Health & Exercise

Question regarding Gest Diab and throwing a shower

I am helping a friend put together a menu for a shower of someone with Gest Diabetes.  Does anyone have any advice on what sort of foods would be good for the guest of honor and what things to stay away from?

TIA

Re: Question regarding Gest Diab and throwing a shower

• i think there's a website out there for specific foods.  i'd imagine lots veggies.  very little fruit or sweets, unfortunately.
  • Salads, fruit, lean protein, whole grain crackers, would be good options for the mom-to-be...and for the rest of the group. Those with gestational diabetes needs to monitor their carbohydrate intake, and in general there are fewer carbs in foods like those mentioned above, than pastries, bagels, and other sweets. Another way to make life easier for your guest of honor would be to make sure portions are small, again something that would be good for everybody else. It isn't likely that there a particular food would be completely off limits, so don't worry too much. Hopefully your friend will have received good instruction about her diet and will be able to at least taste anything that you serve. Best, Megan Tubman, MS, RD
  • Loading the player...
  • My cousin just had a baby a few months ago and when there was a shower for her, her sisters took her dietary needs into consideration. The made thing I noticed, which I wouldn't have thought of, was there were whole grain rolls for lunchmeat and meatballs.

Lillian Annette, can't wait to meetcha! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • fruit is a no no for GD (except in small portions at the right time of day) as are starches and other high carb foods (crackers, pretzels, nachos, beans, white foods)

My SIL just gave me a shower... she served several different types of dip, some with cracker/nachos and a huge tray of veggies.  I concentrated on the veggies and allowed myself some dips.  She served cake and cookies too but I didn't touch them.

Cheese is another good food and eggs/meats/fats if you can work them in.

The other thing you can keep an eye on is the ingredient list - real foods are better than fat free b/c they have fewer carbs (the culprit of GD) and less artificial crap (the culprit of pg IMO) e.g. real peanut butter or real sour cream vs the fat free or light versions of either.

Moderation is key for this type of event.  Hopefully your friend knows by now what to watch out for.

You're a good person to ask this for her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"