2nd Trimester
Options

Catholic baptism - when?

Anyone know what age the Catholic church usually baptizes babies?  The way the timing works out w/ classes and baptism weekends compared to when our baby will be born, we have to choose when it would be 1 month old or 4 months old (don't know the dates in Feb yet and my parents will be on a cruise and my bro and his soon-to-be wife will be on their honeymoon).

When are you thinking of baptizing your baby?

Re: Catholic baptism - when?

• Options
    My daughter was born in February and we had her baptism at the end of April.  The one is due in November and we will probably have the baptism in January/ February (after the holidays)
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you can do it whenever you want.  DD was baptized Catholic, and we did it when she had just turned 3 months.  No real time frame for us; we just kinda said, hey we wanna do it, so let's just pick a date.  LOL.
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We're having LO baptized when she is 15 days old.

My BIL is her GodFather and he is visiting from FL (and moving to CA next month). My friend is her GodMother and she's visiting from GA at the same time. We don't know when we'll have the two of them in the same state again :)

• Options

I am not sure about any of your questions myself, but i am also wondering some other questions on this topic that I could throw in, please?:

do the parents have to be married in the catholic church? we were not because my husband was never confirmed, so is that also a problem?

Do you have to have godparents? and if so, can they be of a different religion? I understand the role of godparents is to ensure their religion is followed through with and they understand god, but if anything were to happen to us, I'd rather my best friend take care of the child, who is jewish.

Thanks for letting me throw these in with your post!!!

• Options
    We are baptizing him before he's one month old. There is no standard age, but most of us prefer to do it sooner than later. 4 months is certainly not too late. It's really up to you. We are due in October so I want to do it before the holidays, as most of my family will be flying in for the baptism and we're trying to save them on air-fare (which always spikes around Nov/Dec, as we all know).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I grew up Catholic and have been to many baptisms and I think the ages differ. Most of the time the child has been younger than 4 months old. But I have been to some where the child is closer to one year! I was baptized at 2 months, but you might have classes or something to go to before the baptism with the Godparents... Your parish will probably have a lot of info for you if you just call the secretary!  Good luck!
  • Options
    imagelifestooshort128:

I am not sure about any of your questions myself, but i am also wondering some other questions on this topic that I could throw in, please?:

do the parents have to be married in the catholic church? we were not because my husband was never confirmed, so is that also a problem?

Do you have to have godparents? and if so, can they be of a different religion? I understand the role of godparents is to ensure their religion is followed through with and they understand god, but if anything were to happen to us, I'd rather my best friend take care of the child, who is jewish.

My DH was never confirmed, and we were not married in a church at all.  They never even asked us.  You do have to have godparents.  I'm pretty sure they have to be Catholic, but I'm not 100% on that. 

imageimageimage
  • Options

imageVerbose:
    We are baptizing him before he's one month old. There is no standard age, but most of us prefer to do it sooner than later. 4 months is certainly not too late. It's really up to you. We are due in October so I want to do it before the holidays, as most of my family will be flying in for the baptism and we're trying to save them on air-fare (which always spikes around Nov/Dec, as we all know).

Cool - we are only one day apart on our due dates!

• Options
    imagelifestooshort128:

It depends on the Church/Priest if he wants you married or not - call your local parish and ask.

Usually (again - depends on the Church/Priest) atleast ONE of the GodParents needs to practice in the Church.

Naming someone to take care of your child is done in your will, but GodParents would "ensure" that LO would still attend Church and receive their Church education. 

• Options
    imagelifestooshort128:

DH and I just got some info on baptism from our church this past week...

DH and I were married in the Catholic church - I am Catholic, he is Lutheran.  We have to take 4 classes to prepare for baptism, each 2 hours long.  Our baby will need to have 1-2 Godparents and at least one must be Catholic.  Both must be active participants in their church and have to get something signed from their priest/pastor to prove it.

I really think it varies church-to-church.

• Options
    imageCarebear1517:

imageVerbose:

Haha, my husband plans on trying "every trick in the book" to get me to go into labor on the 9th (he wants a 10-10-10 birthday). He's out of his mind! I'm assuming we'll go late...

• Options

Just lurking - sorry to butt in, but in regards to the Godparents - yes, you have to have at least 1, but you can (and most people) have 2.  One must be a practicing Catholic and they must get a letter from their church stating such.  The other person can be another Christian religion, but they must be some type of Christian.  This does not (shoudl not) vary from church to church. 

The role of the Godparent is not to raise your child if something should happen to you, it is simply to help aid in the spiritual development/religious upbringing of the child.  Yes, if something were to happen to the parent, the Godparent could take the child to church, etc...  But, even if the parents are alive and well, they are to be good religious role models, etc...  That is why there is the requirement that at least one of them are Catholic. 

You can pick whomever you want to actually be named in your will (as a pp said) to raise your child, should something happen to you and YH. 

As for the OP - I had my DD baptized at 8 months old (long story), another friend of mine had her DD baptized at 5 months old.  So whatever works for you - 1 month or 4 is fine, they will not turn you away and tell you your child is to old.  You can have a child baptized at any age. 

• Options

We had our DD baptized when she was 2 months old. We did our 'pre jordan' classes before she was born and got that out of the way. Our chrurch baptizing something like the first sunday of the month kinda thing-

ANSWERS:

No- you don't have to be married in the church (contrary to what some churches might say)- our priest was trying to force us to get our marriage blessed and such- and we politely declined. (I was finishing law school- was 9 months pregnant- and it was tax season- I just didn't need one more thing on my plate).

Godparents: yes you have to have two people 'stand' for your child. ONE has to be of the Catholic faith- and he/she will need a letter of 'being in good standing' from their parish/church.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelifestooshort128:

we were not married in the catholic church and we had our daughter baptized there. We just called the church and met with someone there (it wasn;t a priest, I forget what she was) and gave a donation. you do have to have godparents, and I'm not sure about the religion part. I am not catholic and DH is, and we are the godparents to our nephew. Maybe at least 1 needs to be catholic? not sure.

As for ages, Amelia was 2m old when we had hers, our nephew was almost 6m old and at his baptism there was a 2yr old getting baptised as well, so I don't think there is an appropriate age.

• Options
    imageVerbose:
    imageCarebear1517:

imageVerbose:

Haha, my husband plans on trying "every trick in the book" to get me to go into labor on the 9th (he wants a 10-10-10 birthday). He's out of his mind! I'm assuming we'll go late...

That would be really cool to have that birthday! Wonder if the hospital/Doctor would induce labor if you guys insisted on that?

• Options
    imagepreglicious:
    imageVerbose:
    imageCarebear1517:

imageVerbose:

That would be really cool to have that birthday! Wonder if the hospital/Doctor would induce labor if you guys insisted on that?

We're doing "the natural thing" so no unnecessary inductions for me. But I bet there are a lot of people out there that want to try that. It would be a cool birthday...

• Options
    acesupacesup member
    im not Catholic - but we are planning to baptize the baby in January (im due in November). first, because I want the baby to wear the same christening gown that me, my sisters, and mother wore... and we were all baptized early, so the gown is pretty small (hopefully i dont have a BIG baby!). also, i want to have it before i return to work to make planning easier. i dont know that the church has regulations on age - i was baptized Catholic and i think it was only that early so that i could wear the gown (my mom was only 1 month old when she was baptized - she was the first to wear the gown).
  • Options
    imagepreglicious:
    imageVerbose:
    imageCarebear1517:

imageVerbose:

That would be ridiculous, dangerous and completely unnecessary. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me butt in! And for all your answers! I know the godparents raise the child "spiritually" as I said in my original post, but I was always raised that my godparents are the same people who would raise me if something were to happen, and I really like that concept.  Thanks for your help and as you can see, I have a while to think these things through!!
  • Options
    acesupacesup member
    imagelifestooshort128:

im not sure about being married in the church - but i know that at least one godparent has to be a Catholic in good standing (they need a letter from their church i believe). 

• Options
    The way the dates worked out with O, she was about 4 months old. 
  • Options
    We baptized my son at just under 3 months. For this LO, it'll be born in December, but we may wait until May to baptize him or her due to monetary issues. March just will not be feasible for us this time around.
  • Options

It's ideal to have baby baptized as soon as possible (as soon as it's safe for baby to be handled and possibly dunked!), but either of those ages (1-4 months is just fine). We will also have to follow the schedule of our parish, but I'm not sure what it will be yet, since we're moving soon.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelifestooshort128:

Ideally, you'd be married in the Church because when baptizing your child, you, as the parents, vow to raise your child in the Catholic Church. You may want to go to www.catholic.com and ask this question for further/more accurate clarification.

The vow to raise your child in the Church also is asked of the Godparents, and thus requires them to be Catholic as well. I encourage you to think about how serious you are about baptizing in the Catholic Church. I hope you will have your baby baptized with the intent of raising him/her in the faith. I am saying this with a lot of love and support of your curiosity, as a fellow Catholic. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    cja06cja06 member
    Every church is different and it is up to you when you want to baptize your baby. DS was about 6 1/2 months when we baptized him.

• Options

I agree, every church is different.

We were not married in the Catholic church.  After the baptism we renewed our vows inside the church thus making our marriage valid in the church's eyes.

Only our Godfather is Catholic.  Godmother is Presbyterian.  Godfather had to provide a letter that he was in good standing with the church.

But again, i think everything depends on the church and the priest.

• Options

And to OP, with DS we had him baptised at 3 months the week after Christmas because my brother (Godfather) would be in town.

This year, I think we'll wait until January or February just so its not so hectic.

• Options

Oh, I wanted to add that our church does not do baptisms during Lent. So that may play a role in some people's decisions for when to baptise their child. DS was born March 6, but we had to wait until after Easter to get him baptized.

Also, our church did not require a letter from either of our godparents. Perhaps they have too many to do (we have 5 - 6 baptisms a week).

• Options
    In my parish, you have to be married in the Catholic church in order to have your baby baptized. When I was taking my marriage preparation classes there were 2 couples who had been married at least 5 years already, but not in the Catholic church and the priest made them get married in our church in order to baptize their babies. And, in my parish, you only have to have 1 godparent and they must be Catholic. Look at your church's website and I'm sure it will tell you what classes you must take, how much money you must "donate", and if you have to be married Catholic. 
  • Options

I have decided to not baptize.

I do not practice my faith and I think it would be pretty hypocritical to  baptize.

I think you can be of any age.

• Options
    we baptized ds when he was 9 months.  with him being a november baby and all the holidays and over events we had going on after the holidays it was just easier to wait a little bit.  and also we needed it to be warm out, because our house is small, so that way we could have an out door party after it.  we will most likely baptize this baby around 9 months as well.

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    FWIW- no it doesn't vary from church to church... the Roman Catholic Church DOES NOT require you to be married to have your children baptized. Your parish might 'request it' ~ but that doesn't meant the POPE requires it- simple as that. You do not have to be married in the church to have your baby baptized. What do you think people that aren't married that have children out of wedlock do?- they can still have their baby baptized---
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"