Breastfeeding
Options

marijuana use

anyone know if occasional marijuana use affects breastfeeding? what about use while away from baby on vacation and pumping and dumping? No flames please!  I have NOT been smoking and BFing....i'm just curious
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: marijuana use

• Options

You shouldn't smoke cigarettes so you shouldn't smoke marijuana.  I don't know about the pump and dump thing.  I

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wanted to say the same thing but was trying not to flame. LOL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    everyone can calm down....i was pretty sure that was the case.  i am a stable person with my own home and good career.  i would never put my child's life in jeopardy.  Like i said, i was just wondering what you have heard about this.  thank you girls!  =)
  • Options
    First I have to say that my heart breaks for your LO. Marijuana is a drug! A DRUG! What part of that do you not understand? Drugs are not good for the adult brain/body much less an infant! Drug use is not acceptable behavior for anyone, especially parents and breastfeeding mothers. If I wasn't getting ready to leave work I would flame the sh!t out of you even more. For your LO's sake please reconsider doing any sort of drug while you bf.
  • Options
    Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • Options
    you girls are funny. i havent done drugs while pregnant or BFing. Marijuana isn't crack.  I'm from california, where it's partially legal.   You girls should be ashamed of yourselves.  People should be able to ask any questions they have on here.  Isn't it better to not do something and ask about/research it first? With responses like the ones above, girls will be ashamed to seek out the information they need to make decisions.  Would your response be the same if someone asked about taking anti-depressants or drinking alcohol with BFing? Shame on you.
  • Options

imagemelisgood:
    you girls are funny. i havent done drugs while pregnant or BFing. Marijuana isn't crack.  I'm from california, where it's partially legal.   You girls should be ashamed of yourselves.  People should be able to ask any questions they have on here.  Isn't it better to not do something and ask about/research it first? With responses like the ones above, girls will be ashamed to seek out the information they need to make decisions.  Would your response be the same if someone asked about taking anti-depressants or drinking alcohol with BFing? Shame on you.

Firstly, in CA pot is partially legal for medical reasons, right?  I'm guessing smoking up at on vacay isn't really medical.  I love a dirty hippie as much as the next gal, but come on.  Marijuana isn't crack, but it isn't spinach either.  So, let's not act like it's harmless.  And, if you know you might get flamed, it might be worth googling something prior to asking on The Bump.  Just a thought.  

No, my response would not be the same if someone asked about anti-depressants or drinking alcohol while BFing.  Those things are legal.  In all states.  And, you can have a glass of wine without getting drunk.  You can't smoke a joint without getting high. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageakl0506:

imagemelisgood:

Firstly, in CA pot is partially legal for medical reasons, right?  I'm guessing smoking up at on vacay isn't really medical.  I love a dirty hippie as much as the next gal, but come on.  Marijuana isn't crack, but it isn't spinach either.  So, let's not act like it's harmless.  And, if you know you might get flamed, it might be worth googling something prior to asking on The Bump.  Just a thought.  

No, my response would not be the same if someone asked about anti-depressants or drinking alcohol while BFing.  Those things are legal.  In all states.  And, you can have a glass of wine without getting drunk.  You can't smoke a joint without getting high. 

• Options
    imageorthomom:
    imageakl0506:

imagemelisgood:

I have to agree with MELISGOOD.

As a physician I think people need to be able to ask questions without being judged. She was asking a question before doing something that could be potentially harmful to her child...that was very responsible. She also asked not to be flamed!

I agree that marijuana is illegal and "not spinach" and "not crack". But alcohol is also a drug even though it is legal. While you can dose yourself with alcohol (as PP said a glass of wine) and not with marijuana..drinking alcohol harms more children (by irresponsible parenting) than marijuana does. I would say that both can be harmful and both can be used responsibly. Due to the lack of knowledge about breastfeeding and marijuana I wouldn't use it while BFing, but she shouldn't be flamed for asking and self-righteous responses regarding parenting and marijuana should only be given by those who never get drunk!!!

• Options

kellymom is a good resource:

https://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html 

"because street drugs are rarely pure, marijuana may be laced with other drugs or substances that can also be harmful to the breastfeeding baby.

The active ingredient in marijuana, THC, will be stored in mom's fat tissues for long periods (weeks to months) and will build up in the body with continued use. Small to moderate secretion into breastmilk has been documented, and THC is concentrated in human milk."  

• Options

imagemelisgood:

No, you should be ashamed of wanting to do drugs while you're breastfeeding. Shame on you for putting your LO at risk.

• Options

Wow! I am a little surprised by the way everyone has responded to this post. I have read a lot of posts re: people going to get drunk and pumping and dumping. I find it surprising that the response here is different. Both are DRUGS. Alcohol is as dangerous as marijuana...probably more so. It causes more health problems and deaths than marijuana does. Though I agree it should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding I find the venom with which people responded to be a little excessive.

Kellymom.com is a great resource and the fact that it is mentioned there is great. I think that Melisgood will probably never ask another question here and that is a shame because this is a good resource and support group, too.

• Options
    imageorthomom:

Wow! I am a little surprised by the way everyone has responded to this post. I have read a lot of posts re: people going to get drunk and pumping and dumping. I find it surprising that the response here is different. Both are DRUGS. Alcohol is as dangerous as marijuana...probably more so. It causes more health problems and deaths than marijuana does. Though I agree it should not be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding I find the venom with which people responded to be a little excessive.

Kellymom.com is a great resource and the fact that it is mentioned there is great. I think that Melisgood will probably never ask another question here and that is a shame because this is a good resource and support group, too.

Well, I am not going out and getting drunk while BFing.  So, the fact that I am critical of smoking weed while BFing isn't really that far off...

Although I certainly agree that ppl should be able to ask questions on here, I think a little common sense should also be used.  But, then, I am not a believer in "there are no dumb questions".  There are dumb questions.  Furthermore, I am just not that open minded of a person to think that thinking about doing weed while a parent, and a BFing mother at that, is a good idea.  I just can't be so open minded that my brain falls out - sorry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input.  I had read a bit online about marijuana use and BFing and knew it wasn't the wisest choice since there hasn't been much research and the THC goes into the milk.  Honestly, I was just a bit curious how people would respond.  I guess I like to play the devil's advocate sometime.  Just because something is "legal" does not make it okay.  As responsible adults we have to use good judgment. I had read about people using marijuana during pregnancy to help with morning sickness and it also has a history of being used during childbirth to help with pain.  As a nurse myself I find these topics interesting. Like I said before, calm down everyone, I am not smoking and BFing.  
  • Options
    I think some of ya'll should do a little research before you berate a person for just asking a question.  The people who need to grow up are the ones who need to open there minds and forget the myths people try to tell you about marijuana.  It is ok to smoke marijuana while pregnant and breastfeeding as indicated by the research done on it.  I think a couple of ya'll could use a good strong joint to loosen you up.  You claim to be an adult and then you treat your fellow adults like crap.  How very adult of you.  It seems that this is not the website to find answers to medical questions because these people are definitely not doctors and have no idea what they're talking about.
  • Options
    Christie, you are absolutely right. This is NOT the website to come to for medical advice. I think everybody on here would agree with that statement.
  • Options
    While I will say I dont recommend any use of drugs, alcohol, caffeine and anything that is questionable for baby while pregnant. I also must say I'm disappointed. I'm a nurse on an ob floor and too often I see young women come in pregnant too soon. I have realized a lot of this is due to the ignorance and stubbornness of family and friends. Reading some of these responses make me realize we aren't that from the dark ages that sent young women to marriage beds with no knowledge of what was to happen. This was of course due to the fact that talking about anything was taboo. In this day and age of women empowerment and knowledge I would think I would be able to have faith in the leaders or adults but once again I am mistaken. Thank god there were women in history willing to stand up to the taboo. Allowing discussions about anything even if they didnt agree. They too had to deal with the vicious and vile responses by their peers. I pray for those of you that have daughters and responded with hatefully comments to a question. NOT USE BUT A QUESTION. Those are at times the mothers of the young girls who were too afraid to ask questions so found out the hard way. As a child I'm sure you all did not think your questions were DUMB. II have adults everyday who haven't the slightest idea what an abdomen is or even that they have a pancreas. As we were taught in school there is no such thing as a dumb question because no one knows everything. Another thing to ponder on you same women with the vicious responses should remember you tell your children as they grow not to bully but some of this sure sounds like bullying just using an adults frame of mind. I was excited to join the bump this is my first pregnancy. It has been long awaited because I wanted to finish college, get the job, home and the whole package. After seeing some of these post I would recommend finding a more open forum. We are too advanced to be so ignorant and mean to one another. It's time to grow up we are all parents now!!
  • Options
    This is a post from June 2010... How did you get to the point of responding to this, @mindright1 ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"