.  I'm probably having another c/s and it will be easier on my recovery to not chase after him all day.  Plus, he really enjoys going to daycare.  Why ruin a good thing?  I don't want to mess with his routine any more than I have to.

This exactly! If our DCP will let us do part time and only pay for part time I will do that. I don't want to lose our spot there though, so we'll see. I haven't talked to her about it yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageIs it June yet?:
    We have to pay for daycare whether he's there or not.  He'll probably go most days while I'm home.  I'm probably having another c/s and it will be easier on my recovery to not chase after him all day.  Plus, he really enjoys going to daycare.  Why ruin a good thing?  I don't want to mess with his routine any more than I have to.

This. Though he goes to daycare near where I work which is 40 minutes away so I'll probably drop him off late and pick him up early. Both of the kids will be going to the same daycare once I get back from leave. 

• imageIs it June yet?:

This exactly!!

• DS onlys goes part time and he will stay in even through I'll be home. I don't want to ruin his routine and I want some alone time with the new baby. Could you take him part time?
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If you can swing the half-day or part-time daycare at least, I think thats your best option. That way your they will still have the routine of going to daycare, but you can also keep him at home and save a little money.

For us, we are going to keep DD in daycare. I *might* do half-day or even have her stay at home with me one day a week so she can also bond with the new baby. But, probably not more that that. DD#1 needs a lot of stimulation and activity and I dont know I will be able to provide that with a newborn.

When I go back to work though, it will be part-time and so, I will at that point keep the babies home when I am not working.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We would have to pay for daycare anyway if we want to hold his spot open, so we will be sending him.  I am sure there are days that I will keep him home with me and the baby, but he loves daycare so much and would miss his friends if I kept him out.
  • imageIs it June yet?:

Ditto this, except I don't know that I will have a c/s. She may not stay a full day, but at least most of the day, most of the time,  so I can have time to recover and get back in the swing of things with new baby. She does love daycare, too.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"