Postpartum Depression

New here....

I have been on the Knot/Nest/Bump what seems like forever now and I never realized this board existed. 

I was recently diagnosed w/ depression and anxiety. My dr feels that it is stemming from PPD/PPA even though my DD is 18 months old. I had feelings of depression and anxiety shortly after having my DD but never addressed it as I was in denial. I got increasingly worse after her first birthday. It took my husband and a good friend to convince me to seek help. Once diagnosed I had to ween my DD from nursing(that set off a whole new set of emotions) then I began taking Citalopram which did not agree with me at all. I was then switched to Pristiq..the first few weeks were great and I was starting to feel a little better. About 2 weeks ago it seemed to stop working. The past two weeks have been very tough for me. The stressors in my life have been amped up and it is causing major havoc on my marriage. My husband is very supportive but is not sure how to handle it all. I feel bad that sometimes I end up lashing out on him and then I get a horrible sense of guilt. I know he is trying to help. I am really scared that I am driving my husband away and ruining our marriage. I met with my dr again today and he once again suggested that I speak to a therapist in addition to the meds. I have met with several therapists in the past and never felt comfortable with them. Also, one of my stressors right now is $$, my health insurance is horrible and I am responsible for a $50 copay each time I see a therapist. I really hope that I find a therapist I like and it is worth the $50 a pop. 

Thank you for letting me get that out. Ok so maybe it will feel good to talk w/ a therapist.  

Re: New here....

• I'm not sure if this will help or not, but a few years ago, DH and I went to "marriage counseling".  I call it that because at the time, we thought that is what it was.  We were having a very tough time.  Little did I realize that it all stemmed from a loss that I suffered and never dealt with (ectopic pregnancy and tube removal).  Most employers offer an employee assistance program - I.E. free counselling sessions.  For us, it was 5 sessions.  It helped us sooo much!  Come to find out, we really weren't having "marital" problems per se, I just wasn't letting him help me deal with issues.  Dealing with that has helped tremendously with my PPD, as I have learned to ask DH for help.  I still lash out at him, but he has also learned to take it in stride.  Feel free to PM me if you want more information.  HTH, and GL!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"